REDARC BCDC 20 or 40 amp

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhawkless89

Reaction score
Gday I am about to do a dual battery setup in my 2011 d40 and was wondering which on would be better out of the two redarc BDCD 20 or 40 amp models?

Any advice welcome

the 1240 is a bigger unit
it also has solar input
i use a 1220 with 2x55ah optimas
works great

Depends on the $ you want to spend. The alternator will be able to pump out a spare 20A at cruise during the day when your headlights are off, which is when most of us are moving towards the next camp spot. You'll rarely find it capable of delivering a spare 40A.

That said, most batteries won't tolerate 20A being dumped at them and will simply die with 40A being thrown at them. Crankers will tolerate it, flooded cell deep cycle won't. flat plate AGMs might, spiral wound AGMs will just ask for more. Gels will curl their toes up and die a quick, undignified death as you realise the thing is cooked and throw it in the recycle pile.

So the 20A will be sufficient for most applications.

Mate you'll find the 40A is the solar model most likely.
Meaning you can plug a panel into it to charge when stationary.

If you have an early 2011 you'll be fine with any model BCDC.
If its a 2011 stx550 you'll need an unit with 'LV' in the name
It's designed to run with the variable voltage alternator.

If Arb are too expensive give the old fleabay a buzz
I got mine there very cheap!!

I dont know if its new but they also have a 25amp with the solar imput. Its not much cheaper but thats the way i'll go I think. I dont have the 550 stx so will I need to get the low voltage version

Ive had the 1220 for a few years now, does a good job of charging my extra two batteries. If I had the option back then I would have got one with the solar panel input.

Rather than start a new thread this seems like the best place to ask a few questions. I am looking at upgrading to a bcdc charger from my standard vsr redarc. I am having a hard time trying to make a decision between the Redarc 1225lv and the 1240lv units, at this stage i intend to be using this battery http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FULLRIVE...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460bb97c56

While the 25 amp model would be sufficient i am leaning towards the 40 amp model to expand the battery capacity should i ever upgrade the car or move into camper trailer territory. My main concern is that a 40amp charge rate might be a bit too much for a 85a/h battery.

What are peoples experiences, who had a redarc bcdc1240 fitted?

I eneded up going with the Ctek 250s dual it charges upto 20 amp, but if you combine it with their Smatpass it will charge upto 80 amps. It has solar input as standard and will actually charge the starting battery before the aux battery off the solar while you car in not running.

But in your case tge Redarc system will know what rate to charge your battery and change modes to suite. IMHO if you plan to go to more than one Aux battery ever get the bigger unit

i would have gone with the 1240 andrew, but with mine mounted under hood there wasn't enough room,mounted in the tray i was worried about voltage drop
the 1220 is a great compact unit
it has looked after my 2 optimas for 2 years now with no issues

The idea of the 40 amp unit charging a little quicker is appealing, just worried that it may damage a smaller capacity battery wether it be a agm or a standard wet cell cranker.
Both units are physically the same size, i guess what i am asking is will the 1240 just continually throw 40 amps at any battery type and size or will it scale back the amps to suit whatever battery i decide to hook up?

The idea of the 40 amp unit charging a little quicker is appealing, just worried that it may damage a smaller capacity battery wether it be a agm or a standard wet cell cranker.
Both units are physically the same size, i guess what i am asking is will the 1240 just continually throw 40 amps at any battery type and size or will it scale back the amps to suit whatever battery i decide to hook up?

i didnt realise they were the same size
being a smart charger you should be ok
tony?

I believe the thing tests what type battery it is and acts accordingly?
I know the 40 has solar capabilities too

What type and size battery(ies) are you charging with yours mike? What sort of recharge times do you get?

anyone know if the Projecta 150amp battery charger is any good ? i can get one through work for only $90. the cheapest on ebay is double that price

For you to get 40A through, your alternator has to be able to deliver it. To get a spare 40A your engine would have to be singing fairly loudly.

According to the Fullriver spec sheet for that series of battery, the bulk charge rate is between 10% and 25% of the battery's capacity, and absorption (constant current) rate is 25% - so you're needing a charger that can deliver no more than about 20A.

If you go and add a camper later, you won't necessarily share the load evenly between the batteries - you can use it for calculations, but a thirsty battery will draw the power it needs as fast as it can.

In reality if you're driving from A to Z and stopping at the letters in between for nightly rests, your battery will get a lot of charge during the trip anyway. If you're stopping in one place for some time, considering solar is a good idea.

Personally I'd look at the C-Tek dual power source if I had to go the DC-DC charger route, but the 20A unit ought to be enough for any application. Just use 4Ga cable from engine bay to rear.

Latest posts

Back