Navara Turbo issues.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have stories of the same issue and getting away with just a turbo recon and no engine issues?

The turbo on my 2006 D22 3.0TD needed replacing with only 25,000klms on the clock.

Same story,started making a screeching noise on the way home from work - took it back to the Nissan dealer and they replaced the turbo 48hrs later.

After the turbo was replaced I did 200,000klm trouble free klms.

Well the oil analysis came back perfect. No wear metals etc and no fuel dilution. Trusted mechanic thinks its a boost leak but does not want to touch it in case it voids warranty. Will be taking it to idiot mechanic that the dealer uses tomorrow and hopefully the saga will end shortly. Contemplating just paying trusted mechanic to fix it, but its the principle of it. SIGH!

So the car is now finally fixed. Ended up having to get it fixed myself as the warranty guys kept screwing me around constantly. I kept taking time off work to get the car to them after being told they had a hire car for me which they never had. Lost more $$ in time off work than it would have been to pay to get it fixed myself.

My mechanic found more loose bolts left by the warranty guys (basically the too hard bolts which were in shitty positions they just finger tightened, they reused all the old gaskets and used a stupid amount of gasket glue to try to fill gaps due to the warping of the pipe work.

The face on the turbo where the exhaust bolts onto had to be machined, the egr joints had to be machined and also one of the joint had to be also machined as they had all slightly warped.

Luckily my mechanic is sympathetic and has tried to keep everything cheap as possible for me. Discounted labour rates etc etc.

So if your in Perth and need a good mechanic with decent ethics PM me!

Place I bought the car from as also decided to come to the party and pay the bill. Happy ending I must say!

Glad it all worked out for ya Clint.
As i'm about to take delivery of my brand spanka STR today or first thing tommorow, threads like these make me rather nervous. So in a nutshell i should be looking at a t-timer, asap and/or an intercooler, that slots between the donk and the turbo?

I wouldn't stress too much Uniden. There are a lot of horror stories but also so many stories of guys with no problems and great cars, its just blokes generally don't come on forums to confess their love of their vehicle!

I think the general consensus is a T Timer is a good idea. Or just idle your car for a bit after you drive it. Personally I enjoy the funny looks when people think I have left the car running at the shops :p

YD25DDTI's are already intercooled so no need for a new intercooler.

Dave.

But is the intercooler positioned between turbo and block? As in will it protect in case the turbo decides it's time for a holiday?

I wouldn't stress too much Uniden. There are a lot of horror stories but also so many stories of guys with no problems and great cars, its just blokes generally don't come on forums to confess their love of their vehicle!

I think the general consensus is a T Timer is a good idea. Or just idle your car for a bit after you drive it. Personally I enjoy the funny looks when people think I have left the car running at the shops :p

No stress here Clint :) Just trying to find out what preventative measures i can put in on my Nav. In a way trying to learn from what people have done and/or what they haven't but should/n't ave done. :big_smile:

But is the intercooler positioned between turbo and block? As in will it protect in case the turbo decides it's time for a holiday?

The intercooler sits between the turbocharger and the inlet manifold. It has to.

The turbocharger compresses the incoming air, which adds a fair amount of heat to the air. The hotter the air is, the fewer air molecules per unit volume, and when that goes into the combustion chamber, it means there's less air to allow the fuel to burn. By cooling the air, you're getting more air, allowing more combustion and therefore more power.

Only the finest metal particles that come away from a disintegrating turbocharger compressor would be able to make it into the inlet manifold - if they're very lucky. There are a number of twists and turns and lots of fine tubing in the intercooler - it's unlikely that any damage at all could occur to an engine with an intercooler if the turbo blows up.

That's "unlikely", not impossible. The chances are very, very slim for damage to occur, but you'd have to acknowledge that they are there.

You're welcome.

I should have a little more explanation about the operation of the intercooler so everyone can understand it better - as well as see why they don't work as well on hot days!

Ambient air is outside the intercooler and is used to cool the air inside the intercooler, so cooling the air BEFORE the turbocharger would provide next to zero benefit. However, there's a higher air temperature AFTER the turbocharger, so using ambient air temperatures to cool THAT air does make a difference.

It's not as effective out in the desert. On a really hot day, ambient temps are high anyway, so with a smaller temperature difference, you get a smaller cooling effect.

You can increase the cooling rate (and therefore the efficiency) by adding a misting system to the intercooler. Just pump a little water through those garden misting sprayers sitting in front of the intercooler - the moisture will actually lower the surface temperature of the intercooler, and as the water evaporates it will carry even more heat away, improving the intercooler's efficiency.

Would it be noticeable? I don't know. It's a mod I plan to do one day, but haven't bothered with it yet.

You can increase the cooling rate (and therefore the efficiency) by adding a misting system to the intercooler. Just pump a little water through those garden misting sprayers sitting in front of the intercooler - the moisture will actually lower the surface temperature of the intercooler, and as the water evaporates it will carry even more heat away, improving the intercooler's efficiency.
Would it be noticeable? I don't know. It's a mod I plan to do one day, but haven't bothered with it yet.

An old high school friend of mine created some sort of a misting system i believe on his mazda rx7. He had a 13B turbo engine inside it.
He re-routed the windscreen washer system, right onto/into the turbo (don't ask me exactly where/how) for this very purpose. I'm not sure how effective it was, but it was one of his little projects to sqeeze every little inch of power out of the engine. IN theory it should help i guess.

It's not as effective out in the desert. On a really hot day, ambient temps are high anyway, so with a smaller temperature difference, you get a smaller cooling effect.

true but you stil have to remember the temp difference between ambient air and max boost temp is still big.
the BIG killer is under bonnet temps, ie heatsoak, heating up the air inlet pipes.

true but you stil have to remember the temp difference between ambient air and max boost temp is still big.
the BIG killer is under bonnet temps, ie heatsoak, heating up the air inlet pipes.

Has anyone thought to run double-wall pipes with ambient-air cooling in the wallspace? It wouldn't take a high pressure flow, just enough to ensure that the inner pipe doesn't get a lot of radiant heat soaked through from the outer.

Then the big question is this: by changing from single-wall to double-wall pipes, what is the power/economy improvement and is it worth it?

double wall pipes would cost a fortune. easier just to lag them. plenty of thermo products around that will do it. its not just doing the inlet pipe to turbo but also outlet pipe from turbo. turbo outlet temp can be 150 easy enough.

Don't mean to be a thread thief again, but i thought i'd ask here since it is in relation to turbo. What is a reasonable time to wait after a short trip until it's safe to shut the engine down? For instance today in Melb its 16C and after a 10-15 minute short easy drive, i still waited about a minute. Am i being too paranoid?

not at all. its not the length of drive that matters. its how much fuel you burning within the last minute or so before you stop. even a slight hill is enough to but the temps high enough to warrant waiting a minute.

Hi
Just fitted a T3/T4 turbo and a front mount intercooler on my Series 1 D22 qd32. So reading this thread is interesting. A big thing I noticed was the temperature difference between one side of intercooler piping to the other. Inlet manifold side was much cooler - so intercoolers do work well.
Also aluminium piping seems to dissipate heat quickly. (Think of how cold a can of beer feels compared to a stubbie).

Alan

Back