Dual mass flywheel clutch gone at 14,000km!! for 2nd time

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringthenav

Reaction score
Hi guys. My clutch seems to have gone. Again.
Bought this 2007 D40 Vsk with 290000 on clock, with receipt for a heavy duty dual mass flywheel clutch conversion kit fitout that previous owner pais over $3000 for.
Clutch slipped & went on me a month after i got it less than a couple thousand ks.
Looked as though is went by around 20,000!

I had it replaced with another HD Dual mass at cost of $2500, inc $1400 for clutch kit .. 1.5 yr ago. It said on receipt flywheel machined.
Pretty sure i wanted a new flywheel & for a $1400 kit youd expect one.

Clutch just began slipping over past few drives over 1000km or so got terminal.
It appears to have gone again, at about 14,000km !!

Nav has a ecb bullbar, canopy, titan drawers and is always filled with a few hundred kilos of sh*t since i have ran it.

*Lookin at converting back to single mass
Whats peoples thoughts on that.
i figure it may last longer.
my bro in law is a good mechanic, he reckons dual mass clutches are pieces of sht & makw no difference from single mass.

Q's
Do these duals change a bit smoother but at expense of clutch life??
Should i change it back to a single mass kit??
Are dual mass better??
Which lasts longer??
Shouldnt i get 100,000 or maybe more out of either clutch !!!!!! ?
Why am i only getting 20,000 or less??
Could the master & or slave cylinder be to blame??!???!!!!!

Looking at getting him to help me and going back to a single mass, with a NEW flywheel & NEW throw & spigot bearings...
maybe even NEW clutch fork??
Then replace the MASTER & SLAVE immediately asap after as soon as can afford it

All thoughts and advice welcome. Cheers

what part of the clutch has actually failed? is its the disc or the dual mass itself? the flywheel getting chewed up?
some time ago there was a certain brand whose HD clutches where just crap.
this might simply be an issue of buying a bad product.

what part of the clutch has actually failed? is its the disc or the dual mass itself? the flywheel getting chewed up?
some time ago there was a certain brand whose HD clutches where just crap.
this might simply be an issue of buying a bad product.
Hi. Unknown which part until my mate & i pull it down which part failed.

I asked the mechanic referred to me as being good to fit an exedy heavy duty..
he said thats the usual norm & what he does or something like that.

I can describe the symptoms to give u more pf a clue which part failed in meantime...

I began to feel a very short momentary vibration feeling when hitting 4000 juat before changing out of 3rd, or maybe even 2nd to 3rd occasionally if really booting it to get up to 100kmh like a quiet rumble at the high end of the acceleration curve, that felt like it certainly came from the clutch.. as soon as engaging clutch in whatever gear its smooth n flawless & shifting to 3rd or 4th all is smooth at every point in the shift abd after the shift.

I had the Navara running extremely well .. fitted a tillix valve, 22psi plus every gear, nav going so well.. in the month before this became more frequent where upon i noticed it every time the engine was cranking up to 4000 and on full boost... i would back off my accel momentarily to not encourage it to get worse.

I began to notice slipping then.. which got worse every drive, until the point i could barely cruise up hills or my driveway...
the only thing keeping it moving was the wicked boost i was making.

totally slipped so much now i wouldnt even drive it anywhere but onto a tow truck.

Could it be as simple as this?
Or the slave or master failing.. causing it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109-233243.png
    Screenshot_20240109-233243.png
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
possible its a rusted slave cyl and its sticking. worth checking while you pull everything out.
Yeah its possible, after reading that thread i posted the pic of they had a mechanic pull the whole clutch n replace it as was sticking,
to find the clutch was fresh as..
waste of time n money,
a little fork adjustment on the slave & they were gold.

i think i will try adjust fork/slave ..pedal distance first as per that thread,
then if needed swap over the Slave & Master (theyre cheap as so why not),
then see of its still good and was just sticking.

i'll keep u posted

possible its a rusted slave cyl and its sticking. worth checking while you pull everything out.
I've had a look at the Master & Slave.
The slave may indeed be rusted.

i saw one yt vid of changing length of the slave bolt in the case of the fork sitting too far left, and had used a different bolt to position the fork in the middle of the area.

My fork on slave sitting to the far right,
and when pedal held in sits to the middle.
That seems different to the video!!

not sure if its right or wrong.

I need to view more videos on what it should look like under there..
plus vids on replacing slave as am new to it on the D40.

I attach pics of the slave fork position with the clutch pedal pushed in... and not pushed in.

Attachments

• IMG_20240111_133922481_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240111_133922481_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240111_134818454_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240111_134818454_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi guys. My clutch seems to have gone. Again.
Bought this 2007 D40 Vsk with 290000 on clock, with receipt for a heavy duty dual mass flywheel clutch conversion kit fitout that previous owner pais over $3000 for.
Clutch slipped & went on me a month after i got it less than a couple thousand ks.
Looked as though is went by around 20,000!

I had it replaced with another HD Dual mass at cost of $2500, inc $1400 for clutch kit .. 1.5 yr ago. It said on receipt flywheel machined.
Pretty sure i wanted a new flywheel & for a $1400 kit youd expect one.

Clutch just began slipping over past few drives over 1000km or so got terminal.
It appears to have gone again, at about 14,000km !!

Nav has a ecb bullbar, canopy, titan drawers and is always filled with a few hundred kilos of sh*t since i have ran it.

*Lookin at converting back to single mass
Whats peoples thoughts on that.
i figure it may last longer.
my bro in law is a good mechanic, he reckons dual mass clutches are pieces of sht & makw no difference from single mass.

Q's
Do these duals change a bit smoother but at expense of clutch life??
Should i change it back to a single mass kit??
Are dual mass better??
Which lasts longer??
Shouldnt i get 100,000 or maybe more out of either clutch !!!!!! ?
Why am i only getting 20,000 or less??
Could the master & or slave cylinder be to blame??!???!!!!!

Looking at getting him to help me and going back to a single mass, with a NEW flywheel & NEW throw & spigot bearings...
maybe even NEW clutch fork??
Then replace the MASTER & SLAVE immediately asap after as soon as can afford it

All thoughts and advice welcome. Cheers

I had this problem collected a 2007 model brand new drove it 10 miles from dealer clutch went .
Nissan could not believe it they said i carried to much weight or towed something over weight
they were puzzled when i told them i had only had the truck 30 mins
when i looked into this i found this was a major fault on 2006 models found i had a 2006 plated 2007 .
this was in the garage 3 times in 1 year 3 clutches it never got sorted .
i am now on my 7th Navara 120000 miles no problems and never had a clutch on any off the others
love to know what the reg is

Latest posts

Back