recent chip comparo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guy's

Ok I have a D40 on gas as most of you know and have had for about 2 years now , great power when you want it and far better fuel economy than just the stock D40
When I was 1st told about the gas system I was a little stand offish as I really didn't understand what it was all about , now having driven around with the gas I wouldn't go back.

The Petrol system on the other hand had me thinking well if the gas worked well enough why shouldn't the Petrol system work as long as you didn't go overboard that is , so I installed one to my 4.2L Landcrusier with an aftermarket turbo and 2.5 mandrel system , after experimenting with the boost pressure switch and fuel pressure regulator pressures I'm now at a point where I'm happy with the power and economy gains ,I have set the boost switch to 5psi as I didn't want the system to become active before that, I'm purely hunting for economy and some extra power.

Its early days and I haven't done a full tank of fuel yet so I cant say for sure what my economy figures will be , but so far they are impressive a mate of mine took the LC 2 weekends ago to tow his race car ,round trip of 145km I had filled the tank to the brim when he came back it was refilled the same way and it took 20L of diesel giving a return of 12.5L/100k very happy with that and anyone that owns a LC will tell you that 12.5L when towing is unheard off, dove another 100k in semi hilly area the LC with no load it used 10L and I'm still doing the fine tuning with boost switch and regulator pressures

I know this
80kms @2000rpm 5th gear is the same as what my work Nissan D40 Navara sits on , the D40 is on Diesel with Gas and when you compare the two side by side the LC craps all over it for outright pulling power when you give the boot at 80kms 5th gear , it just feels like it has more grunt, & get up and go, all this from a 4x4 that is build like a brick on wheels with no aerodynamics to speak of and weighing 3.5T . Under full load last night, driving up the hills at Wisemans I gave it some, at full throttle hard driving the EGT got to 420c mind you they are steep hills and as soon as you came off throttle the temps back down to 250ish , same drive without the petrol system the EGT got to 440c and back down to 260c in all the petrol as it is being sprayed into the air steam, seams to be cooling the air charge keeping the temp down a fraction

I have had some fun with it in the short time that the system has been running surprising my mate that drives a 6.8L F250 when he didn't pull away from me as fast as he used to and me keeping up with him made me grin from ear to ear this was with the pressure set at a higher setting and different nozzle

Smiles all round you bet , I'm off for a 2000km trip next week and will be keeping a sharp eye on the economy that's for sure

Cheers Marty

Last edited:
That's pretty cool Marty.

Its amazing what a bit of fuel does. And you're right about the economy ... most common rial vehicles will never see those litres per hundred readings.

Also, how many litres per hundred of diesel would you say you save to how many litres of petrol are you using?

I know a guy with a DMax and he is saving 4 litres/100 of diesel and using 1 litre/100. He too is really please with how it goes.

PS. dont get booked :)

Last edited:
so have you done a d40 with this fuel injection yet? They just seem so rich from factory as it is and ya start adding diesel (via chip) and then petrol seems to scream dangerous.

Have you taken note of the fuel ratios on em from factory? What sort of figures do you have?
The petrol is still a fuel so your still adding fuel to an already fueled up situation.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking you just chasing more info that is all.
I was going to get a unichip for my Navara as they can do timing and boost etc but am seriously considering just getting one of yours as the extra cost and headache with the unichip probably wont gain much.

We haven't directly however we have sold them to dealers. Remember the Petrol Injection Kit was made to be a universal fit up kit so dealers can fit to any.

I would love to have done a D40 in house but not yet. Its only a matter of time :)

The D40 we accept heaps more fuel (whatever fuel). It is not running rich once on power.

It is running a little rich on initial throttle on but the petrol injection is made to come in a little after that.

BTW, you know if you block off the EGR port the Nissan will not blow smoke? The extra air now keeps the ratios healthier.

That's why when customers buy our DPF Race Pipe we include a FREE EGR Blanking Plate.

The two go hand in hand in our opinion. The Chip is just a great power improvement but we always recommend blocking off the EGR for a better bang.

Hope this helps

Chip-it????

Hello Robert from Chip-it,

I am a potential buyer for your chip and DPF pipe.I live in Western Australia and would like to support a local product.

But!!!!!!

You guys make it very difficult.

I have rung your 1800 number twice and left a message - no response!!!

I have used the "Contact us" form on your website - no response!!!

My question (which I should not have to ask on a forum ) is-

If I put a chip on and later (out of new car warranty) put on a DPF delete pipe is the program in the chip for this?

Its great on this forum to tell readers how great your product is. But when one of them tries to contact and gets no response you are really letting the business down.

BTW I contacted a diesel place in Redcliffe,spoke to someone straight away and was happy with the info.

It makes me wonder If I cant talk to someone before purchase what sort of response I would get if I had a problem?

I am not trying to start a flaming war here, I am a genuine buyer.

Tweak'e that's unfair. You are speaking without knowing our product, service, experience, or anything about us.

1) There are zero regulations regarding diesel petrol injection (DPI). It falls into the same category as adding octane booster to your tank. IE ZERO REGS. LPG, different story ... yes it does have the need to be "certified" (which we are certifiers of BTW) because of the pressure vessels being used. We looked into it different products because we didn't like the charges licensed fitters were charging for a day's labour. We as manufactureres had reduced sales because people didn't want the high cost of ownership even though the kit itself was fair and reasonable (sub $1000).

So off we went looking at different things and Petrol came up trumps. You can find it anywhere, doesn't matter what type or brand you use. Didn't suffer from contamination like LPG, no pressure vessel thus no regs, higher calorific value (energy content) than LPG. Cleans the diesel burn like LPG. Customers could use water only (for a 10% boost in power ... and no cost of fuel) or a water methanol mix (or water/ethanol), they could use straight petrol or petrol methanol mix for better power or high octane petrol with a methanol mix. It was just the right product for the job. Then we search (2 years) for parts we liked. What we couldn't find we have made. The end result is 100% customer satisfaction.

Just this week a customer (Darren B from Vic) that had the DPI fitted to his Duramax. He said he couldn't be happier. He has LPG on one of his other cars and he said this was 100 times better. He told us that he is saving 4 litre of diesel for every 100 kms and using only 1 litre of petrol!! (This is 100% fact guys ... no BS).

I dont know about the regs over where you live, but in Australia and USA

2) About the under fueled ZD30, this is exactly what the DPI is addressing! Every diesel works with residual air. You can read about it HERE if you scroll down to where it says "USE OF RESIDUAL AIR". Remember diesels are air pumps and the govering of fuel to a MAX charge of air is what determined the power. It is this residual air that allows Chips etc to work!!

3) Yes. The Chip It module does have the ability to swap maps on the fly REAL TIME.

Hope this clears things up. But like I said, its a little unfair for you to call the product dodgy when you havent seen it or know how the process works.

We go to great lengths to make sure all our products are top shelf. 100% customer satisfaction is what we strive for and with a 30 day money back guarantee I think this shows we are serious about this.

If you look around the different forums you will see we we get a HUGE wrap.

sorry for the late reply, missed your post somehow.

i think the "dodgy" comment is reasonably fair enough.

thats simply because your pouring in a fuel that has a lowish auto-ignition temp. LPG is around 450c which is around compressed cylinder temp so LPG is not going to auto ignite until close to TDC if it auto ignites at all.
however petrol is only ~220c so it will be igniting on the compression stroke and well before diesel is injected. with non intercooled diesel (100-150c intake temps) it can be igniting even earlier.

mixing petrol in diesel is a bit different because its being injected with the diesel so it all burns together and doesn't suffer the same issue.

with water/alcohol injection the water offsets the burning of the alcohol to a fair degree. they only run up to 50% water/meth mix on diesels. they don't live long on 100%.
i could understand petrol injected along side water injection but IMHO injecting straight petrol is risky.

the legals....depends on your local rules. i think here adding a 2nd fuel tank requires certification. understandable as there is a safety issue especially in an accident.
i would be surprised they let you guys have a petrol tank without a enclosed breather system. emission rules in AU are a lot tougher than NZ.

I am really pissed off that this happens sometimes DS

I know we get super busy and you guys can confirm by the late, very late replies I sometimes post here, here this not an excuse. If it helps, I have just ripped someone at the Perth office a new a55 for the let down.

Anyways, sorry about that.

Onwards to your question:

1. Yes, it is. Tune 5.

2. you are 100% correct. In fact, how many people have just gone to the opposition because we failed to answer them? Who know is the correct answer. I just hope is hasn't happened too many times.

this is my mobile. If you dont get through on the 1800 78 48 82 as a last resort please use this: 0412 304030.

Hope we are not too late to be of assistance.

Thanks Downsized ... an dthanks for the 3rd chance :)

Cheers

Hello Robert from Chip-it,

I am a potential buyer for your chip and DPF pipe.I live in Western Australia and would like to support a local product.

But!!!!!!

You guys make it very difficult.

I have rung your 1800 number twice and left a message - no response!!!

I have used the "Contact us" form on your website - no response!!!

My question (which I should not have to ask on a forum ) is-

If I put a chip on and later (out of new car warranty) put on a DPF delete pipe is the program in the chip for this?

Its great on this forum to tell readers how great your product is. But when one of them tries to contact and gets no response you are really letting the business down.

BTW I contacted a diesel place in Redcliffe,spoke to someone straight away and was happy with the info.

It makes me wonder If I cant talk to someone before purchase what sort of response I would get if I had a problem?

I am not trying to start a flaming war here, I am a genuine buyer.

OK, its dodgy. :puke:

Sorry to bust your bubble but tell that to the many that are enjoying the system already. :cool:

In fact, MARTY just posted a few posts ago saying how "WOW" it was ... AND HE'S AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER :idea:

Give it time, and you will see many more.

Unless you test things how can you make comment ?? !!

sorry for the late reply, missed your post somehow.

i think the "dodgy" comment is reasonably fair enough.

OK, its dodgy. :puke:

Sorry to bust your bubble but tell that to the many that are enjoying the system already. :cool:

In fact, MARTY just posted a few posts ago saying how "WOW" it was ... AND HE'S AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER :idea:

Give it time, and you will see many more.

Unless you test things how can you make comment ?? !!

i remember the LPG/diesel guys saying the same thing and look at how many motors they blew up before they got it right. it got to the stage people where removing the rather expensive lpg installs because of the amount that where blowing up (no subside back then either).

then theres the water/meth guys which has been around a long time and they don't run 100% meth because of problems.

both LPG and meth are far more suited to the task than petrol.
all the theory points to petrol being dodgy.
only saving grace is your using such tiny amounts and fairly accurately.

one thing i would be interested to see is what happens when the engine gets a fair bit of oil ingested (ie via breather or past the rings).
the petrol setting off a decent amount of oil might make things interesting.

time will tell :)

You've got to be kidding!

YES, OK if someone fits ANY performance parts and winds it up to maximum WITHOUT knowing what they are doing they are prone to go bang. Any moron knows that.

Things need to be tuned ... derrrr.

We have sold LPG kits for over 5 years with ZERO Failures. You know why? because we wirte in big bloody letters DONT MUCH AROUND WITH IT OR YOU'LL BE SORRY. (not the actual words) Guess what. People then respect it and leave it well enough alone. Or, only tuners or people that know what they are doing and measuring, get interested in getting more out of it.

Not issue with LPG is that is burns with a sharp edged carbon crystal (petrol and diesel burn with a round crystal) and it chews out the valve seats. However because the diesel is still there with its rounded edge crystal I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE DEVELOPING ... NOT EVER.

When cars running straight petrol convert to LPG (in the olden days) they needed to add adding cylinder lube, as you will recell. This is because the crysal is doing a great job of filing away the seat.

It is not an issue in diesels AND it is not an issue when you inject petrol into diesels.

Last point you mention: We sell really cool crankcase oil breather catch cans. small and high performing and again at better prices than what the opposition are offering.

CLICK HERE The 3rd and the 10th items

i remember the LPG/diesel guys saying the same thing and look at how many motors they blew up before they got it right. it got to the stage people where removing the rather expensive lpg installs because of the amount that where blowing up (no subside back then either).

then theres the water/meth guys which has been around a long time and they don't run 100% meth because of problems.

both LPG and meth are far more suited to the task than petrol.
all the theory points to petrol being dodgy.
only saving grace is your using such tiny amounts and fairly accurately.

one thing i would be interested to see is what happens when the engine gets a fair bit of oil ingested (ie via breather or past the rings).
the petrol setting off a decent amount of oil might make things interesting.

time will tell :)

Try again

I am really pissed off that this happens sometimes DS

I know we get super busy and you guys can confirm by the late, very late replies I sometimes post here, here this not an excuse. If it helps, I have just ripped someone at the Perth office a new a55 for the let down.

Anyways, sorry about that.

Onwards to your question:

1. Yes, it is. Tune 5.

2. you are 100% correct. In fact, how many people have just gone to the opposition because we failed to answer them? Who know is the correct answer. I just hope is hasn't happened too many times.

this is my mobile. If you dont get through on the 1800 78 48 82 as a last resort please use this: 0412 304030.

Hope we are not too late to be of assistance.

Thanks Downsized ... an dthanks for the 3rd chance :)

Cheers

Robert I'll give you a call, as I said not into starting a forum flaming war.

You've got to be kidding!

YES, OK if someone fits ANY performance parts and winds it up to maximum WITHOUT knowing what they are doing they are prone to go bang. Any moron knows that.

Things need to be tuned ... derrrr.

We have sold LPG kits for over 5 years with ZERO Failures. You know why? because we wirte in big bloody letters DONT MUCH AROUND WITH IT OR YOU'LL BE SORRY. (not the actual words) Guess what. People then respect it and leave it well enough alone. Or, only tuners or people that know what they are doing and measuring, get interested in getting more out of it.

Not issue with LPG is that is burns with a sharp edged carbon crystal (petrol and diesel burn with a round crystal) and it chews out the valve seats. However because the diesel is still there with its rounded edge crystal I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE DEVELOPING ... NOT EVER.

When cars running straight petrol convert to LPG (in the olden days) they needed to add adding cylinder lube, as you will recell. This is because the crysal is doing a great job of filing away the seat.

It is not an issue in diesels AND it is not an issue when you inject petrol into diesels.

Last point you mention: We sell really cool crankcase oil breather catch cans. small and high performing and again at better prices than what the opposition are offering.

CLICK HERE The 3rd and the 10th items

the metal crankcase filters look good. looks like remote oil filter?? as long as the internals are big enough to flow the gas without restriction they should be great.
any chance of making a tall skinny version?

i can't remember the exact details of the blown engines. nothing valve seat related. i think just holed pistons. professionally installed to.

what diesel do you use when tuning the engines?
have you tried the ultimate? if so how much difference did the petrol system make compared to the normal diesel?

the metal crankcase filters look good. looks like remote oil filter?? as long as the internals are big enough to flow the gas without restriction they should be great.
any chance of making a tall skinny version?

i can't remember the exact details of the blown engines. nothing valve seat related. i think just holed pistons. professionally installed to.

what diesel do you use when tuning the engines?
have you tried the ultimate? if so how much difference did the petrol system make compared to the normal diesel?

The PCV filters are a custom made item which is made for this job. You're right, it looks like a remote oil filter but smaller. Its chambers are made to take large air flow.

We think these sizes are perfect to fit into most engine bays ... that's why we made them this size :)

Holed pistons are often the result of flaws in the OEM design. IE. Nissan 4.2 blowing number 6 piston. Its a Nissan issue ... not a gas issue. Nissan would sometimes repair under warranty even when it was out of warranty because they knew it was a design issue.

We use standard pump fuel because Ultimate is not always available ... do we even have it in the Eastern States?

When we go for high numers in OUR OWN VEHICLES ... ie 770 nm from our 3.2 Triton, we will always try and run Ultimate when its available.

Hi Robert, seriously considering this. How much is the kit though? I read earlier in this thread under $1000 but your website is advertising at $2000. Any clarification on this?

Last edited:
The PCV filters are a custom made item which is made for this job. You're right, it looks like a remote oil filter but smaller. Its chambers are made to take large air flow.

do they have a filter in them or do they have baffles/chambers in it ?

Hi Tweak'e

Both the plastic and metal types have filters.

I have seen people running without filters in the cannisters and just had steel wool in them when the filters finaliy filled up.

So you can run anything you like

Cheers

do they have a filter in them or do they have baffles/chambers in it ?

Doesnt matter how you try to smooth it over Petrol injection is probably illegal in most states. I dont mind you promoting it but at least be honest and say up front in big letters "For Race Use Only"

I know you got called out on this on another forum and you had to admit it.

I'd suggest people call their local DOT and get the truth about petrol injection. I know for a fact they would not approve a petrol tank fitted to a diesel.

Buyer beware I guess but I'd hate to see someone get in an accident and have their insurance company walk away from them because of something simple like a phone call to their local DOT.

WOW, you are a font of all knowledge ozzym ...

So is changing an air filter.

It is a vehicle modification. It all comes down to ADR complience.

In fact, ANYTHING that you do to your car which is NOT ADR approved is illegal and can be made to remove it. The thing is, stuff is not policed that heavily.

Tyres, snorkle, exhausts, if it didn't come out with it (ie ADR 79 -01) its history.

So you really are talking out of the a55.

I gotta believe you must be selling something else or I ran over your dog in a previous life.

Regarding the dyno runs between chips. You know sh1T. Easy for you the shoot at the hip. But you don't have any facts. We do. Should we tell DH's like you all the secrets.

Talk to people who HAVE our products. They will tell you what we do know what we are talking about and give people all info about how our products work.

You're just full of words and no back up.

Latest posts

Back