Navara Turbo issues.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its under 3 month warranty so its getting looked at tomorrow by the dealerships mechanic. Id much rather be pulling it apart myself but seeing as it is possibly going to be expensive I will be just leaving it to them to sort out. Ill let you guys know what the issue is as soon as I know. So irritating driving my old 94 commodore while the Navara is sitting there looking all pretty.

On an upside the issue has forced me to find this forum. And I have already picked up a lot of info. Ill be doing the EGR mod soon. Maybe once the three month warranty is up so they can't shaft me citing "engine modifications" if anything else goes.

On my return trip from the Vic Alps, a noise began coming from the turbo... Took it to Dubbo Nissan to have a look/listen, and he says its most likely a leak in the egr pipe too. Told me it was good to get home to brissy with as long as the noise/performance did not get worse. Made it home last night with no issues, so I think he's on the money...
Will be getting the EGR pipe checked over and replace gaskets asap. Hopefully there'll be no other issues with the turbo!

Got the Navara back today. Turbo was reconditioned and seems to have fixed the noise so far. All work done for free on the used car warranty thankfully. Now for a turbo timer!!

So I took the Nav to my trusted mechanic and he had a quick look over the warranty job. Found a few mounting bolts loose and also wants to replace the oil feed line just in case. Its pretty discoloured (by heat) which I guess is normal but he has seen them before when the the oil feed heats up and the oil hasn't been changed for a while it can result in the oil feed pinching with carbon build up.

His thought process is that the turbo failed for a reason and the warranty guys can't supply a reason. They didn't even chase the people who did the recon for diagnosis on what failed and possible reason for failure.

So Thursday the parts come in from Melbourne and the trusted mechanic will give me a hand to ensure the turbo is being fed oil adequately.

Love the fuzzy feeling when you can trust a mechanic.

The turbo could have failed because it was left spooled up when the engine was shut down. You might get away doing that once, maybe even twice, but each time you do it, hot oil inside the turbo is being baked and despite anti-varnish agents in oils these days, it will still leave something behind and eventually will cause damage. The heat of the turbo would travel some small distance down the oil feed lines and clog them up a little, inhibiting oil flow - you might find that it's not enough to do any damage but why take that chance?

Your trusted mechanic sounds like he's right on the money. And an EGT-based turbo timer sounds like a good investment.

I don't use one myself - I've been thinking of installing a pyrometer on the turbo housing (on the turbine side) and measuring the EGTs from that.

............ also wants to replace the oil feed line just in case. Its pretty discoloured (by heat) which I guess is normal but he has seen them before when the the oil feed heats up and the oil hasn't been changed for a while it can result in the oil feed pinching with carbon build up.

can't say i've ever seen it discoloured by heat. i would also check the CAT is not fouled up and causing excessive backpressure and excessive turbo heat.

Ill drop the cat this avo. What exactly am I looking for. A heap of carbon build up I assume. Is there a trick to these banjo bolts?. Won't be able to see mechanic this week so ill have to change the feed myself. Cheers guys your all so helpful.

I'll take a photo after work so you can see the discolouration

yeah just looking to see if its blocked up by soot.
banjo bolts are easy, DO NOT use sealant on them.

yeah just looking to see if its blocked up by soot.
banjo bolts are easy, DO NOT use sealant on them.

Haha yeah I gathered that. I have the gaskets coming too. Was just curious if you had to line the holes up but from some research you obviously don't.

Here is a shot of the current feed. Note the shiny purpley blue.

IMAG0164.jpg

Well I picked the Navara up last Wednesday and the noise was gone. Did about 400 country ks over the weekend and the noise came back on the way back into town. Trusted mechanic is looking at it tonight to see if he can figure out wtf is going on. Also sampled the oil for an analysis to check diesel/oil contamination etc.

Who knows may be boost leaking some where and not even the bearings.

Will keep you guys posted.

From the original "screeching" I was imagining a high-pitched metal-on-metal kind of noise.

Could it be like a high-note on a whoopee cushion? Could easily be a boost leak. How old are the hoses and what kind of clamps are holding them on? Do you have an intercooler and does it have any signs of damage or corrosion?

From the original "screeching" I was imagining a high-pitched metal-on-metal kind of noise.

Could it be like a high-note on a whoopee cushion? Could easily be a boost leak. How old are the hoses and what kind of clamps are holding them on? Do you have an intercooler and does it have any signs of damage or corrosion?

It is so hard to explain the noise as we all have a different take on what a noise sounds like. No intercooler. The hoses and clamps are bog standard from the day of manufacture I believe. Going to go over it all tonight. The joys of car ownership.

Cheers for your interest tony :)

hey mate sorry to hear the bad noise about the turbo. The turbo crapped itself on my car about 6 months ago now and the engine some how ate some of the turbo and punched it into the head the mechanic said but mine was from sand in the turbo from the last owner. hope all goes well mate

hey mate sorry to hear the bad noise about the turbo. The turbo crapped itself on my car about 6 months ago now and the engine some how ate some of the turbo and punched it into the head the mechanic said but mine was from sand in the turbo from the last owner. hope all goes well mate

And that folks is why we fit intercoolers. Apart from giving a mild performance enhancement, they catch bits of turbochargers.

Sorry to hear about that mate. It may also have been mistreatment - not letting the turbo cool after a run - which is the main reason why people fit turbo timers.

There is a turbo upgrade kit coming onto the market from ATX.

Ill be doing mine.

Dave.

sounds familiar

Hey Bruce i hear ya buddy, i have a 2005 d22 3.0 DI STR 5 spd man and i know what your talking about - the noise to me sounds like an induction type screechy noise, i am yet to check mine out but i have a 5 year warranty to help me out a little if anything goes wrong. The noise as you said is a hard one to describe but its either a blowing type screech or a sucking type screech almost as if you had a pod stuck on the front of the turbo, cheers from Gav.

Hey Bruce i hear ya buddy, i have a 2005 d22 3.0 DI STR 5 spd man and i know what your talking about - the noise to me sounds like an induction type screechy noise, i am yet to check mine out but i have a 5 year warranty to help me out a little if anything goes wrong. The noise as you said is a hard one to describe but its either a blowing type screech or a sucking type screech almost as if you had a pod stuck on the front of the turbo, cheers from Gav.

Don't forget to check air hoses for splits, intercooler for leaks and if you've done an EGR mod, you might find it leaking back through that valve.

Back