Trailer or Roof rack

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out the best way to increase the luggage capacity of my Terrano for camping with the whole family...

Roof racks and a cargo basket will set me back about the same as a good trailer.

What would you do and why ?

Depends what you plan on doing. I'd rather no height restriction if hitting tracks and stuff despite the fact that many hit tracks with stuff on the roof. But a trailer may be more restrictive when/i you stop and need car parks on your trip.

Trailers are handy for things around the home as well, Tip run garden supplies, But you need some where to store it as well

What he ^ said. Plus so long as keep the track the same once it' s up and running at speed there drag is heaps less.
Drag is what puts up your fuel consumption wieght has little impact.

Roof rack any day of the week, I've a trailer everyday for work and it drives me nuts, can't get parking anywhere and it takes heaps more right foot on the highway to overtake.

id go roof racks but more because i do allot of offroad work and have seen how trailers can quite easily get hung up on errosion mounds and ruts, roof clearance isnt an issue, if its in the way out bush, cut it down and move it

+1 for what ONLOCK said.

If you are out bush trying to climb wet clay hills, the dead weight of the trailer will be enough to bring you to a halt at times.

Just promise not to roll it with the weight on the roof.

I'd look at how much stuff you want to carry and then look at what the dynamic load you're allowed to carry on your roof is. It's an important factor. Our Navaras can only carry 95kg up top while on the move, but can support about 250Kg when stopped.

If you can organise the heavy stuff into the car and only have bulky light stuff up the top - and you can keep it dry and clean, because sure as eggs it'll bloody pour down when you go out without that sort of protection - then do it.

The other side of the coin is how handy a trailer can be, as has been pointed out. It needs to be stored, it needs to be remembered when overtaking or parking and it will use more fuel than loading up the roof, but it will carry a lot more too.

We used to take a loaded 6x8 box trailer behind our Magna wagon, which was filled to the roof in the back. The trailer would have a tarp placed inside underneath everything, then another over the top of the ropes tying everything down with a trailer net holding it all in place.

It depends on what you want to do with the vehicle too. If you want to do desert sand driving, forget the trailer it's too much dead weight. For formed tracks or roads, the trailer won't be too much of a bother.

Roof rack any day of the week, it takes heaps more right foot on the highway to overtake.
Of course it will. After all your accelerating more mass. Laws of physics will dictate this. However at a constant speed which most of the trip will be. The less drag of the trailer will bring you out in front.

So I bought a trailer today. 6X4X400mm deep for under $500 in very good usable condition...

Cheers for all the input fellas. 2 things swayed me to a trailer

1 The versatility of a trailer around home.
2 Permanent storage for the camping gear @ the hook up and piss off factor.

Latest posts

Back