Intermittent loss of power, + Check engine light.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz.fx

Reaction score
Hey Fellas.

Hoping you could enlighten me on my intermittent loss of power problem.

2004, D22, Zd30 4wd

Was driving into town this afternoon and the Nav started to lose power, only for a fraction of a second, but enough to really notice it.
Being on a country road with nowhere to pull over without going over the edge of the sheer dropoff.
All I could do was pucker up and continue on. It started to get worse, especially under load (going up hill) to the point where the poor ol' dog headbutted the dash a few times. Then the Check engine light came on.

I finally got into town, done a few things for 10 minutes, including adding some injector cleaner to the tank and headed back home.
The Check engine light didn't come back on after I started it and it was driving fine for about 5 minutes, then it started again and about half way home the Engine light came back on.

I bridged pins 1 & 8 on the diagnostics port to get the CEWL to blink, but I have no idea on how to decode the flashes.
Here they are if anybody can read them:

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET9jykmjx8M&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

To me it looks like 3 different codes.
0403 Accelerator position sensor.
0401 intake air temp.
0707 injection timing.

0707 is the worst one, have you changed the fuel filter recently? Air in the fuel system is the most likely problem. Warm it up and let it idle for 10 minutes, this resets the Throttle Position Sensor and might clear 0403. 0401 is nothing major. Try clearing them and see what comes back the could have been there for a while.

Attachments

• manual dtc.JPG
    manual dtc.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Hey Rumpig, thanks for the reply.
Those blink codes make perfect sense now.
I disconnected the battery yesterday afternoon and have let it sit overnight in the hope that it might reset "something"
I really don't have much of a clue on what I'm doing and living in a rural area I'm a bit hesitant on driving it into town for fear of not making it. (not the most convenient road to break down on).
I'll see if I can pull a rabbit out of my hat and somehow get my hands on a new fuel filter. Hopefully it's something that simple as there's no way I'll ever be able to get to work on Monday.

quick update.
Installed a new fuel filter and took it for a short 5K drive and all seems well now :driver:

After about 60,000 pumps on the plunger I found that if you leave it unbolted and plunge it while it's sideways things go a lot faster.

As for the codes.
Leaving the battery disconnected overnight didn't seem to clear any of them and letting it idle also hasn't cleared the Accelerator position sensor code (although I'm trying it again right now)
How do you clear the codes? If I can clear them today I can check it again in a few days to see if they pop up again.

Haven't tried this as I have ecutalk.

Attachments

• erase dtc 1.JPG
    erase dtc 1.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 149
  • erase dtc 2.JPG
    erase dtc 2.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 159
I have used the method described in the second thumbnail that rumpig posted, and it worked fine for me.

Fantastic..
0505 No faults detected.

I'll check it again after I drive to work and back a few times, but for now I'll consider the problem resolved.
Thank you very much for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Here's some better res pics of what I posted earlier.

Attachments

• erase dtc 1.JPG
    erase dtc 1.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 107
  • erase dtc 2.JPG
    erase dtc 2.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 107
  • erase dtc 3.JPG
    erase dtc 3.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 81
Back