Water leak/drip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow D22ers
I have just noticed a very slow water drip coming from a pipe approx 12mm diam. that comes out of the firewall on the passenger side of engine bay just near the heatshield of exhaust. It sticks out about 2 inches has a 90degree bend for another 2 inches towards ground.
I am hoping its just some sort of air conditioning condensation overflow but it seems to be dripping constantly.
Any advice appreciated.

I recommend turning the air con OFF, starting the engine (go for a drive even) and then stop and take another look.

Also, check the colour of the fluid. Radiator coolant is bright green.

Its for the air con.

Run coolent in the motor unless you want electrolisis eating the engine away from the inside.

Dave.

No Perth
it was humid today tho.
I havnt been near car for 8 days when I got home I noticed damp patch where it has been parked.
Went for 10 minute drive this morning with air con on.
After shifting the car this afternoon (ran for 1 minute) drip is still dripping 4 hours later.approx 1 drip every 15 to 30 seconds.

Its condensation build up.My D22 does it also.If you are worried take it past the dealership.
They may think you are silly but it is better to be safe than sorry.Is your aircon still cold.
Are you ;oosing water out of the cooling system.It may be a heater core but I dought it very much.

It's going to be condensation.

Get a cold beer and sit it on the bench. Water starts collecting - from the atmosphere - because it is drawn to the cooler surface where it accumulates and forms droplets. Oddly enough, that's how rainclouds are also formed. You're brewing the same environment inside your air conditioner - a cold surface. Air conditioners de-humidify rooms through this process, that's why household air conditioners have drain tubes.

The condensation will collect for a considerable time afterwards as the cooler unit inside the cabin returns to ambient temperature. The air conditioning system makes that unit extremely cold and it retains that coolness for some time.

Since you really only need a couple of degrees of temperature difference for condensation to form, it WILL be hours (on a moderate day) before it stops collecting condensation from the air and dripping on the ground.

Things that I would check:

1) How wet your floor mats are. If you have a lot of moisture in the vehicle you will see a lot more humidity inside the vehicle and therefore a lot more condensation. Check door seals for leaks. Moisture under your carpets will destroy the floor pan.

2) Get proper coolant into that radiator, and fast. Dave's advice is right - if the coolant becomes a conductor, it will electrically eat away at your engine rusting the thing to bits in no time at all.

3) Put a clean oil drip tray in your garage where this hose drops. Collect some of the fluid and examine it. It should be clear and have no smell - that's condensation of atmospheric humidity. The higher the general humidity the greater the quantity collected.

Yeah its air con
Coolant now green ,drip is clear,only present after using air con.
The reason I asked such a dumb arse question is I have about 2 months used car warranty so I am keen to sort out anything possibly wrong asap,so thanks very much for the replies fellas.

It's not a dumb question unless we've already answered you before. One person gets on an asks a question, but dozens of people are actually interested in the answer.

Glad we could help.

hey there 2006 d22 2-5dt 2wd double cab, got a drip coming from underdash down to floor mat,seems to be driping of wire loom. any help would br great

+1 for the drain. If the vehicle's seen some dust, it might be full of dirt that, having gotten wet, has turned to mud and dried. The manual doesn't describe a leak as a problem but does indicate that the cooling unit is on the left of centre, so it'd be just above the right foot of a passenger stretching their legs. There should be a tube close to the firewall that runs straight out.

I'd see to that sooner rather than later, if the box is so full of water that it's overflowing at the top, it could be causing other issues with the evaporator unit.

Latest posts

Back