got to use my new winch...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kesegic29

Reaction score
hey guys...
after a few weekend trips and day trips with no recovery gear or winch and just carring a shovel around just incase... i decided to purchase a winch, i got a tigerz11 10000lb rope winch and finished installing it last sunday morning 22nd ... then went around my mates place to show my new toy off...

we decided to head up to the old narre warren tip (in Vic SE suburbs) witch people have turned into a little miniture 4wd park, just consists of a dozen or so 300m mud runs and some little 5m high ledge/hill kinda things and a hand full of bog holes pretty good to kill a few hours at especially when it rains or just after...

my mates both have patrols and haven't really seen my nav at work, i got the usual 'my patrol is better because, bullshit.' but the nav showed them, getting up a few hills they couldn't and the excuses rolled out pretty fast after that, funny when they have to go the long way around...

well any way, in between all that we rolled up to these two bog holes about 10m long next two each other and got out and did the stick test on both... one was rutted abit but only 400mm deep and the other felt like it wasn't rutted out but was at least 900mm to a metre deep... so me being lucky first this time, went through the little one no worries bit of a slide out one end.. then lined my self up for the next one and watched the other boys go through... with the bit confidence i built up from the other little runs and bog holes i went for it... water over the hood, bounced abit, made it to the center and stopped, couldn't move... found out my snorkel is water tight tho, so I'm stuck in this hole couldn't open the door got the patrol boys laughing at me and my single cab nav filling with water... by the time they hooked the snatch on, the water was up to the base of the gear shifter... now the supposedly almighty patrol couldn't snatch me out back wards...

So i got to use my winch the day i installed it pretty lucky i think... pulled me out no worries was quiet impressed but got abit nervice when the water was getting deeper... once i was out the almighty patrols wouldn't even have a bar of the hole even tho one of them had front lockers and 35's on...

any way my lesson for the day was always have revovery gear and my mates are all talk about there patrols...

It's always amusing to see that happen - it's a reason why I don't like playing the "my whatever is better than your whatever" game.

The Patrols have their place. The shorter wheelbase gives them a better ramp-over, but they move around more when they tow and they have less leverage holding the front down when going up a really steep incline. Otherwise, they're a strong unit that some of the Navara owners from here have moved to.

Personally I prefer my Navara. I do more towing than heavy off-roading, so I appreciate the rock-steady cruise of the D40 (which is a longer and wider wheelbase than even the D22). But if I didn't have to tow, or cart chicken manure around now and again, I'd get a Patrol.

I suppose I could get scuba gear.

haha nice! I might have to go and look for this place you speak of, sounds fun!

I much prefer the look of a Nav over a Patrol... something about that dual cab ute rather than a regular fourbie...

Would love to see some pics. Sounds like a great day out besides the water in the nav. Now you get to pull your carpet up and dry it out

yeah i ended up going to the car wash straight after and gurnied all the mud off from under the ute then went home took the bench seat out took the lining and under lay out... hosed the cab out, dried it with a towel and ran an extension lead from the garage and hooked it up to a fan and let it run all night to dry it out...
then had to get up early Monday morning to put the seat back in before work... i still have to put the vinyl underlay in before my next 4x4 trip this weekend...

here is some pics:
nokiaDaniel256.jpg

nokiaDaniel255.jpg

nokiaDaniel251.jpg

nokiaDaniel250.jpg

Nice pics mate. Not sure you should be using that little chrome ball as a recovery point though.. Ive heard some nasty stories about these things letting go.

Man, that looks like some sweet light fun. I'll have to get down there one day!

Nice pics mate. Not sure you should be using that little chrome ball as a recovery point though.. Ive heard some nasty stories about these things letting go.

Don't want to harp on about it but you could have taken the hitch out and put the hitch pin through the loop of the strap.
Alot safer than using the ball.

i know, i know, i know, but we were in a rush to get it out and everything was under water couldn't see anything... i stocked up on most recovery gear today and a tow bar hitch was one of them... just lucky didn't slip off and cause harm i guess...

i've only been to this place twice and I'm pretty sure your not meant to be in there but no one can really see you up there, so for those of you that want to know where it is, it's behind kurll park look in google maps...

just lucky didn't slip off and cause harm i guess...

The issue isn't the snatch strap or tow cable 'slipping off', the issue is the tow ball breaking at the narrow point of the ball and the ball flying backwards at speeds well and truly more than fast enough to kill people even through a windscreen.

The issue isn't the snatch strap or tow cable 'slipping off', the issue is the tow ball breaking at the narrow point of the ball and the ball flying backwards at speeds well and truly more than fast enough to kill people even through a windscreen.

I agree, there was a lady killed last year i think in WA from that exact thing, came through the window and hit her in the head.

Oh you know I'm looking at the towball with the strap around it and you KNOW what I'm about to type, so let's just assume that you've read it already and you're getting a hitch receiver shackle. And at $32, it's a lot less expensive than the flowers you'd be buying for the funeral of the person that wore your tow ball as a forehead ornament.

Latest posts

Back