oil modification on turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad navara

Reaction score
hey guys has any one herd about this mod i was told to do this mod to let more oil in the turbo he said to drill a little bit bigger hole in the bolt that has the banjo fitting into the block but i drilled both bolts that have the banjo fittings now the turbo is makeing a squeeling noise when it revs out more then 3 grand would this be because i ****ed up and drilled both bolts when i was ment to only drill the one going to the block only would like to hear your thoughts guys thanks

Ouch! Doesn't sound good mate. Never heard of that mod either. For future reference; regular oil changes, a catch can and a turbo timer will make your turbo last for a long time and cost you bugger-all too.

Good luck

I've heard of this mod before, my bro done it on his car. He drilled out the banjo fitting.... Not sure if it done anything? Be good to find out if it's worth doing but I thought it was a bit pointless.... Lol

Personally I wouldn't be f'n with it. A lot of oil, usually straight off the pump goes thru there. To open it up maybe robbing the rest of the donk from flow.
I'd be sticking to what chule mentioned.
Plus- take it real easy in the last few minutes before you get where your going to, then idle down. Then shut down.
Turbos rarley last as long as the engine but this will help.

u would want to hope i didnt get any metal fileings left in there or that will **** ur turbo

its cactus mate.

generally speaking it wouldn't be something you touch or play around without a lot as they are fairly well set up from the factory.

drilling the first hole allows more oil in, good. the second hole you drilled allows it all to just flow straight out, so now the turbo probably isn't receiving any oil pressure, bad.

i put the original bolts back in it that has the original hole size and its still screaming off its head do u think i got a faulty turbo i rang the the fella i got it off he seems to tell me that its normal when there new it will quiet down ones it runs in what u think

Who the hell suggested touching the oil feed .... Thats rediculous! Is it a stock turbo or something else

As for the screeming try these

Check your turbo to manifold gasket and flange joint
Check your silicone joiners
Take the feed off and make sure oil ia coming through it
Make sure your oil drain is not blocked
Basically check the whole turbo swap could be as simple as a missed bolt or loose screw or hose

Need more info on the turbo you bought

First thing I'd do is give the turbo a spin with a clean finger and feel it - it shouldn't have a gritty/rough feel to rotate it and it shouldn't wobble. If it is, before starting the engine again - look at the intake hose connecting to the intake manifold. What you're examining the inside for is powdered metal, a sign that the compressor wheel is rubbing on something.

I wouldn't drill the bolts for a couple of reasons. First, the bolt needs a certain degree of strength because it's withstanding the impact of hot oil under a fair amount of pressure connected to a very, very hot turbocharger.

Second, as Tappet points out, the oil is metered through that aperture so that enough oil reaches the turbocharger bearings and the remaining oil pressure can make it up to the camshaft bearings, mains, water pump etc. If you give more to one, you take from another - and under heavy strain that could become very costly.

Looking after your turbocharger is very simple - let it cool before the oil flow stops. This means - again as Tappet points out - idling the engine for a couple of minutes after a hard workout, or just driving gently when you're a couple of minutes away from your destination. As Chule suggests, a turbo timer is also a handy and inexpensive investment.

If you're still concerned, the best investment you could make is an intercooler. If the turbocharger does let go, the intercooler will catch pretty much all of the little bits, saving your engine. It will also give your engine a degree of improvement in efficiency, as the intercooler takes the 200C+ compressed air from the turbocharger and cools it to about 50C just before the intake manifold. This considerably raises the number of air molecules per cylinder, allowing the diesel to burn more completely, providing more power (it's not a huge amount, but it will be there).

Bigger holes (especially the second one) means reduced pressure, the turbo bearings rely on a specified pressure to maintain the fluid film, less pressure means the spindle can push through the film and touch the bearing surface.

yep alot of oil feed lines have restrictors in them to slow the volume of oil to the turbo. to much flow will just destroy turbo seals, the fact you have drilled both probably means you have had more volume at less pressure basically without the right amount of oil pressure there the turbo will not have a protective oil layer where it needs it. your turbo is probably fubar unfortunately and whoever told you to that needs to be shot :(

most turbo's have internally restricted oil passages. you can make the feed hose as large as you like and it won't change the oil flow.

restrictor in the hoses is usually done on conversions, ie fitting a ball bearing turbo instead of a sleeve bearing.

i highly doubt the mod has done anything. however a bit swarf left behind may have got into the bearings which will stuff them. or the noise is simply not related. could be a badly made turbo, exhaust leak etc.

Latest posts

Back