Replacing D40 Oil Filters

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's all about what you get used to but I've used a hoist once to do my car (same workshop) and it just felt completely wrong trying to get the damn thing off.

Yep I go underneath and contort myself into a position that allows me to undo the filter, no hoists or pits here, just cramping and swearing, lots of swearing.

Working on my car tells me how much older and more unfit I am than before. Getting under vehicles used to be an easy roll, now it takes planning, timing and a keen eye. Getting back up is even harder. Rest periods, oxygen bottles and an overhead winch sometimes feel required.

Yeah I agree, getting up from ground level is as hard if not harder than actually doing the job.

Using the pit I can drop the oil, inspect anything from brakes to how much mud and shit is under the car, get the filter off and rotate the tyres all without moving the car and without having to spend my time laying down or in a crouching position for longer than it takes to remove a few wheel nuts. I'd seriously consider paying someone to do the job if I had to do it any harder.

So are you guys taking the wheel off and using a oil wrench ? There seams f all room to get it in there? Or just grab that bad boy and twist ! I Pitty my neibours when I do this tomorrow :)

So are you guys taking the wheel off and using a oil wrench ? There seams f all room to get it in there? Or just grab that bad boy and twist ! I Pitty my neibours when I do this tomorrow :)

Nope. I lay on my back and slide in under the vehicle. You need to go in behind the front wheel, then up under the engine a fraction. Look up beside the engine - the filter housing is just up there waiting for you. Reach up - unscrew filter. If your filter is not overtightened, you will be able to unscrew it easily by hand. If it's over-tightened....uh oh....

By hand, as you can imagine doing the job in a fully fitted workshop means we had our choice of tools and we tried 4 different filter removers and all of them had limitations in the D40 engine bay. It's not so bad these days because we don't do them up tight enough to need the remover but the first oil change (10K) with the filter from the factory was a friggen nightmare to remove.

The one good thing is I've never had oil spill out of the filter when I've taken it out, it's great having it sit upside down.

By hand, as you can imagine doing the job in a fully fitted workshop means we had our choice of tools and we tried 4 different filter removers and all of them had limitations in the D40 engine bay. It's not so bad these days because we don't do them up tight enough to need the remover but the first oil change (10K) with the filter from the factory was a friggen nightmare to remove.

Amen to that! To get the original off, I had to remove the RHS front wheel, remove the inner guard. Then I had access to clamp the filter with enough force to loosen it.

I'm trying to think of a time when someone else has worked on my ute for any purpose whatsoever but can't...

We tried the original filter from above, from underneath, with tools, without tools, the mate was lying across the top of the engine with his feet dangling over the left front panel, it was a friggen nightmare, we were beginning to think some smart arse at Nissan welded the darn thing to the engine as some mean joke and then the prick just let go.

We tried the original filter from above, from underneath, with tools, without tools, the mate was lying across the top of the engine with his feet dangling over the left front panel, it was a friggen nightmare, we were beginning to think some smart arse at Nissan welded the darn thing to the engine as some mean joke and then the prick just let go.

LOL...I laugh because I can see the picture in my head....and I've been there too :) It's a cruel joke. Then...you get to relive the experience for a few days afterwards with the loss of skin, because it's not the easiest spot to work in (as you described).

Aren't the patches of missing skin and remaining scars friggen annoying, it's like everytime you see them you have to remember exactly how it happened and feel the pain all over again. It's like a sick joke.

Whenever someone says "oil filter" I now get a nervous tic. There is goes again...

You need to spend the $14 bucks and buy one of those universal ratchet cannister grabbers. Got the scars too. It crushes them after whatever tool put the filter on too tight. But you still have to lie on your backside to get it out. Stupid stupid idea. Yeah til you realise that it won't come out anywhere else, and you have dropped dirty oil everywhere.

Back