Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1peter

Reaction score
Hi all, i am new to the forum and looking to purchase a Navara. I will probably end up spending anything up to about $30,000 and i am wondering what years i can expect to purchase for this amount ?? I would appreciate any advice on models to avoid or any problems associated with particular models etc. I am only just starting to read and learn so i don't yet know what motors are available, what is the difference between a D40 and D22 ?? Can i get diesel or petrol etc ?? I would also appreciate any feedback as to how capable Navara's are off road. My wife finds the Patrols to large to drive and we both love the look of the Navara's so we have come to an agreement on what to buy. Any help much appreciated, cheers, Peter.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Peter.

Some say the Navara isn't as capable off-road as the Patrol, and there are definitely some other 4WDs that handle the rough stuff better. The Navara has a poor ramp-over because its wheelbase is so long, but that offers stability in other areas - it's a tradeoff. For my own purposes, I think the Navara is just fine.

The D22 is a smaller, lower-powered vehicle than the D40. You can fix the power issue by chipping the D22 and you can almost buy a brand new D22 for your $30K, whereas the base price on a D40 dual cab is about $45K.

The D40 has about 180mm more cabin space and most of that is in the back seat area. You'll notice that the D22 has a square rear-door window and the D40 has an extra little section in it - the doors are larger, to accommodate the larger area.

The D40 comes in turbo-diesel and petrol. The turbo diesel comes in 2.5L 4 cylinder and the new V6 diesel which puts out a staggering amount of power. The D40 4cyl diesels are getting about 10-12 litres per hundred km (LPHK) on light/highway cycle, the V6 diesel gets around 9LPHK and the V6 petrols get around 15-18LPHK.

The D22 only comes in turbo diesel (and I think only comes in a manual as well) and they get 8 to 9 LPHK on the highway.

These figures are an "average best". Some people get better, some get worse, but at least these are figures you could aspire to.

Both the D22 and D40 will tow 3 tonnes, but the D40 will do it easier unless you get the D22 chipped. They have different front suspension but are fairly similar in the tail.

There's some things to think about.

Thanks OldTony, what size engine is in the D22 and do you think that for general driving on and off road (including overtaking on highways etc) that the engine has enough power without the chip ?? Thanks again.

2.5L TD. They make 98kw and 314Nm of torque.

They go alright, smoother motor in general compared to the ZD30, QD32, TD27 etc in the D22 range..

hi peter
my vote goes to the d22 (i own a 2010 model)
they havent got quite as much power as a d40 but considering they are the same 2.5cr diesel engine(2008 onwards) they should last longer and be more reliable than the overworked d40 engine
mine sits with traffic fine ,overtakes great at 100ks and has towed a 21 ft fibreglass boat several times with no issues
they only come in manual
manual locking hubs and a manual 4wd selector(no electrical solenoids to fail)
the d40 is more comfy but you loose off road ability
d 22 also has more ground clearance
if you want a highway cruiser with some 4wd ability get a d40
if you want a capable 4wd and dont mind a rougher ride you cant go wrong with a
d22
BUT i suggest you go to your local car yard and test drive both
goodluck and welcome to the forum

Thanks Dave, sounds great Sparra but the wife only has an automatic license so that puts a spanner in the works. Do you know if Nissan are considering an Auto in the future ??

the wife only has an automatic license so that puts a spanner in the works. Do you know if Nissan are considering an Auto in the future ??

there is a guy on this forum with a ls1 v8 auto in a d22
so i guess anythings possible,but i doubt nissan will make an auto model
my mrs only has an auto licence too
(thats why mines manual):big_smile:

The D40 is avsailable in auto, just to clarify.

If you do consider the D40, you could get a 20010-2009 RX for $30k or a 2007-2008 STX for $30k although a 2008 STX for $30k might have a few km's on it or less then perfect condition. 2008 STX usually around $35k. just had a quick look on carsales.com.au and there was a couple there for $30k thou.

gday peter, i now have owned both a d22 "06" with the 3lt and now own 2010 mod d40 2.5lt.
i love both the d22 and the d40. i owned the d22 for just over 5yrs and put 350'000km on it and it really didnt miss a beat.
having put both nav's over some of the same trails, i do think that the d22 was a slightly better 4x4. but not by much, and would be nothing a few mods wont help with. having said that i have done quite a few days out with my mates and relos who own hiluxs and the d40 seems to out perform them, as i have made a few climbs that they havent both in the bush and on the sand dunes of stockton. so the d40 isnt that bad a 4x4 but it defiantly no patrol.
the main reason i went the d40 was the extra room in the back. having two kids, one who is 14 and growing like grass just didnt fit comfortably in the old d22.
in my opinion i think the bonuses of the d40 out way the minuses compared to the d22. the extra room, nicer ride, more power, the option of auto & petrol,the manual is a 6speed, the standard features of the ST and the STX D40 are better. more power. better low range 1st gear. auto locking hubs, & bigger tray space, all in my mind outweigh the small loss in 4x4 ability compared to the d22.
ultimately it will depend on whats available to you for your money, if you find a good d22 or d40 i dont think you can go to wrong.
i hope that helps. good luck with finding your new ride.
nathan

Thanks for all the help guys. nathand22, I realize the Patrol is a better off road vehicle but, are we talking night and day here ??

hey mate and welcome.

i have a 09 d22 with the 2.5L motor and even though i dont drive it alot (have a work car) its plenty for me. aftermarket comfort kit by efs fixed the genuine ride and gave me lift. i purchased mine privately just over a year ago for around the same figure your looking at. was a ripper of a deal cause it came with a few mods already done. yes im looking for more power so i will be chipping it but it has enough ghetto even as standard. as for offroad i honestly cant say great or not, have only taken it offroad once and i honestly say it performed as well as my brothers 05 st patrol wagon(it went anywhere his went).

either th d22 or d40 is a great car. my dad has the d40 for work and the only thing he hates is what i think is the ceramic clutch and dualmass flywheel. but if you have the auto you dont have that problem.

hope this helps.
Rusty

Thanks for all the help guys. nathand22, I realize the Patrol is a better off road vehicle but, are we talking night and day here ??

peter, you might want to ask some of the members that have owned navs and now own patrols, but i will have a crack anyway.
im not sure what you mean by night and day, but i have taken both of my navs on some pretty gnarly tracks and they have got me there, so personally im happy with what they can do. depending on what sort of tracks you want to do
there is always going to be big differences between any solid axle front end, as opposed to an independent front end 4x4, they just dont have the flex and end up picking the wheels up allot more, so obviously loose traction in the process. the other thing is you can run 35's on the patrol but you are asking a bit much of the navara's cv's, axles with that sort of rubber, not to mention the mods you would have to do to fit them. you also have so many more options as far as mods go with the patrol, massive lift kits, front air lockers ect.
so to answer your question i would say in some circumstances they are night and day, but only when the going gets really tuff. for most easy to moderate tracks your nav will do the job pretty comfortably with out any mods. add a rear air locker and a decent lift and tyres, it will get you most any where you want to go with out a problem. do the same mods to a patrol and your back to square one and the patrol will always go further.
im think thats enough of my jabber so i will leave it at that.

hi peter, not sure if you are still looking for a navara, but i saw one for sale today in my local spot where people try and sell cars.
its a black 2007 D40 STX manual with 119'000km on the clock
it has 11months rego and good rubber.
the car is mostly stock. it had its turbo replaced about 6 months ago, according to the owner.
they are asking $29'500 ono
if you want their ph number send me a pm.

Latest posts

Back