I have afew options - which one is the best tho

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerrie0400

Reaction score
I'm buying a navara d40 this weekend but I have afew options to choose from, I was hoping to get the opinion of some d40 owners as to which ute is the best deal. Im not going off road with it - family car :rock:

Option 1 - Dealer

2006 STX for $ 13850
194,719kms
manual
petrol v6
ironman suspension
8 months rego

Option 2 - private

2005 STX for $15500
165000kms
6 speed manual
petrol v6
2 months rego

Option 3 - Private

2007 STX for $13000
200,000kms
auto
petrol v6
2 months rego

Option 4 - Private

2005 STX for $14500
218,000kms
auto
diesel
8 months rego
CHIPIT diesel chip with EGT
3" lift kit

I would prefer petrol because they are a lot cheaper to fix. My partner is a mechanic so that's a bonus but we have never owned d40 and not sure what is the best deal. I would like one that's reasonable on fuel if possible :blasign:

So if anyone can help me out that be great.

If you dont intend to use it off road and you are keen on the V6 petrol try looking at the 2X4 version, they will not only be better on fuel because you dont have to push

the front diff and carry the weight of all the 4x4 mechanics, ie transfer-case, front diff ect.

As fro wich one of those is better, its hard to say as they all appear to much the same on paper.

I personally never look at km and just inspect, drive and judge the car on its merits.

You can have one car with 80,000km on it that will be far worse then one with 150,000km on it.

For an eg My utes generally end up with high km on them when i sell them but i do 95% of my miles on the freeway, if there was an identical car with the same km

but had done all of those km around the city i would say all that stopping, starting, gear changes, steering, doors open closed ect ect would definitely show over the

entire car and would be no where near as nice to drive as apposed to a ute like my old ones doing 500km a day driving to and from the ACT the brakes, gears, clutch

and every thing else are hardly being used and sitting on 110kph the thing isnt even revving hard.

As i said if it were me i would be looking at the 2X4 and just drive all of them and judge for your self and have the hubby check over it as im sure he will.

Last edited:
I'm buying a navara d40 this weekend but I have afew options to choose from, I was hoping to get the opinion of some d40 owners as to which ute is the best deal. Im not going off road with it - family car :rock:

Option 1 - Dealer

2006 STX for $ 13850
194,719kms
manual
petrol v6
ironman suspension
8 months rego

Option 2 - private

2005 STX for $15500
165000kms
6 speed manual
petrol v6
2 months rego

Option 3 - Private

2007 STX for $13000
200,000kms
auto
petrol v6
2 months rego

Option 4 - Private

2005 STX for $14500
218,000kms
auto
diesel
8 months rego
CHIPIT diesel chip with EGT
3" lift kit

I would prefer petrol because they are a lot cheaper to fix. My partner is a mechanic so that's a bonus but we have never owned d40 and not sure what is the best deal. I would like one that's reasonable on fuel if possible :blasign:

So if anyone can help me out that be great.
Thats all good , but i hope your partner also has shares in an oil company , as you will need it with an average 450 k per tank , and the fallacy of D-40 petrols being cheap to fix is just that , one with a buggered engine will cost as much as a diesel to rebuild , it would be cheaper to put a small block chev in it

seriously have a look at some diesels and have them checked over , that one you have on here with 218 ks looks ok , and thats nothing for a diesel , 200 ks on a petrol and your looking at well and truly way over half life

Last edited:
the one thing i can tell you , if you buy a 4x4 petrol engined nav / triton / toyota etc etc , YOU WILL REGRET IT ohh and * laugh , famous last words ( iam not going to go off road with it ) , the bug will bite

Last edited:
I totally agree about the kms.

are all d40's heavy on petrol/diesel?

Is the auto in the petrol d40 good or bad because if the option 3 was a manual I would buy it hands down no questions asked but because its auto im not to sure, is there any reason I shouldn't buy an auto

Hi Kerrie with the higher kms the auto won't have any major problems providing it has been serviced your more likely to encounter drama's with clutches in a manual that can run into four figures. Also do a search on dpf filters in the auto d40 that is a point to consider good luck with your choice plenty of info here you can use.

I totally agree about the kms.

are all d40's heavy on petrol/diesel?

Is the auto in the petrol d40 good or bad because if the option 3 was a manual I would buy it hands down no questions asked but because its auto im not to sure, is there any reason I shouldn't buy an auto

petrol yes , diesel no

Chipped auto diesel would be pretty nice to drive, and the pic of the bunch imo, but you would want to see, drive and check the history on all of them before you make a decision. And yes the diesel will be cheaper on fuel.

Option 2 so long as they can demonstrate a service history but that really goes for all of them.

As for the petrol, diesel choice, if your not doing a lot of K's a year, petrol is viable and no scary CRD injection pumps to go wrong, especially since the K's are up there on some of them.

As Nathan mentioned a 4x2 model would be worth considering to. If you can find one.

I'd be nervous with the one with the chip. Despite having a good output for a diesel it still wasn't enough for them.

Welcome to the forum.

You might choose any of those. Petrol engines tend to be a little 'tired' after 200,000km although my Commodore (which I did look after very well) was still strong when I traded it on my (new) D40 diesel auto in 2009.

I am very happy with my choice. I bought mine because I wanted something to haul a fifth wheeler on the highway with an occasional sojourn into the forest which made having a 4WD beneficial as I had been stuck on the grass in the rain - the ground was ALMOST level but soggy and the Commodore had zero traction.

Of course once we bought the Navara we tried being a tiny bit adventurous and thoroughly enjoyed the additional freedom. We discarded the idea of the fifth wheeler because of articulation issues with our new-found adventuring - something in us that we had never discovered and as we approach our retirement it's something we were quite surprised to find, but having found it we're enjoying every minute, every waterfall, every stunning valley view, every quiet moment in a peaceful forest.

Ours is a diesel. It has the scary $4,000 fuel pump but 113,000km and it's not given us a moment's issue. I am a reasonably gentle driver, but that won't make a difference when crap gets in the fuel which is where more trouble starts. Add injectors + fuel rail and the price tag for JUST those components has been stated as somewhere around the $8K-$9K mark.

The diesel engines have also had scares with the timing chains. They aren't as strong as they ought to be, yd25.com.au sells a much-improved replacement item but fitting is a little time consuming - having a auto-handy family member saves there.

Petrol runs a cheap pump, can tolerate a little muck/water in the fuel, but you can't submerge the vehicle. Fuel usage is greater - up to 50% more. We've got guys in the forum with diesels of that vintage getting 10-11LPHK on a highway, and the petrols doing 15-16LPHK.

From a running-cost viewpoint doing a bit of highway travelling, 1,000km in the diesel will cost you ($1.50*10*1000/100) = $150. The petrol will cost $1.40*15*1000/100 = $210.

Putting that in perspective: driving from Sydney to Perth and back (8,000km) costs $1,680 in petrol or $1,200 in the diesel. An "average" yearly driving of 20,000km costs $4,200 in petrol or $3,000 in diesel. Over the life of my vehicle that's a difference of $23,730 in petrol or $16,950 in diesel. I've saved around $6,000 by buying a diesel.

It will take time to recover the cost of the pump/rail/injectors so if you look at the fuel pump/rail/injector issue and decide the risk isn't worth it, grab the petrol. Personally I'm not that concerned by it, if I was really bothered I'd fit a water trap and a second filter.

As for brands - ANY common rail diesel is like that, from any manufacturer. It's simply expensive technology. Navaras from that era stand out from the competitors in power and cabin appointments.

Suspension in both is an issue, so if that's been upgraded from stock it's one less thing to worry about.

The one other difference is noise. The petrol is quiet at cruise but you'll always know the diesel is running. On the highway the diesel is not bad, but there have been occasions when we've been desperate enough to try McDonalds and I've had to shut down the engine so I can hear the kids voice from the shitty little speakers.

The big question - which one would I choose if I could do it all again? Diesel. Every time.

Back