More worrying than Gonski or NDIS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc

Reaction score
Interesting discussions about Gonski and NDIS.

What I find more worrying tho, is that referendum has been mooted to take place on the September Federal election date. Apparently there is talk of a change to the constitution to recognise local Governments.

Why do I find this worrying? Our constitution is a terribly important document, and changes have been proposed, yet although I regard myself as relatively up to date on current affairs of state, this one has received such little press attention, I would suggest that a great many Australians probably can't provide a considered opinion on the subject.

What are your thoughts? Not about whether or not the change has merits, but about it being suggested with little in the way of informed public debate.

Ill be voting no as we have been told jack shit about what extra powers it will give councils.

Lets face it, councils had too much power as it is. Since they wont let you cut down trees etc. They're nice enough to let you cut it up after its fallen on your house. :rolleyes:

Well he's got no idea where I live or what effects my local area so he's on a par with most of them.

Keep State governments and councils and sack Federal Governments. That way the states that are failing will have to bail their own arses out if the bog they put themselves in hahahahaha ;)

Vote for the Green's like NakedApe does.

Tax people till they're near homeless to pay for those who dont work, wont work and want to save the whales, climate by taxing everything that emits CO2.

If they tax things that effect the climate bulls need to be taxed too, if bulls need to be taxed due to what the excrete then most humans should also be made to pay the same tax.

If they're going to tax shit then everyone's done for. I wonder how the accountants are going to claim deductions on that - "oh this one wasn't so bloody smelly at all!" or "nahh had the runs mate, so it was more like a brown piss than a turd so you can't tax it".

If there's little to no public debate on the topic then it's for one of two reasons: either the media has found other things that are more sensational, or don't want to highlight the particular subject for their own agenda, or the government doesn't want to highlight the particular subject.

I'd be very wary of a simple "NO" vote. What if the question were this:

"Would you prefer that the federal government stayed OUT of the local government issues and handed a bunch of power to dickheads like Councillor Tate (Newcastle)"

or

"Would you like us to start busting heads in local governments and make them do the right thing?"

Answer "No" at your peril.

Tax people till they're near homeless to pay for those who dont work, wont work and want to save the whales, climate by taxing everything that emits CO2.

I vote krafty at every election.

BTW - howard was the highest taxing prick since henry 8th.

new taxes:

1. Alcopops tax.

2. New tax on Australians working overseas.

3. Cutting what Australians can put into superannuation tax-free.

4. Restrictions on business losses.

5. Changes to Employee Share Scheme.

6. Cigarette tax hike of 25%.

7. The Mining tax.

8. Ethanol taxation increases.

9. LPG excise increase.

10. Tightening restrictions on medical expenses before you can claim them on tax.

11. Increase in luxury car tax.

12. Flood tax.

13. Tax increase on company cars.

14. Abolition of Entrepreneurs’ Tax Offset.

15. Phasing out of Dependent Spouse Tax Offset.

16. Disallowance of deductions against government assistance payments.

17. Removing minors’ eligibility for the low income tax offset on unearned income.

18. Deferral of Tax Breaks for Green Buildings.

19. Great big new carbon tax.

Taxes fix everything, ask Dudd, Gillard and Swan.

new taxes:

1. Alcopops tax.

2. New tax on Australians working overseas.

3. Cutting what Australians can put into superannuation tax-free.

4. Restrictions on business losses.

5. Changes to Employee Share Scheme.

6. Cigarette tax hike of 25%.

7. The Mining tax.

8. Ethanol taxation increases.

9. LPG excise increase.

10. Tightening restrictions on medical expenses before you can claim them on tax.

11. Increase in luxury car tax.

12. Flood tax.

13. Tax increase on company cars.

14. Abolition of Entrepreneurs’ Tax Offset.

15. Phasing out of Dependent Spouse Tax Offset.

16. Disallowance of deductions against government assistance payments.

17. Removing minors’ eligibility for the low income tax offset on unearned income.

18. Deferral of Tax Breaks for Green Buildings.

19. Great big new carbon tax.

Taxes fix everything, ask Dudd, Gillard and Swan.

Every gov will have a list that long - they make some, they break some. You're just pissed off; at everything.

Always vote no. Last time in 1967 we votes yes over some Abo issues, we gave birth to the Aboriginal Industry, which today is mostly made up of whites.
If we recognise Local Governments, then we will set in train a new regime of taxation.
Vote yes, to reduce politcians powers and their income.

<snip>

I'd be very wary of a simple "NO" vote. What if the question were this:

"Would you prefer that the federal government stayed OUT of the local government issues and handed a bunch of power to dickheads like Councillor Tate (Newcastle)"

or

"Would you like us to start busting heads in local governments and make them do the right thing?"

Answer "No" at your peril.

I think that's the problem I am struggling with Tony - that there is such little exposure to this at the moment, there is very little in the way of analysis - both positive and contrary. Kinda makes it difficult for the average person to make an informed decision.

So this referendum is going to cost us quite a few million $, yet our elected "leaders" have not ordained it necessary to start the public debate on what we are supposed to vote on. Maybe because there are no votes in it for them....

Latest posts

Back