timing chain mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jace3.0td

Reaction score
saw on ebay (co.uk version) advert from billcar eng in uk about d40 one of the timming chains snapping at about 60k? there ofering a duplex chain to replace single nissan one.

saw on ebay (co.uk version) advert from billcar eng in uk about d40 one of the timming chains snapping at about 60k? there ofering a duplex chain to replace single nissan one.

Could be something to think about too....talking to a bloke at work today whose timing chain went cactus.....he had the work done at Ultratune in Townsville and it cost him a shade more than $7000.....seems a bit outrageous to me be I don't know what is involved in a timing chain replacement.

The timing chain is supposed to rattle like crazy when it's loose, and before it snaps.

$7,000 is a lot of coin an I think it's a bit more than it should be. The thing isn't easy to get to - half the front of the motor has to come apart. Actually that's an understatement. ALL of the front of the motor has to come apart. Even still, it's several hours work and at $200 an hour it is going to hit you for $1,000-$1,200 at the most in labour. If the chain costs $5,000 I'm going to go into business selling the buggers for $4,000 because I know for damn certain they aren't going to wholesale for more than $500 each.

As for them failing @ 60,000km - we're past that point in ours now, and no major rattles up front, so I'm assuming ours is all good.

well there suply and fitting charge is £1080 inc uk vat (20%) so id buy there kit for say half that and retail it in oz for vastly inflated price lol

The timing chain is supposed to rattle like crazy when it's loose, and before it snaps.

$7,000 is a lot of coin an I think it's a bit more than it should be. The thing isn't easy to get to - half the front of the motor has to come apart. Actually that's an understatement. ALL of the front of the motor has to come apart. Even still, it's several hours work and at $200 an hour it is going to hit you for $1,000-$1,200 at the most in labour. If the chain costs $5,000 I'm going to go into business selling the buggers for $4,000 because I know for damn certain they aren't going to wholesale for more than $500 each.

As for them failing @ 60,000km - we're past that point in ours now, and no major rattles up front, so I'm assuming ours is all good.

Yeah I'm with you there Tony.....I'm guessing, although he didn't say as much, that he did much much more damage than simply stretching the chain. Like you I'm past 60km and still all good. In fact apart from the changing of the torque converter at around 1500km I've had nothing go wrong.

Old Tony, my 07 STX diesel had a chain problems at 85000kms, tensioners and guides had worn, the chain became loose and jumped every cog, causing the chain to chip every tooth on every cog. Fortunatly, the car was still under warranty through mike carny toyota. We were without the car for six weeks, labour and parts cost was around $10,000. Front of the engine had to come off, front axle as well to remove the sump. Every cog, chain, guide, tensioner, seals, the lot was replaced to there credit and my thankfullness.....
If the chain has a rattel then have it inspected asap.

Hi Guys,

After seeing this thread and possibly having a suspect noisey timing chain i emailed billcar for a supply only price on the kit with the new chain and this was the reply i got

Hi Sean

The timing chain kit is complete with the lower modified chain.We have to do a modification to the brake vacuum pump,We need your vacuum pump can you let me know if you could send me your pump.If not ill have to find pump for you ? . The standard set costs are as follows-----

Timing chain kit £275.00 uk
Gear kit £85.00 uk
Vacuum pump modified £165.00 uk

Shipping costs £150.00 uk

All prices plus 20% vat total £810.00 uk

Please let me know on the brake/vacuum pump ?

If you need Vacuum pump off us it will be + £100.00 + vat = £120.00

Kind Regards, Dave

David Woodward

Billcar Engineering Ltd

Website Billcar Engineering ltd - Complete Engine Reconditioning

Tel: +44 (0) 1743 450044 Option 3 (Nissans)
Fax: +44 (0) 1743 450084
Mob +44 (0) 7971 063469

Im goingto ask them if they will ditch the vat as im not in england which is what dte did when i bought my chip off them to try and get the kit a bit cheaper

cheers sean

From Nissan Customers Services dated 14 November 2011, part of the letter :-

"I can advise that the timing chain issue which affected your vehicle was identified as being subject to a technical campaign. Nissan Motor (GB) Ltd extended the pan European warranty of 3 years and/or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) to 5 years and/or 93,000 miles, for this issue, and therefore, the repair to your vehicle was covered under the warranty.

I understand your request for further information regarding the timing chain issue; however, as I am sure you will appreciate, it is difficult for me to give accurate technical advice over the phone or by letter. Rather than being helpful, it may lead to an inaccurate diagnosis or inaccurate information about the issue. However, I can confirm that the dealership has carried out the repair, as per the technical campaign, to rectify the issue"

(The lack of correspondance re the issue is I believe they didn't want to supply the information because I was going to take legal action.)

I then had this from them dated 25 November 2011. The most important point is the date identified by Nissan :-

"With reference to the issue we have identified as affecting the lower timing chain, and for the avoidance of doubt, the component failure is subject to an extended warranty of 5 years and/or 93,000 miles (whichever comes first) since 12 September 2011 and is, therefore, honoured by our contractual obligation to repair the vehicle under the terms of the manufacturer's pan European warranty"shamlesly nicked of www.nissan-navara.net

From Nissan Customers Services dated 14 November 2011, part of the letter :-

"I can advise that the timing chain issue which affected your vehicle was identified as being subject to a technical campaign. Nissan Motor (GB) Ltd extended the pan European warranty of 3 years and/or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) to 5 years and/or 93,000 miles, for this issue, and therefore, the repair to your vehicle was covered under the warranty.

I understand your request for further information regarding the timing chain issue; however, as I am sure you will appreciate, it is difficult for me to give accurate technical advice over the phone or by letter. Rather than being helpful, it may lead to an inaccurate diagnosis or inaccurate information about the issue. However, I can confirm that the dealership has carried out the repair, as per the technical campaign, to rectify the issue"

(The lack of correspondance re the issue is I believe they didn't want to supply the information because I was going to take legal action.)

I then had this from them dated 25 November 2011. The most important point is the date identified by Nissan :-

"With reference to the issue we have identified as affecting the lower timing chain, and for the avoidance of doubt, the component failure is subject to an extended warranty of 5 years and/or 93,000 miles (whichever comes first) since 12 September 2011 and is, therefore, honoured by our contractual obligation to repair the vehicle under the terms of the manufacturer's pan European warranty"shamlesly nicked of www.nissan-navara.net

Jace,

It's great that you have shared this information with our Antipodean cousins, however the above information is absolutely useless without providing the direct source of your information.

Here is a link too the relevant post http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26895

The contents of this post may be of interest as well, http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26895

at least they couldve gone to nissan australia and asked them,nissan australia mightve told em to go forth and multiply as its a uk recall but gotta be worth a punt!

just did my timming chain at 126500ks and the guides where starting to come apart where the chain runs on the guides .i replaced mine with the double row timming chain conversion kit and the fella paul he is a campion saved me alot of money it could of been fatal but she will live a bit longer now thanks paul this is why ppl are upgrading to double row here is his site have a look at the pics http://yd25.com.au/nissan-yd25-single-row-timing-chain/

Latest posts

Back