i think i blew sum thing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodviper

Reaction score
hey guys charged my batery last night went to put it in and stupid me did not check what terminals before i conceted and the wiring from the battery started to smoke i puled it off straight away i then turned the battery around conceted it up and now nothing where is the fuse in this for the ignition or have i blown sumthing else and now i have no lights or any thing

See, when a girl says what the thread title says, you know she really knows what happened and she's just playing with you.

Mate, there's a good chance that any computer in that truck is fried. Fuses don't protect against reverse polarity, only current draw (load).

However, there should be some primary fuses under the bonnet and the rest are probably inside the cabin. Dion could tell you exactly where.

I thought most battery terminals were different sizes so you couldn't make that mistake, must be an oversight on the D21.

Did you try starting the vehicle with the battery connected like that, or did it just start smoking straight away?

Yours is a Z24 right? No computer in that thing. No fusible links either, just fuses, under the dash, to the right of the driver's right knee. Have you checked the voltage across the battery?

The only computer in that is the glow control module and that doesn't inhibit the starter. Check the battery voltage and the fuses as a starting point.

ok
are we talking the fuses under the dash or under the bonet

i will go try anothe rbattery out of my wagon

well i threw in another battery started first go but now my lights dont work grrr could i have just blown the battery

No fuseable link?? WOW that's an oversight.

I'm must be dumb today, as I can't see what would cause the wiring to smoke from reverse polarity.:suicide2:

Well I'm thinking through the wiring harness for both the Z24 and the TD27 and I'm not seeing a fusible link anywhere under the bonnet. On the QD32 harness there definitely was one.

It's understandable then that my 1977 XJS Jaguar didn't. Good old British electrics. Neither did my Volkswagens. I don't think my L300 had one and it was an 80s model.

These things might seem like a good idea but I guess the uptake of new ideas - no matter how good - will never be instantaneous. In any arena.

well car is running the only powerd items that work are the wipers and washes and a red light on the dash telling me my batery is flat

Might be the alternator. It has a rectifier in it that is polarised - reversing the battery polarity might kill it.

Check the battery voltage before starting and after starting. If the voltage doesn't rise over 13V while the engine is running, there's a good chance you blew up the alternator and/or regulator.

That'll be why the red light is on then. The light indicates a failure to charge, not a battery failure.

How are you going with those headlights? How about indicators & brake lights, are they ok?

well i am sitting in the nave now with my wireless lap top still cant get any thing all the fuses seam fine under the dash

Brake lights shouldn't be affected by a reverse polarity. I asked about the indicators because the flasher can might have been toasted - some were electronic, others were simple bi-metal relays.

How good is the cable that started smoking? Did it get hot enough to damage itself? Did any solder joints let go?

A list of the electricals that work and don't work might also help.

Headlights
Parking lights
Brake lights
Interior lights
Indicator lights
Wipers
Wiper washer
Stereo
Dash gauges (eg fuel)

Let's see if we can narrow down some of the damage.

My brothers old 1983 MQ shorty had a fusable link.

Anyway.

Check all the wiring and see what you can find.

Back