Life of a Snatch Strap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

So i have had a snatch strap from my old forerunner which i think we unwrapped once in 2001 i dont think we ever used it for any recovery.
it still looks new no frays or anything. will it still be ok?

My view for the price of new gear which you know the history of its a no brainer. I would ditch the old strap and spend the coin on a new strap. 10+ years old is a bit long in the tooth for me. I would hate to lose my truck, damage it, or hurt/kill someone base on $50-100 bucks I was a tight ass on.

As I said thats my view. Know the history of your gear and if it is old or well used or has been shock loaded or anything like that - ditch it.

Mark.

if its never been used as you say then i cant see any reason to trash it, doesnt hurt to have a spare one thou

Get a new one and use the old one as a winch extension strap if you have one. As long as the strap looks on good condition they are usually pretty good

With something that old, and so little use, storage is the issue.
Was it stored near petroleum products?(near spare fuel, oil, etc?)
Was it exposed to heat and/or sunlight? (aka in a tool box on the back of the vehicle?
Was it kept in a clean or dirty place?

The problem with synthetics is they go brittle if they are not looked after properly.
Do you still have the figures on % stretch?
Try a stretch test.

I've got climbing stuff way older than that that I still use, but not on cliff faces any more (vbg).

If there is no obvious wear/degradation signs, then use it for gentle work if you are worried.

It should be ok to use if stored correctly as stated by others. You should only use it once tho then get a new one.

Once it has been streched it losses all of its strength. I have worked with recovery gear for seven year, and we use to get read of them.

Cheers lads i think most of you said what i had thought already. I will get a new one but keep that as a backup or tow or whatever.

That said it has been out of the sun still in its original open bag in a fairly clean environment.

Off to shark bay this weekend in my new 08 D40 to give it a good run. With any luck I wont need it anyway!

snatch straps should never be used as tow or winch extensions. For both those uses you require something without the stretch. If its never been used and stored out of the sun it is as good as a new one.

I'd work on each strap having about 12 snatches in them, then replace. Pretty good considering what it would cost to get someone RACQ to come pull you out. Take into consideration that if many of those snatches were in deep mud where the strap has been filty then washed over and over i'd maybe look at reducing that lifespan.

Al said:
I'd work on each strap having about 12 snatches in them, then replace. Pretty good considering what it would cost to get someone RACQ to come pull you out. Take into consideration that if many of those snatches were in deep mud where the strap has been filty then washed over and over i'd maybe look at reducing that lifespan.

12 snatches? mine must be well and truely be past its used by then.
as long as its not frayed or cut it should be ok to use. if used in mud make sure you soak in fresh water and allow to dry before packing away.

They do lose a lot of strength after a few goes, so even if it still looks sweet it may be time for replacement Josh.

Back