Spain D40 Stalling/Not Starting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylepacemt

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advise before I start troubleshooting my issue. I have a 2008 Manual D40 (Spain), and recently its been giving me issues mostly when cold.

It starts, then starts to rough idle and stalls after few seconds, It does this 2 or 3 times in a row and then doesn’t start anymore, I prime the fuel bulb (4 pushes and its hard) and then starts again. For the last week or 2 i was doing this and after a while its ok and i can drive it, but since yesterday its not drivable anymore.

Also note I upgraded to a Duplex chain exactly a year ago (ZEDPerformance UK Kit), replaced a faulty SCV with a Denso one around 5 months ago and also serviced inc oem fuel filter. Im thinking I must have a leak somewhere because as soon as I start the fuel bulb softens again, but I was reading re unplugging the camshaft position sensor to see if it happens and if so I might have a stretched chain!

Thanks for taking your time to read this

Regards,
Kyle

Once the fuel pump starts drawing fuel the bulb will soften a little anyway. The better test is to do a prime when the engine's cold (first thing in the morning is best). You shouldn't be able to squeeze it more than 5 or 6 times without it becoming firm. If you're at squeeze 7 and it's still not firming up, it's a fuel leak.

Another possibility is the SCV, which is a small part located on the side of the fuel pump, held into place with a pair of torx screws and it has one electrical connection. This has been the cause of many issues, including idle hunting (low rpm surging), artificial limp mode (no codes or lights) under moderate to heavy acceleration and while it sometimes can be fixed with a bottle of injector cleaner, it seems to be more commonly needing replacement.

Hi,

Yep ill start troubleshooting like that but as your saying I dont think its a fuel leak cos the bulb gets rocks solid after 4/5 pumps. The thing is I replaced the SCV already 5 months ago -.- Ill see if there is a better brand if it turns out to be it.

Regards,
Kyle

Another possibility is the SCV, which is a small part located on the side of the fuel pump, held into place with a pair of torx screws and it has one electrical connection. This has been the cause of many issues, including idle hunting (low rpm surging), artificial limp mode (no codes or lights) under moderate to heavy acceleration and while it sometimes can be fixed with a bottle of injector cleaner, it seems to be more commonly needing replacement.
Once the fuel pump starts drawing fuel the bulb will soften a little anyway. The better test is to do a prime when the engine's cold (first thing in the morning is best). You shouldn't be able to squeeze it more than 5 or 6 times without it becoming firm. If you're at squeeze 7 and it's still not firming up, it's a fuel leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
How confident are you in the fuel you've been buying?
Hey Old.Tony

Not the best but unfortunately in Malta we dont have options we only have one brand thats supplies all fuels in Malta 😅

Replaced my fuel filter with an original one, inc all pipes now it happens much less (happened only 3 times in a week) but still does, next going to try fuel pump reset and if not onto changing the scv with an original one.

Regards,
Kyle

Update:

Changed the fuel filter, all rubber fuel pipes and clips to new ones, now the fuel bulb hardens after 3 pumps but when i start it gets soft again and after a few seconds it shuts down. Will replace the bulb just in case , do a fuel pump reset and if that doesn't fix it ill change the scv.

Regards,
Kyle

Resolved: it was the SCV. replaced with an Original Nissan one and truck was revived.

That's great news, but leaves the question: why did your SCV only last for 5 months? A "genuine Nissan" SCV will be made by Denso anyway. How bad's the fuel there again? Could you tryu a different supplier, or perhaps a more active fuel station?

That's great news, but leaves the question: why did your SCV only last for 5 months? A "genuine Nissan" SCV will be made by Denso anyway. How bad's the fuel there again? Could you tryu a different supplier, or perhaps a more active fuel station?
Meh, my old SCV was an ebay one not genuine, that's what I thought but fuel is pretty awful here but at least were getting some premium Diesels now so I have some better options :D

Latest posts

Back