Mods to engine - can they make the car slower?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinE

Reaction score
Just a query - I was coming up a fairly long hill in the burbs in my bog stock 2.5 CR D22 & a bloke driving a heavily modded ZD30 D22 in the next lane with, by the sound of it, a straight through pipe & he was flogging the daylights out of it. from 2nd gear, I accelerated to the speed limit & to my surprise, left him behind.

Not sure what others think, but I normally find a ZD30 is quicker off the mark than a YD25 & not much between them in the mid range.

This guy was definitely trying to towel me up - the YD25 D22 is no sports car & he failed miserably! Poor engine mods? Maybe too much weight carrying half of the ARB shop in mods on the car?

The exhaust note was crap too! It sounded like a 2 stroke running without a muffler.

You're right weight is a massive factor in that type of acceleration so if he's carrying a bullbar, winch, dual batteries, rear bar etc etc acceleration is going to suffer. Chances are he was also running 33s or something by the sound of it and the weight, gearing and rolling diameter are all going to negatively effect acceleration. Then there's all the other hidden things like age of vehicle, k's, service history etc which can lead to reduced power over the years.

It's unlikely to be poor engine mods, it's not like an NA car where you can have too big an exhaust etc. Possibly poor maintenance in the form of split hoses or leaking boost but i think its most likely the former things.

Just smile. A win is a win :rambo:

most have no clue when it comes to performance add ons I see some clowns here asking when to change gears ffs that sums it up get someone that knows what there doing to assist with this stuf dyno tha bastard

it can be poor mods.
air intake sucking up hot engine bay air is a classic, as is long skinny snorkel.

but zd30 runs different gearing to most of the yd25 d22's and gearing can make a huge difference in performance.

He could have a failing turbo as well. ZD30 turbocharger isn't likely to be a couple of months old, it could be just about ready to blow. Who knows, if you'd stuck with him a few more minutes you might have watched as his impeller blew itself out through the bonnet.

A failing turbo won't stop the engine from revving, it will just make the engine perform REALLY poorly.

Wait until you try a D40 without a turbocharger. You'd do the standing quarter faster in a mobility scooter.

He could have a failing turbo as well. ZD30 turbocharger isn't likely to be a couple of months old, it could be just about ready to blow. Who knows, if you'd stuck with him a few more minutes you might have watched as his impeller blew itself out through the bonnet.

A failing turbo won't stop the engine from revving, it will just make the engine perform REALLY poorly.

Wait until you try a D40 without a turbocharger. You'd do the standing quarter faster in a mobility scooter.
Been there!! and can testify to the incredible loss of power on turbo meltdown

The more 4x4 capable the vehicle the less roadable it gets.
Lift, Tyres, weight of gear.

Been there.... and it was fun off road, a bit less fun on road.

Nope..only common rail for me...cooked a 2 day old turbo on my d40...spooled up then squealed and.....nothing but black smoke..was quite a sight...so was the turbo.

most have no clue when it comes to performance add ons I see some clowns here asking when to change gears ffs that sums it up get someone that knows what there doing to assist with this stuf dyno tha bastard

You're clearly referring to my post here where I was basically asking:

"specifically wen I should be shifting up gears for optimum power / efficiency"

I'm trying to measure the power and torque of my D22 before and after some mods with a Gtech pro which produces graphs such as this
ss_screens_inv.jpg
that can be used for comparison so I know exactly what affect mods are having rather than just anecdotal "it goes better".

Your input of:

"ha ha the motor tells ya dude give it enuff berries to get going and change in the sweet spot easy peesy"

Is completely unhelpful, as is your condescending comment in this thread (and several others). This forum is about helping each other to enjoy our vehicles and experiences that they enable us to have, for some people it might be their first 4wd or first diesel and when you make condescending comments it will inevitably discourage people from asking a question that might be seen by your 40 years of experience as stupid.

Normally I let comments like this slide and bite my tongue when it comes to the BS that gets thrown about, but I for one would appreciate you thinking about the impact some of the comments you make can have on the community.

Last edited:

I'm trying to measure the power and torque of my D22 before and after some mods with a Gtech pro which produces graphs such as this
ss_screens_inv.jpg
that can be used for comparison so I know exactly what affect mods are having rather than just anecdotal "it goes better".

Your input of:

"ha ha the motor tells ya dude give it enuff berries to get going and change in the sweet spot easy peesy"

Is completely unhelpful, as is your condescending comment in this thread (and several others). This forum is about helping each other to enjoy our vehicles and experiences that they enable us to have, for some people it might be their first 4wd or first diesel and when you make condescending comments it will inevitably discourage people from asking a question that might be seen by your 40 years of experience as stupid.

Normally I let comments like this slide and bite my tongue when it comes to the BS that gets thrown about, but I for one would appreciate you thinking about the impact some of the comments you make can have on the community.
sorry darl I give free cuddles not that I was quoting your original thread hope you work it out

ss_screens_inv.jpg

Your input of:

You've hit the nail on the head with this post!

Latest posts

Back