Turbo power coming on and off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starkerz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here. Anyways I've got a 2008 d22 navara str and there seems to be something wrong with turbo or ecu or I dunno what.. I've looked over the forum for ours trying to find something similar and havnt seen anything.

So basically what happens is sometimes when changing gears, more so when i change gears hard and kicks back abit, there's massive turbo lag like when the turbo should kick in it doesn't and just nothing happens and then it will randomly come back it and sometimes when it does cause it comes on quick it like jerks it and cuts out again. It's like there's a loose wire or pipe or something that when you change gears or engine/gearbox is shunted it stops the turbo and there's no power what so ever. A couple of times I've had to pull over and turn it of and wait abit then start it and it will be perfectly fine as if nothing was wrong.

I've taken it to Toyota mechanics (father inlaw runs it) and they couldn't find anything wrong with it..

Any advice or any clues on what the problem could be are much appreciated! Also if anyone knows a good mechanic that would like know how to fix in Perth that won't charge an arm and a leg would be great!

Thanks
-Simon

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like its the boost solenoid that has failed..

Maybe if d22's had a boost solenoid... My thoughts would be over boost, but as far as I know d22's with the yd25 don't even have a boost sensor. My next thought would be fuel pressure too high, especially if you are nailing it and then change gear and get straight back into it. What rpms are you doing when you shift gears for that to happen? Also, where abouts in Perth are you? There are quite a few Perth people on here who might be able to help you out

Thanks for the replys!! Usually around 3000 rpm. I'm in Beeliar. Yeh I've read up abit on the neutral position switch but doesn't that only play up in 3rd and 4th gear?? Mine does it in any gear even taking of quick in 1st sometimes..

is it stock or have you got a chip / exhaust? i can take off quick and change gear around 3500-4000 rpm and don't have any strange issues like that, although it does have a bit of turbo lag. any lights on the dash when it looses power or does it just die?

someone else seems to be having similar issues with an 08 model, he is changing the accelerator pedal assembly to see if that fixes his issue as he has changed pretty much everything else... maybe see if that thread is any help. this is it here http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=18760

Check to see if the wastegate is working correctly,vac lines, or if the acuator rod is free and not tight.

Back