Tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hadjisenior

Reaction score
Hi all, just posting for the first time and would like some advice on tyres for my D40 auto. Don't go offroad and mainly rural town running and pulling a caravan around. Not interested in going offroad if I can help it. The original Dunlop AT20 Grandtrek's just lasted 60,000 klms. Any opinions on good replacement tyres?

You must be happy with getting 60000 from the stock tyres. That must be a nearly a record. I'd suggest the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ 5-Rib, great in the wet and track very well. Most Highway tyres just won't last like a good AT hence i am suggesting a AT even though your not going offroad.

Welcome to the forum!

My Contis lasted 43,000km and might have gotten me to 45,000km but with one punctured and the rest looking sad I decided to replace them. BF Goodrich ATs are on, have done 24,000km with them so far and they're still looking really good.

I'd suggest that you stay with the standard tyre size (255/70R16) as well. Increasing the tyre size might make your speedo APPEAR to be more accurate, but it's only the needle you're influencing - the ECU knows how fast you are actually going (on standard tyre sizes) and your odometer is quite accurate. Changing tyre size will change that.

Going up in tyre size will also reduce your fuel economy. I'm using at least one more litre per hundred km with the 2% larger tyres I have now (265/70R16). If I'd gone to 265/75R16s I'm sure it'd be worse again.

If that's not the worst - your car will also "feel" slower. The gearbox and diff ratios were chosen with the 255/70R16 tyres in mind.

Back