What winch have you got and why?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante

Reaction score
Because I am in the market for a winch AND because we are nearing tax return season, I would like to know what winch you have why you bought it.

I am very tempted by the Tigerz varieties purely because of the price however the allure of an exxy Warn is also a tasty proposition... What about a mid-range Ironman? Wire cable or synthetic rope? So many options! :)

So, what do you have and why? Got any tales from the trails? :)

I've got the supercheap ridge ryder 9500lb with wire cable and wireless controller. Haven't used it yet so can't say anything else about it except in freespool it is hard to pull out.

I've got a runva 11xp. good price, came with rope and i have done some pretty solid recoveries with it no problems at all, it has been on the beach heaps had been through a fair bit of water and mud and isn't showing any signs of giving up. has a decent warranty to. whether they honour it or not who knows.

Runva, XP11 love it and it has one of the best warrenties i have come across.

Ive got a cheap ebay 12000lbs winch.its now 2 yrs old and i have done some pretty nasty recoverys and log pulling with it.its got a steel cable that is now like a pig tail once unwound but it always works..im in the salt...mud and water..its due for a teardown but im not expecting to find much.cost was $280 shipped.was the cheapest i could find...its got a large amp draw and its slow but its performed flawlessly for 2 yrs unserviced.
Not saying buy one but just saying the cheap ones are probably all o.k

Runva 11xp great price at around $650 wih rope + all the parts you need. Ive used it heaps at Stockton Beach hasnt failed yet.

I've got an Aldi (AutoXS) winch, steel cable, it's done a couple of recoveries, pulled a few stumps out of the ground, straightened one clothesline and broke another.

It comes with a wireless controller but in my experience (specifically, when you're trying to straighten a clothesline) it doesn't react fast enough and the result is not what you expected (I broke the damn clothesline).

I reckon it'd be good for pulling fences over, ripping brick columns down, or cutting cars in half that are parked across your driveway (always reverse into your driveway).

What price was that aldi tony?wireless remote is definatly not a precision tool...how old is your aldi too?

My Aldi winch cost me $299 (I waited for the rush to subside, the boxes are so large and heavy they discount them almost 2 weeks after they go on sale). It's a couple of years old now, I think I got it mid 2011. It still works - pulled a bottle brush out of the ground not that long ago with it.

Their bloody handy for a yard cleanup arent they...plus their ment to be used not just to look at.most trips i do i hookup to the truck towball and unwind down a hill....then rewind back up...thats as close to a service as it gets.

I have a grande 12000lb winch. Only used it as a tree remover so far. Lucky enough not to have needed it off road yet but it's there if I do

Tigerz11 grande 12000lb. Goes hard and is cheap. Worth the risk I thought and am happy with it.
Tony, I have a spare clutch and motor off an autoxs winch if u r interested in spares.
Pm me if ur interested.

I hadn't even thought of pulling mine apart to do anything with it. In fact, I didn't even know it could - the first Aldi winch I bought didn't seem to be rebuildable, this one might be but for the cost of them it's difficult to justify putting a spanner to it. The source has changed too, so there's a great chance that bits from one won't necessarily fit another.

I've contemplated changing the steel wire for rope, but if memory serves the rope I saw at ARB cost more than the winch I was putting it on to, so I left it on the shelf.

Might be worth having as a spare. We'd better check the exact model information out first!

I have the aldi xs auto winch as well. Cost $350 and have done a couple of recoveries with it no issue and the odd yard cleanup. Price was a big thing for me. If i was to wait until i had the money to buy a warn i still wouldn't have a winch. Have had it 18 months or so. Only problem i have is a collapsed bearing in the bottom roller which i will have to try and source a replacement for.

Last edited:
Have got an Ironman 12000lb that I've had for a few years now and awhile back changed from the wire to rope. Best thing ever. Have done several recoveries on other vehicles(2xhilux, 1xMaverick) and a long direct pull up a steep incline on the Navara as well as several tree stumps and fence posts. The recoveries and yard duties have all gone well. The only problem to date has been water / condensation ingress into the controll box causing rust and earthing issues. A quick clean of earth wire and contacts and a coating of battery terminal sray and no further problems. My son is actually looking at the Runva XP not only for price and reviews but they claim to have a watertight controll box which after my experience I think is an important point. As others have said they have to be used occasionally even if it just to unwind & respool.

WayneD4T

My control box was suppose to be sealed also...it definatly wasnt.i ended up getting a sealed project box from jaycar and put everthing in it.basically just to avoid those problems.

I have a warn xd9000 that i bought second hand for around the price of a new chinese job.
The beautiful thing about warn is that every part is replaceable and parts are easy to get hold of as well as diagrams for servicing.
You will have the warn for ever.

Latest posts

Back