Start up noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzkev

Reaction score
hi guys as i have written before on my previous oil change im still getting the clatter on start up till the oil light goes out -used the correct oil and nissan oil filter it has never done this before --im puzzled about this all i can think of that the oil is draining back now i thought the nissan filters didnt allow this to happen ??

Just another note i have done a reset on the the D40 has a DPF was happy the way it went seems to running smoother and not so heavy of diesel consumption and getting better as its learning :) just that annoying clatter on start up like ive mentioned above

Cheers Kev

mine does the same thing. sounds like the timing chain until the tensioner gets preasure. not sure how the tensioner works though if its oil pressured or spring.

Mine's a little noisy and makes a psshhhhhhhh sound for about 5 sec, then it's gone.
How long is yours noisy for?

the noise is a clatter untill the oil light goes out - this only started soon as i did the last oil change just seems strange for it to start that quick id ring nissan but i dont think id get much joy from them

mine done the same thing at 50000 ks both timing chains were replaced under warranty the cause was secondary chain guides were worn out

oh ok just seem strange that has happened straight after an oil change ?prior to that nothing... this only happens when the motor has sat for a while almost like there is drain back happening out of the filter...

mine just started with out warning as well when i started doing my services and thought the same as you but its been a common problem with the dealer i dealt with and theres modified parts released buy nissan but its worth looking at

2008 Navara ST-X 47.000 Kilometers .
Noticed 1000klm's after oil change drove to Lenox Head from Brisbane stayed over night started her up next day and a loud rattle for about 6 seconds then fine, drove to Goondiwindi via Tenterfield next morning no rattle at start up, drove back to brisbane via Moonie and Dalby, it sat idle for 3 days fired it up this morning loud rattle for 6 seconds then fine.

John

As to my post yesterday regarding rattle. Started it up this morning and it was normal no rattle, got me curious.

John

As per my last 2posts it's doing it on a regular basis what is the cause and what is the fix as I said it only started on the last oil change. Is it oil drain back, was thinking of changing oil filter. Only genuine nissan oil and filters used

John

Just rang nissan dropping nav off at nissan dealer monday afternoon so they can do a cold start next morning.
Will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

John

Last edited:
John C, what oil did you use. Pretty confident that it wouldn't be the issue but just wondering. I'll bet the oil change is just a coincidence and you'll be suffering from the inherant timing chain issue...all warranty though

I find mine has that clatter chatter at start up mainly when the weather is colder. Don't know if this is true but seemed that way. Please keep us posted on what Nissan says John

When I got Nav back from dealer after two days got report saying no falts found all ok. Mind you warranty runs out on 25th of this month so not supprised about there responce. But "touch Wood" it hasn't do it since. :dontknow:

John

Latest posts

Back