recent chip comparo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bit of trouble installing the driver software for some reason. I would go through the install process and it would seem fine but wouldn't actually install it. I think it was something to do with being a zip file? Not really too good with computers so can't say for sure sorry. Also make sure you select the right com port.

Yep, have selected the right come port and it seems as though the software has installed correctly. The device manager says the driver is up to date and the com launches when the usb is inserted.

I have un-installed, re-installed, changed com ports and still no luck. I class myself as being pretty good with computers. I'll give it another go today sometime.[/QUOTE]

Some PCs are just trouble. I tried for 20 mins on a mate lappy with no joy. I gave up and then downloaded a new set of drivers and installed (USB cable NOT connected). Then chose another USB port and bingo, it worked.

Here is the link for the new windows 7 driver.

CLICK HERE

Please remember, we dont make the drivers ... we just use off-the-shelf software ... if they dont make the software compatible with EVERYONE's PC it is out of our hands. :(

On ths score though, we are soon going to be releasing a new set of chips that do not require PC connection to change tunes.

On ths score though, we are soon going to be releasing a new set of chips that do not require PC connection to change tunes.

Hey that sounds good!
I been on hold wanting to compare prices with your chip and that other guys "wonder chip".
Keen to power up for summer though so if you have it ready to go in the coming weeks I'd like more details?

Robert, Will these new chips that dont require a laptop be any better (performance wise) or is it just a cosmetic upgrade with numbered switchs.
Whens the earliest we can order these??

i got one from germany no limit tuning its a primitave looking box and the program menu they send you might as well be writen in chinese but when you do spend some time sending a fey e mails back and forth you do get it right my 2.5 d22 is apparently doing 132 kw and just shy of 400 torque puts the power to the road very quick now for $150 it was worth a try i would have got chip it if i had the spare cash though

Robert, Will these new chips that dont require a laptop be any better (performance wise) or is it just a cosmetic upgrade with numbered switchs.
Whens the earliest we can order these??

They will come through soon... say 3 weeks.

Dealers will have the first but we will take orders in 2 weeks.

The board will be upgraded to accept the toggles and have the extra tunes added on-board

Will the tunes be tailored for certain mods?

Ie, map 1 standard vehicle = very small gains.
map2 cat back exhaust = bit more boost and little more fuel
map3 full exhaust = same as above
map 4 intercooler upgrade. 2-3psi more + fuel
map 5 high power = 25+psi + 17:1 afr?

Why? Is yours going to have that?
When is yours coming btw?

D40 Chip It Economy

Hi Rob et al
Do you have any figures for power/torque & economy on a 6spd 2.5TD D40 running your standard Chip it tune?
Being quite frugal I drive on cruise control everywhere & normally get 9.5 l/100 km with an easy right foot!
(By the way I'm not an "old woman" on the road I race EVO Mitsubishi's..it's just that I cant stomach Diesel being more expensive than 98 ULP!..my old man would turn in his grave if he could have seen a pump price of 198/litre
a couple of years ago!)
By the way any comments on Cetane boosters..the internet is full of confusing info on the difference between octane & cetane boosters..have you come across any consistent performers at a reasonable price? Have you heard of a product called V10?
Cheers DAS

I don't have these for the standard tune ... just custom and higher state tunes. With regards to the economy figures, not customers report a 5 - 10% fuel savings. However, we do not guarantee fuel savings as this is quite arbitrary. For example, I get 5% fuel savings on my car but Justin gets less because he drives his Triton like he stole it.

Also, we would never recommend a chip fuel savings alone. Think about it ... to save (say) 10% fuel costs you would need to spend $15,000 worth of fuel to save say $1500 worth of chip.

So if you were doing this for the power and would love to be saving fuel as well, then YES that would be very beneficial.

Re octane boosters, any additional boost in octane you will get better performance / efficiency but most people way up the cost versus savings and with this equation you will not come out in front as the cost per litre of the booster is more than the savings per litre.

Last edited:
Concerned!!!! I had the Chip it chip professionally installed a week ago just before i left for my 2 week trip around Tazy, he also did the fuel rail mod and egr block off. I was running quite a good fuel eccon of 800km out of a tank, now i'm flat out getting 650km p/t open highway from adelaide to Melbourne.
At first i thought it was my like for the power but as i've done over 6 tanks through and each one getting less and less right foot heavyness (worst then i was driving before the chip) it's still not getting even close to 800km p/t.
What setting is people finding best on there chip for 2.5 D40 STX manual.
I think he said setting 6 was what he reccomended.
To make it worst is i'm half way around Tazy and no way to change it.
Thoughts?????

Dozer

Pull the back over off the engine and look for the rail sensor it will be toward one end front from memory , up-plug the chip and reconnect the original wiring plug that is on on side of the chip and deal with it when you get back home

In the past I had tried 5 so called chips and they were all crap. I'm not saying that you chip are is a bad one , but you never know

You would have been better off doing some more in depth researching on Chips or actual digital tuning modules like ..............not going to say that here.

Anyone wanting a real tuning module should look for units that have upgradeable mapping and hours of Dyno data to back up their claims , Get my point ??

Difference between a Chip and a Module

Diesel Chip
A diesel chip is basically a simple resistor which increases or decreases the amount of current that the ECU of the car sees from the fuel rail pressure switch. When the ECU sees that the current has changed, it will increase the diesel pressure to the injectors, therefore forcing more diesel into the engine creating more power. The downside to this is that the diesel is being injected at the same time as the standard injection timing is set at. This means that you will not gain any more fuel economy, but will gain power; this is known to be a fact throughout the industry. Because the Injection timing is not being changed as more fuel is being injected there is less time to burn, so fuel is being wasted.

Diesel Module
A diesel module is like an ECU, it controls each injector, it can change Injection Timing, Pulse, Width & Current. can increase & decrease the amount of diesel going into the engine by controlling the injector properly as we inject more diesel into the engine, we can change the injection timing, giving the diesel more time to burn it, resulting in more power, we can also optimize the injection timing for factory fuelling resulting in better fuel economy.

Diesel Chips have been around for a long time and are basically just a resistor, Diesel Modules are the future in common rail diesel engines, anyone considering a chip for their common rail engine would be MAD not to investigate the benefits of a module; Modules are far superior and more advanced than any chip on the market today.

The new xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx power module is able to control the Injectors, the fuel pump, boost and they also have a range of defenders that are able to control the engine, these modules are the most advanced on the market and have been developed by xxxxxxxxxx for Australian conditions.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx modules are able to hold four different fuel maps that can be custom tuned to each customer�s individual needs and also include fine tuning of up to 30% +/-.

Why does it work?
The question we are often asked,
Why dont the manufactures optimize the engines fuel settings from the factory?
... well, the cars are developed with future performance increases in mind, for example the original humble VW/ Audi 1.9 TDi engine produced 50kw, then 60kw, then 74kw, then 81, then 96kw, then 110kw from the same basic engine. The manufacturers allow for 10 years of development at the design stage, it�s a multimillion dollar project to get a new engine from R&D to production. So at most stages of development, modern diesel engines have unlocked potential.
Why use a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Module vs. any other type of modification?
These plug in tuning systems that are developed are designed for easy and discreet use. The unit can be installed/uninstalled at will.
The engine does not know the system is in use. The unit is downstream of the ECU (electronic control unit) and has no interaction with it. The unit can be adjusted by the end user for overall power gain by adjusting the fuel up or down by upto 30%, it also has four individual maps that can be swapped at will. This gives the ability to have Four modules in one. For example, you can have one map focused on Fuel Economy, one focused on Torque for Towing, one focused on All Out Power and so on, the choice is yours. It can be removed and sold if required, remaps/chips etc have none of those features, and no additional performance either. Yourxxxxxxxxxxxxxx module can be removed from your Hilux and reprogrammed and fitted to your new Pajero, Triton, Prado, Navara etc. This is unique to xxxxxxxxxx giving you the ability to resell the module or fit it to your new car. The system can of course be removed prior to any service or repair work undertaken by your dealer.

Fully adjustable xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Module:
Max figures show the power your vehicle can produce when using a higher setting. Power adjustments are easy and optional; this is fully explained in instructions supplied.
The Power Module will be programmed with standard settings for the best mix of performance and fuel ecconomy. This can be easily adjusted and is explained in the instructions.
FAQ's
What is thexxxxxxxxxxx Power Module?
A plug in digital computer programming module for turbo diesels, which can be easily removed at any time (i.e. when the vehicle goes for a service)
What does it do?
The Power Module increases power and torque by over 40% with an added benefit of an average of 10% fuel saving.
How is it fitted?
It plugs into the manufacturers existing connectors on the engine and can be self fitted (it is designed for this purpose)

What about warranty if I install xxxxxxxxxxx in my car?
Most car manufacturers and importers don't exactly love module/ chip tuning.
Why did the manufacturer not offer tuning in the first place?
Put simply, your vehicle's intended performance is restricted because car manufacturers have to allow for models variants that often use the same engine mechanicals with adjusted power figures. As well as this many countries around the world relate their tax levels to the power output of a vehicle.
Do I get any Warranty?
All xxxxxxxxxxxx products carry a 10 year Warranty and 30 Day money-back guarantee.

Its out there you just gota look !!!

When I asked Rob if he had a module for my HD-FTE Lancrusuier engine he didnt even know that they do make them for that model , needless to say I bought elsewhere , Than there was another story I can tell you where a customer had a chit it chip fitted only to receive a max gain of 4% and the ecm light came on on its 1st road test- thats all I'll say on that one , heard many more since then with similar stories

With the xxxxxxxxx module, just to give you an example my FTE engine puts out 150kw at the fly wheel take off 40% due to loss through the drivetrain and your down to about 90kw at the rear wheels , add the xxxxxxxxxx module and what do you know, at the max map setting of 80% yes you read correctly it now gives you 150kw at the rear wheels

The mapping is set in intervals of 100rpm this is for both air and fuel ratio mixtures , timing etc. for optimum economy or power map settings

Aussie made and no bull for around 1k

No I'm not a dealer for them, but hey I might think about one day.

Marty

Last edited:
Hey Marty why don`t you name the module?
I mean every second power up post chipit has been mentioned.

Hey Marty why don`t you name the module?
I mean every second power up post chipit has been mentioned.

Tell how many chip devices can you get for a D40 , take a stab at it go on , it would be something like 20 odd if not more and they all claim the same thing More Power , better acc less black smoke and on it goes , now think back how many dont up the pump pressure ?

Look at it this way a Injector only delivers fuel nothing else pump pressure remains the same , If your Module is able to change the spill timing and the amount of fuel being delivered correctly through out the delivery by this I mean its not always better to deliver more fuel as more fuel creates more EGT and your engine wont like post Turbo temps of 500/550'c for long periods of time

More Boost will give you lower EGT's as you are now drawing more air

Anyway I'm over chips and have been for a very long time now
Get a stand alone digital computer in place of any chip and the rewards will be huge , no matter what any chip manufacturer tells you.

Mate the way I see these days , someone that sells chips, they should not be allowed to post Post's as every single comment will be how go it is bla bla bla

Everyone is able to do their own searches on-line if you know where to look its not hard , there are only two Modules out there that do not change pump pressure Steinbauer is one and xxxxxxxxxxxxx is the other

It took me a long time to find the module and I can not believe that no one here has made mention of it as there are D40 owners using them , guess its like this if its that good why tell others about it !!!

I'm so over in people not wanting to do their own researches and take everything on face value what others say on how good the chip is that they are using , get a dyno tune done to get the most out of every chip , not because you are told to use setting x or y every engine is different

Do a google search for Power chips , Modules , performance etc etc

Marty

Good luck with it all

Marty I still run a steinbauer.I decided on it because it connected to the injectors and did not just up rail pressure.I also have tried a race chip pro that does like all the others and ups the rail pressure.I must say the go pedal feels like it only needs about half the normal pressure to go the same speed.More than likely the higher fuel pressure is the factor there.

If your Module is able to change the spill timing and the amount of fuel being delivered correctly through out the delivery by this I mean its not always better to deliver more fuel as more fuel creates more EGT and your engine wont like post Turbo temps of 500/550'c for long periods of time

Marty I have run 700 deg c post turbo on a stock setup which I`m thinking the D40 must be capable of.I have started a post trying to collect data to understand EGTs.

Rick

Dozer you might want to try the fuel re set/re learn if it wasn`t done after the chip install.

Rick

The EGT I quoted was for a std 1HZ engine , It all depends on how strong the engine are made to begin with some can go higher than 700'c , not my cupa tea if you ask me alloy under pressure melts around 850/900'c and if your getting 700'c post turbo now add another 100'c pre turbo and thats getting up there

As far as chipping goes at the end of the day you get what you pay for .

Marty

Back