think I've just done a head

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo54

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was under the nav on friday and noticed some clean coolant under the gearbox.
I was hoping to find it coming from a split heater hose but after pulling off the intercooler, wheels and underguard plastics and getting a good look at it, I found where it is coming from.

This is the back of the head inbetween the engine and firewall whilst the car is running. Just under this is a little step that juts out towards the back of the car and there is moisture pooled on there.

As you can see there is liquid coming out inbetween the block and head so it looks like a head off job and then we go from there.

The car is a 04 3.0, done 215kms and runs 15psi. Has a DPchip and egr block off. Only had the block off plate on for 2000kms. I have only had it less than a year so I don't know too much history previous. I have never got the revs into the red zone and never seen the boost go over 15psi as I have a boost guage on the dash.

Has this happened to anyone else on here and a rough ballpark in cost. I am going to have to park it while I save to fix it. I just want to try and work out how long it is going to be before I can hit the trails again.

T54

Being that it is coming out between the block and head it might just be a case of pulling the head off, getting it machined flat and a new head casket.
You won't know till you pull it off thou. You could just try a bottle off radiator leak sealant, cheap fix thats worked for others.

Cost will vary greatly depending on where you take it mate and what they do. Mine was about 7k all up including head and new injectors while they were there. That is on the expensive side.
Not many shops will quote until they know what they are dealing with and by then it's stripped down.
I did get ball parks of 4-5 as well at other places so make sure you ring around and ask some questions.
Good luck.

mine was $4500 new head and injectors.

could be done a lot cheaper if you do most of the labour.

once the heads off make sure you send it off to be xrayed and pressure tested.
you might be lucky and get away with just a gasket.

i probably wouldn't go to leak sealant option.

I got a new head for $1590. $150 for the injectors each and did the labour my self.

dont know yet, Saving enough $$$ for worst case scenario so it lock away in storage at the moment. Out of site out of mind. Will let you know as soon as it happens.
T54

Here it is, sorry for the delay as I was trying to save $$$ for worst case scenario.

The head has come off and looks good, that has been sent off to be pressure tested but from initial inspection it looks fine. The head gasket was spilt near the rear right water jacket. It was split from the water jacket to the outside of the engine, thus why it hadn't lost power, just liquids.

The reason why it had split is in its life there was a build up of crystallised coolant in the water gallery that blocked about 50% of the gallery. We think this is caused by heat and cheap coolant. This has then caused cavitation which has worn about 1mm of the metal away for the inside of the chamber. As the wear has worked it's way up to the black dec it has undercut the gasket and it hasn't been able to hold the pressure.

The bores look great and still have hone marks after 215000kms, .
so I have decided to have it welded and then filed and re- decked to fill in the 1mm dimple.

I am hoping this is it for a while as a new clutch, starter motor and this has sent me a little broke.

Anyone else had this?

Thanks,
T54

Last edited:
Just got the results back and head isn't very good. 2 good internal cracks in chamber 4.
That will now also be replaced. Apparently the heads out of Spain are the ones to use as they are reinforced is this area from the castings. It will also cop new valves while we are there.

So come next weekend I will be back on the road with almost a new driveline.

This is when I wish I had a Gq shorty. It would have been a good excuse for a ls1 conversion!

T54

That will now also be replaced. Apparently the heads out of Spain are the ones to use as they are reinforced is this area from the castings........
any clarification on that ?
its just ZD30's are all japan built afaik.

They are aftermarket castings out of Spain. Non genuine but a mate who works for nissan here recommends I use them over a gen nissan one as it is reinforced around piston 4 chamber where they all seem to crack. This is what they use/ recommend in the workshop over gen nissan heads.

Hope this clarifies it.
T54

Latest posts

Back