Birdsville Races 2012

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do they pull it on or off the ferry if the cars on the other side? If you send the car first how do they pull it on or if they send the caravan first how do there get it off?

Ok, I've got 2 possibilities for routes to take, and I'd love some feed back/expressions of interest to join in, the idea is to definitely be in Birdsville for a few days for the races.

1. Start at Cameron's corner, from there do innamincka, haddon corner, Birdsville (races) poeppel's corner, hay river road upto the plenty hwy, then either turn and head back to the east coast (rockhampton), or head north and see some of the gulf country.

2. Make a beeline for Birdsville, see the races, then do poeppel's corner, haddon corner, innamincka, Cameron's corner then split from there (we'd come home via thargomindah, etc.)

I would love to come on this journey. I reakon it would be awsome. I will be a late bloomer though. Wont know until closer tO the dates due to work. But i would love to attend if work allows.

While there's been a bit of discussion around here about visiting Poeppl's Corner after the races, nobody mentioned that we need a Desert Parks Pass.

It was also not mentioned that we need a camping permit to camp in the Simpson Desert.

So, is this actually the case? It looks to be so on the South Aus side, but if we stay on the Qld side (except for the photo) do we need them?

The word is that rangers have stepped up their patrols in that area and there's no way I want one of them stealing MY pickanick basket.

Hey all

I have only just caught this thread and from how it sounds anyone who makes the trip is going to have a great time. It has definatly inspired me to look into my work schedule for the second half of the year and see if there is any chance of getting time off. Lucky for me it slots into a space that is available, unfortunatly for me in my line of work schedules change quickly.

However will be keeping an eye on here and playing things by ear and might even get the chance to get to meet some of you guys, I have borrowed plenty advice from this forum and would be nice to put faces to some of the stories - even get that compulsory photo of a line of Navs in front to the birdsville pub

Cheers

Im a definate. Coming up from adelaide via the flinders. Allowing three days each side so I can have an adventure. Im thinking of doing the birdsville track, k1 line through the Simpson on the way there. On the way back might go through Walkers Crossing and Inniminka to see the dig tree etc.

All depends on the roads etc and I will probably only have my vehicle. Not sure how busy the K1 and Walkers Crossing tracks will be should I get into strife. Hiring a sat ph may be an answer there though.

Does anyone know anything about those tracks?

I wouldn't rely on there being Rangers out & about. And I'd pack an EPIRB, SAT Phone or HF Radio too - but I'm preaching to the converted aren't I.

I was told to be really careful to take a SA Desert Parks Pass with me, because if I so much as sneeze on the SA side of the border there'll be a park ranger there to remove my head for it. That gave me the impression that the place would be buzzing with these guys itching to hand out tickets. Is that not the case?

I was told to be really careful to take a SA Desert Parks Pass with me, because if I so much as sneeze on the SA side of the border there'll be a park ranger there to remove my head for it. That gave me the impression that the place would be buzzing with these guys itching to hand out tickets. Is that not the case?

Parkies over this way are being squeezed for budget - so they can fairly thin on the ground at times. I'm guessing they'll make the effort to be out & about before and after the Birdsville races - but its a big place! Certainly take your pass with you - cause you can bet that if you don't there'll be a ranger behind every dune.

As it stands at the moment, Big Red needs to be detoured. The salt lakes nearby are soft, so lots of care needs to be taken.

Worst news for us: we MUST take our little dog with us, and we are NOT allowed to take her into the Simpson Desert so that part of the trip is off for us. We can still go to Birdsville!

Worst news for us: we MUST take our little dog with us, and we are NOT allowed to take her into the Simpson Desert !

tony we have 2 little dogs running around in back yard
we can watch yours for you if you like

I am green with envy Tony - was watching Paul Lockyer's Lake Eyre the other night. Pretty bloody spectacular country!

Is this trip still on peoples agendas?

Looking at doing the Strzlecki Track to Innimincka and on to Birdsville via the Cordillo Rd. I should arrive at Birdsville on the 28th which will give me enough time to find a decent camping spot.
Afterwards Im looking a theading through the Simpson to Mt Dare and the doing the Old andado Track to Alice Springs.

I have 15 days to do all this.

So.... is anyone else heading to the races or know of where to camp etc.

For those wanting to fill up at Quilpie the Mobil Depot is closed. But heading west, take the next turn left, and the operators of the old Mobil have a brand spanking tank set up on the left hand side (about 100m off the main road)

Thats a shame Tony. I could imagine me doing this trip again as theres so many track options in both directions.
I will be sure to post a trip report up.

Latest posts

Back