Oil patch on intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowjandels

Reaction score
Is someone able to let me know what would cause the oil patch on the right hand side of my intercooler please?

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 135
No catch can and a crimped intercooler core is the cause. It would be worth removing it and cleaning the intercooler out with petrol, then give it a good couple of hours to dry out completely before refitting it. Fit a catch can and block the egr too if you haven't already

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks bods i have ordered blanking plates and can so i will do it all in one hit, so once the work is done i should not expect this to appear again? cheers

Once you have done that, the only time you will get oil there is if a turbo seal fails and it leaking into the compressor side of the turbo...

Sadly those intercoolers are a weak point in the 22 and fail in time. I'm waiting for mine to play up and I'll fit a Forefront. Though so far it's holding up and I run 19psi and tow daily.

This is the most recent pic I have of my forefront can mounted. I made the bracket to hold a stanadyne diesel pre filter and the catch can, plus reinforced the standard fuel filter bracket so it doesn't break with the extra weight off the side of it
e9591e70b6c5a28e63b8e9345ef60726.jpg

3afd4040ad2688a8fed388e62d9d29db.jpg

So it turns out when I opened my eyes that there has been been a blanking plate installed its definitely not factory as its a bit rough around the edges, I have tried texting previous owner to ask if it was a solid block or has a hole in it, but forgive me as I am quite the mature, how is the oil getting into my intercooler?

Attachments

• image-2269670906.jpg
    image-2269670906.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 51
The oil will be getting in from the pcv system if you don't have a catch can as pictured above. All the egr block does it stop exhaust gas being recirculated back through the motor. The egr will also cook the oil from the pcv system into the intake manifold which will block it up.

Thanks bods

I understand it alot more now as i found a picture of the YD25 removed from the vehicle, i see how it can be now, waiting, waiting now for catch can to turn up. cheers

No worries. Should be all good after that I reckon. What catch can did you order?

its not turbo seals for sure lol if it was the car would blow black smoke clouds out the exhaust and thats that. so useless suggestion that one based on a leaky intercooler pic.
i have yet to see a standart d22 intercooler NOT look like this. its just the pcv oil (every diesel engines runs like this anyway) and weak intercooler which cracks over time.
recore is on my to do list very soon

Mine still looks brand new after 5 years with no Catch Can. Inside, I'm not so sure, I haven't even pulled a hose to have a look.
I only did the EGR block about 2 years ago.
Same here and mine is a 2010 model.... Had it since brand new and only had the catch can on for maybe 20000km of the 80k ish it has now...

yes but yours is made in Thailand not even Japan! problem was mainly with the Japanesse models which turn out like that regardless of catch can or egr (egr doesnt even come in contact with the intercooler)
and the catch can will just reduce the oil going back into the engine, wont stop any potential leaks on the intercooler! its just that with catch there is no oil on intercooler to show itself on the leak!

Latest posts

Back