How strong are the factory recovery poins on the navara str?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hay guys,
I was looking at the recovery poins on the front of my navara str today and it got me wondering about how strong they actually are? Do you guys still have the factory points or have u somehow up graded them? I dont have enough money to get a steel bull bar (wish i did ) but if there was something I could do to make them 'stronger' then i might consider it.

I made these using the factory supplied threaded holes facing up and an extra grade 8.8 bolt running horizontaly. I dont think the aftermarket things you can buy that rely on the two running vertically are strong enough.

The piece the bolts go through is 10x75 angle with a bit of notching and the main hole bit I think is 16 or 20mm plate from memory.

Attachments

• 15122010129.jpg
    15122010129.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 16122010130.jpg
    16122010130.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 212
I made these for my nav, very similar to charlie strayarcs recovery point just i used a recoveryhook instead of an eyelet

IMG_9216.jpg

cool. just checked it out, I will definately do this, just gotta find some time (and motivation lol)
i'll put a pic up when i do tho

James

There are no factory recovery points only tie down points for shipping.

There are no factory recovery points only tie down points for shipping.
Correct. Even the holes on the arb bullbar are not rated for snatch recoveries (wouldn't trust 'em anyways)

I have just come back from the Cape where while winching a Camper trailer out of Mistake Creek, broke 1 of the captive nuts out of the chassis and stripped the other nut. If you have a look at where the front captive nut is located, Nissan havn't bothered to weld the front piece of the chassis properly. The metal holding the captive nut is only welded/connected on 3 sides of the square. Essentially when I was winching on an angle, putting all the load through 1 chassis rail, I have peeled the captive nut, with part of the chassis, back. Essentially, it's like a can of sardines but only connect on 3 sides.

I can see why they have done it. Because there is a flat spacer plate they have decided that instead for welding it up and grinding it down smooth, to just leave it unconnected, that way they dont have to grind it back.

The recovery hooks I have installed (with strengthing plates) are actually stronger than what the chassis can support when winching. Probably not the best pplace for the weakest link but at least the hooks should be right for a decent snatch recovery.

10mm thick angle is what i used for mine and from memory im pretty sure tommy222220 0 used 10mm aswell,

Back