Hot front hubs?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fzrr

Reaction score
How hot is normal for you front hubs to get driving around unlocked?

A bit of back story. I've been overseas the last 2 years and my D22 has been sitting in the garage with a battery charger on it and was driven once or twice a month for a total of 2000km while I was away.

I just put the 32 inch steelies with MTZ's back on yesterday and drove down the road to autobarn to get some sump washers to do an oil change and when I got back noticed the hubs were super hot and you couldn't touch them. I've never noticed them to get that hot before I left especially not being able to touch the switch to lock them.

Does the grease in them dry out and do I need to repack them or something??

Fzrr,
I would be checking your wheel-bearings,sounds to me like they need repacking

⚠️Cheers Geoff Go the V-6's⚠️

Ok downloading the service manual now. So they're something that can dry out over time? The ute is a 2010 with only 22k on the clock.

nah, they shouldnt get that hot that you cant touch them. not unless youve been braking like youve been driving around bathurst. yep, time to pull em apart and repack em.

Just remember not to tighten the hub too much or pack too much grease in them. Or you will have the same result or worse.

I still cant understand how that could happen. As you say the car was driven every month or so. That should be enough to keep the grease moving

I still cant understand how that could happen. As you say the car was driven every month or so. That should be enough to keep the grease moving
Depends... they are supposed to be done every 40k or 2 years I think..? Depends on the quality of the grease used from the factory too, cause at 22k they'd never have been done...

Depends... they are supposed to be done every 40k or 2 years I think..? Depends on the quality of the grease used from the factory too, cause at 22k they'd never have been done...

Whilst its part of a service schedule and they should be done. Im more talking along the lines of it still getting some use to keep the grease moving.my boat trailer hadn't moved for 51 weeks. Did a 50km round trip it was fine a week later towed it 250 to the river. And all good.

Yeah... but it depends on the quality of the grease... and how hot the temperature has been where its been sitting....
Remember, you're talking about a company that put non lsd oil in lsd diffs.....
From the factory....

Last edited:
Yeah... but it depends on the quality of the grease... and how hot the temperature has been where its been sitting....
Remeber, you're talking about a company that put non lsd oil in lsd diffs.....
From the factory....

True. Only a smear of grease at build time. Saves them money

Whilst its part of a service schedule and they should be done. Im more talking along the lines of it still getting some use to keep the grease moving.my boat trailer hadn't moved for 51 weeks. Did a 50km round trip it was fine a week later towed it 250 to the river. And all good.

Is the grease still fully moving if the hubs aren't locked though? I remember when I bought it they said to drive the first 500km with the front hubs locked so that the grease works its way around.

So I just rang a mechanic down the road and was told its not a normal cone bearing you can pull out and regrease and they'd have to replace the whole assembly according to their computer. Is the 2010 D22 STR setup different to what the 2008 service manual is showing me? Or are they thinking I have a D40 or something?

Latest posts

Back