2023 Navara D23 (NP300) Steering Feels Like It's Clunking, Knocking And Going Through Notches. Safe To Drive?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2023D23NP300

Reaction score
I have a 2023 D23 NP300 with 20k kms on it, had it serviced by Nissan on the intervals of: 1k, 10k and 20k, basically brand new. Have had a few problems, mostly minor, like seatbelt creaks and gearbox randomly making a loud bang when shifting, none of which were fixed as the technicians stated they weren't major faults. Last week, I noticed the steering clunks and goes through notches when I'm turning at slow speeds, u turn or parking. Like when an X head screwdriver is too small for the screw, but it ever so slightly brushes and slips on the edges of the screw head. The more I turn, the more notches I feel it's clunking through.
Took it down to the Nissan service centre and was told the steering was 'Loose'... -Insert my raging silence. They'll order a steering rack of some sort and have told me to wait.... I've ordered seatbelt mechanisms 2-3 months ago, till now it hasn't arrived. A bud has a 2022 Pro-4X with faulty brakes which causes it to vibrate under braking, waited for a year until his new brakes arrived.
I kindly need help from anyone who may know or have gone through what this problem with my steering is, and most importantly, will it still be safe to drive?
In a month, this truck will be my daily. It's comforting to know if I can drive it as usual, or should take special care, as I constantly average 160-190kmh on freeways since my commutes are lengthy.
Thanks!

Tldr: Steering knocks when I turn, what's the cause? And because parts take a long time to arrive. Is it still safe to drive?

Bonus: As I was leaving after I was informed by the technicians of the issue, another NP300 rolled up and had the exact same complaint of the steering, we had a good laugh about it, so I guess it seems like a common issue of NP300s? But yet again, I've spent hours browsing through countless D23 forums and I still can't find anyone having this exact issue. So I've resorted to posting this. It would be really helpful for anyone to help me identify this problem. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back