Timing Chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was speaking to a mechanic in my car club at a meeting on the weekend. I haven't seen him in a while, not since I brought the Navara. He was shocked that I bought one, with the timming chain issues they have. Is this true do the have a timming chain issue, and if so do they give any warning before they let go?

Also can a normal mechanic replace it or dose nissan have to do it? And is there an aftermarket option that's better quality then the original one? Mine isn't making any noise at the moment but he lead me to believe, that they just go without warning. Now I 'm almost concidering getting rid of it, while the going good. Or am I being over paranoid about it all. It's a 2009 D40 with 96000klms on the clock.

Yep, easily fixed with better components. Do a search mate and you will find heaps. That is of course, IF yours is one that suffers a problem. There are many, many thousands out there running perfectly.

Doc is spot on, do a search and you will see what your options are as far as after market replacements both in double row upgrade kits and single row replacements.

Nissan must realise there is issues out there have replaced allot of chains in cars that are well out of warranty under so called "GOOD WILL" BUT as Doc pointed out there are thousands out there that have no need of replacement and are going just fine so dont freak out. Also most of the cases i have heard of people have heard the engine getting a louder then usual "RATTLE" and have got to the replacements before any real probs, so again dont freak out just keep it in mind that if you do start to hear the engine get noisy then an inspection of the chain is prob a good idea and is pretty easy to do.

Its getting into the danger zone zone now but unless there is some weird sounds I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Thanks fellas yeah no loud noises yet, I guess all I can do is listen out for some. So hopefully it's a good one, if not I definitely get a double row. So can a normal mechanic do it or is it a job for Nissan?

has anyone done a double row timing chain conversion? If so can i be confident that this one will last the life of the engine. I have mine apart at the moment and the bottom chain is very loose, but i also need a new clutch, suspension. So the $ are adding up. Not whinging just trying to make an informed decision to either fix cheaply and run or do properly and keep. Any input would be much appreciated.

Do it properly mate, with a double-row conversion. Even though mine is not making noise, since I intend on keeping the vehicle long-term it's cheap insurance.

Back