New body mounts but still a shutter/fluttee/knock noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmac

Reaction score
I know that cab mounts have been done to death all over the net BUT I'm still getting a shutter/flutter/knock noise at the front passenger side of my ute. My ute is a 2010 d22 and to try to eliminate this noise I have don't so far:
- all new body mounts, left and right hand side.
- insulated my passenger front door.
- stuck a sock being my clove box so it's snug when it's closed.
- wrapped a towel around everything in my glove box
- replaced door strikers.
- lifted passenger door up.
-tip tied any loose wiring harness behind glove box.
- tightened everything in the surrounding area.
- refastened all the plastics inside wheel arch.
- tightened wheel bearings.
- loosened body mounts, greased and re tightened.

It's got me stuffed and none of those things have had an impact!
I can get the car to make the noise really good going over corrugations, over pot holes and general crappy roads. This is what I find weird too is that if my drivers side goes over a pot hole my passenger side will make the noise very distinctively.
Any more suggestions out there too look for? Thanks all.

Not the latch on the passenger's side door is it? The back doors have a plastic coating on the latch that is attached to the body, but the front doors don't. I can't say I've had that noise with mine, 2010 also with around 70k km. It has been mentioned on here before of the actual door rattling on the latch. I have had it happen in an 09 single cab I used to drive for work, but not my dual cab...

Do you mean the door striker? Where the door latches on that "D" shaped thing bolted to the centre pillar? If you mean them, yeah I've bough new ones with the insulation on them the same as the rears, before that I use to put a bit of electrical tape on them.

Unfortunately I'm the 2nd owner but yes it's been there since day dot in my possession. Originally thought body mounts or shocks thus why I got them changed

The common thing I see people talk about is the torsion bar adjuster in the xmember. When you drop the suspension suddenly to full droop I am pretty sure the adjuster drops down and then upwards quickly causing a banging sound.

Other thing you can look at is all your bushes on your from UCA/LCA and sway bar. If any of those are perished they can cause motion and then knocking. I replaced all my bushes but still hasnt fixed my passenger side knock, I can feel it through the floor hence why I think it is the torsion bar adjuster bracket hitting the xmember. Apparently if ypu coat it in grease the noise gets less loud and duller. Apparently most other cars the torsion bar adjuster bracket is actually insulated with a headwearing PVC to insulate against shock. I am not sure if you could retro fit something.

However this is strange that is always seems to be the passenger side as I have never heard/felt it on the drivers side

Bods - yeah I do have one and I thought maybe that could be knocking on something or loose somewhere so I've gone over that too.

Shorty - I was under the car yesterday hitting things with a mallet, plying everything with a screw driver and ply bar. I've checked my torsion bars to see if they could be knocking on anything but there's no show of wear anywhere.
The noise you can't feel it but only hear it, it sounds like its either in the front left guard, bottom of door by the speaker just under the glove box area ish!
I triple checked my body mounts and I've noticed that the bolt that goes through the mount is a few mm smaller than the inner diameter of the metal sleeve inside the body mount Is that normal? Could that be the culprit?

Jonney, I've put in new shocks in my self and have gone over the bushes, I can't see any bushes that are perished but there's a few softish ones, not too sure if that's normal or not.
The noise doesn't get louder with speed or bigger the pot hole, but if I hit a bump correctly the flutter/wobble/shudder will prolong.

have you had the cv's changed yet? does turning effect the noise?
from experience forgetting to install the bronze washer on the cv shaft allows freeplay and knocks with travel

Karine - na mate I haven't done the CVs, turning, in 4w4, hubs locked in, passenger in dear, reversing, thongs stuffed into the door when closed..... Still bloody does it!

Has the front end been wound up that you know of? If it is the torsion bar adjuster you wouldn't be able to see it as it sits inside the crossmember. If it is close to the crossmember it may be hitting, you'd have to get under there and stick your fingers up into the gap next to the adjuster to see how close it is...

My thoughts on the bullbar was the clearance to the front quarter panel. If it is too close it may be hitting, but it doesn't seem that is the case...

Bods what do you mean? The adjuster is close to the crossmember, it is inside it, with each end grooved to be in contact with the crossmember? Do you mean how far the adjuster has been wound up, ie how tucked inside the crossmember it actually is?

Yeah that's what I was getting at lol. I meant close as in close to the top of the inside of crossmember if it is wound up

Yeah my adjusters almost poke out of the cross member and mine still make noise. I need to get a gopro and mount it underneath so you can actually watch the suspension and see what part I moving to cause the noise. I and so sure it is the torsion bars. Mine has done it since I bought it and I have replaced every suspension component in the front and tightened my body mounts.

I had a noise for ages in my navara i only just found what was making it was right at the rear of the chassis there are 2 pieces of wire inside the rail that hold 2 bolts in place when i went over corrugation they would rattle like hell but the sound traveled to the front of the car just zipped tied them up and rattle gone hope this help mabye just have a look

Bods, yeah I did wind up the torsion bars a little a while back, I'll get under it tonight and suss out the area, I'm a little unsure on what you actually ment in your description but once I'm under the car it should all make sense.
Chopper, while I'm under the car tonight I'll have a suss of that too, not too sure what you mean about 2 pieces if wire inside the rail but I'll have a decent suss, I'll keep everyone posted! Doing my head in!

Bods, yeah I did wind up the torsion bars a little a while back, I'll get under it tonight and suss out the area, I'm a little unsure on what you actually ment in your description but once I'm under the car it should all make sense. Chopper, while I'm under the car tonight I'll have a suss of that too, not too sure what you mean about 2 pieces if wire inside the rail but I'll have a decent suss, I'll keep everyone posted! Doing my head in!

The wire bits are to hold the nut until you put the bolts in when installing tow bar! They then just sit there and rattle against the inside of the chassis

Latest posts

Back