New body mounts but still a shutter/fluttee/knock noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dmac, when were your body mounts replaced and were they genuine Nissan 2-3 years ago?, if so there was a faulty Thai produced batch that despite being brand new failed upon installation. After 6 attempts by my local dealer I replaced the lot whilst still under wty. This may be unrelated to your annoying issue but it is an avenue worth looking into.

Update! I've taken everyone's feedback and opinions all into consideration. Yesterday I:
- pulled out all the left hand side body mounts inspected then, greased, swapped and reinstalled them.
- I've taken the passenger door skin off and inspected the door internals,
- pulled out the glove box and zip tied anything that moved.
- Stuck a washer in the bottom passenger door hinges and lifted the door up,
- zip tried my 4x4 gear stick to something as a trial to stop that from wobbling side to side.
- zip tied the wire bits that are at the rear of the chassis.
- pulled out the passenger seat bent, tightened and greased the rails.

This is the best way I can describe this noise...... It's cross between the 4x4 gear lever rattle when you give it a tap/ someone leaving a beer bottle in your door drink holder and it doesn't quit snugly fit/ something like thin plastic or metal under pressure being plucked like a guitar string. If you guys get my drift.

It's starting to get the better of me, I turn my radio off now just so I can hear it, I can't concentrate on conversations with anyone in the car coz I'm too busy trying to listen to the noise. I'm gonna burn down this ute if I don't find it soon!

Cab mounts were replaced 3 months ago the same time as shocks, next step maybe is take it to a suspension joint and get them to inspect everything under neath and get an alignment.

Last edited:
Once I've learnt how to post pics up through my mobile I'll put up some pics if my body mounts too.

Hmmm. Really weird thought, but side steps? The mounts are in the cab under the carpet. Maybe it is loose or something causing the rattle? Might be a wild thought, but if it wobbles when going over a bump then it's possible lol. Just unbolt it and go for a drive, that will tell you pretty quickly...

Try putting grease on where the torsion bar adjuster mounts to the x member at the end towards the back of the ute. Someone I saw did it online and said the noise because duller when they did it which identified it as the culprit.

Bods, yeah think I mite take the bolt out if the mount that's directly under the passengers feet n have a go at that,

Shorty, I'm gonna do that grease tonight and see how that goes.

I've read somewhere even though your wheel bearings may seem tight and greased but they still can make a knocking noise if their cactus so I think I'll get some new bearing and change them over anyway but I'm starting to thing it's git to be suspension related because no matter what speed or how hard I hit a bump in the road the noise appears, not louder or heavier sounding but it's normal volume, occasion is I hit the bump in a sweet spot the noise will prolong/wobble for a second longer.

I'm struggling to think what else it could be... how much would it do your head in if they have left something inside the chassis that's causing it lol

Okay so the guy who put grease on his put it where the adjuster contacts the cross member which is circled as 4 here. My theory is when the suspension travels to max droop so hitting a pot hole the torsion bar adjuster comes away from the cross member where it is located then slams back in once weight is back on the wheel, hence the knocking noise (the arrows I added to this image to show what I think the adjuster does, if I had a go pro I could film it happening). I have worked out no way to fix it though. Mine only happens on the left side.

Attachments

• 4point.jpg
    4point.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 71
Okay so the guy who put grease on his put it where the adjuster contacts the cross member which is circled as 4 here. My theory is when the suspension travels to max droop so hitting a pot hole the torsion bar adjuster comes away from the cross member where it is located then slams back in once weight is back on the wheel, hence the knocking noise (the arrows I added to this image to show what I think the adjuster does, if I had a go pro I could film it happening). I have worked out no way to fix it though. Mine only happens on the left side.
Maybe I don't get a rattle in mine because the passenger's side adjuster is wound all the way up so it's hard up against the crossmember

Man mine are indexed equally and are just on the edge of the outer surface of the cross member and mine only makes noise on the left side

Hmmm... i might have to hop under mine tomorrow and see if we can come up with something to put on there to quieten it down...

Checked my torsion bar thingy that other members had greased, mine like urs Bods are hard up against the crossmember, is it not ment to be? I took of my front passenger wheel and lubed/tightened everything again, I'm unsure what this part was or is but I'm assuming it was engine mounts but there seems to be a gap I was able to get my fingers in, I put a shit load of grease in the gap went for a cruise and noise still there. I've notice that if I pump my tyres up rock hard I can create the noise much more easier and it happens much me frequently.
Side step brackets and side step panel is done up as much as I can go....... Grr!

Hopefully these pics work

Attachments

• IMAG0719.jpg
    IMAG0719.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0721.jpg
    IMAG0721.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 70
Hey lads, had a win today on this stupid knock! As to now I've spent a total of 10hrs this weekend pulling everything apart such as doors, dash, exhaust, seat, centre console, pretty much anything. After leaving everything apart I went for an other drive and what do you know the Bastard knock had gotten worse, assuming everything was muffling the sound but after putting everything back together my brother came over, I threw the keys at him and said drive. As we were replicating the sound I was climbing all over car listening...... Found out that the culprit was a wiring plug underneath the passenger seat, the mount had come loose! Can't believe that's all it was! I had a box of matches and a Gerry can ready!

Attachments

• IMAG0725.jpg
    IMAG0725.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0724.jpg
    IMAG0724.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 72
Wow great find. Never would have picked that... hope you don't get another one now putting it all back together...

Soooo the rattle is still evident, being as angry as I was I took the seat out removed the carpet, removed the centre console and went for a drive with a 10mm socket and spanner. The noise was still that bloody relay! I pulled over unbolted the relay and wala! Found the actual real culprit!!! Turns out to be the actual relay it's self aka passenger airbag sensor. I held it my hand and shook it and it sounded like a chunk of loose metal was banging around inside of it. It sounded much like that plastic cup with dice in it when you play Yazi. Anyway I rang Nissan questioning them about it to see if it's ment to be this rattly. Apparently there's a ball bearing inside of it that measures the "G" forces when you have an accident and it's $680 for a new one,
$12 sound deadener and a piece of carpet later I think for the sake of $680 I'll put up with the rattle. It was a mission but I got there

Last edited:
Just for anyone coming across this thread for body mount issues, here is a video of my front left body mount popping in and out of its spot. https://vid.me/yv3N

I have tried removing the bolt and tightening the shit out of it way above factory torque setting and it still clunks. I am ordering two new front body mount rubbers

Latest posts

Back