Gauges???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgermasi

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'd like to install some gauges in my NAV but I still have a few questions about them and I hope you can help me to solve them.

I really really really like the Autron gauges (expensive though) triple function and I was planning to check the following:
1)- Boost - EGT - Water Temp
2)- Oil Press - Oil Temp - Trans Temp

Questions:
- Once I monitor all of those parameters what can I actually do in the bush when they tell me that something is not right?
- The most obvious is the water temp: if too high back off the throttle or stop and let the vehicle cool down, but what about the others? Can anyone help me to understand what to do?
- Or should I be monitoring more important stuff?
As I said Autron is asking a bit of money for these special gauges I just want to be sure that they are the right product for me and I know how to use them.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts
Maximus

Well I can say for a fact that an oil pressure gauge saved my engine a few yeas ago in another car. As I was driving I noticed in my peripheral vision my oil press gauge dropped to zero instantly and I immediately shut off the engine, clutched the car and rolled to the side of the road. Turns out that the fitting to the motor let go and I lost oil through the gauge fitting dropping the oil press.

Hi Guys
I'd like to install some gauges in my NAV but I still have a few questions about them and I hope you can help me to solve them.

I really really really like the Autron gauges (expensive though) triple function and I was planning to check the following:
1)- Boost - EGT - Water Temp
2)- Oil Press - Oil Temp - Trans Temp

Questions:
- Once I monitor all of those parameters what can I actually do in the bush when they tell me that something is not right?
- The most obvious is the water temp: if too high back off the throttle or stop and let the vehicle cool down, but what about the others? Can anyone help me to understand what to do?
- Or should I be monitoring more important stuff?
As I said Autron is asking a bit of money for these special gauges I just want to be sure that they are the right product for me and I know how to use them.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts
Maximus

Mate the way I see it the gauge gives you a place to start to look for the potential problem. If your Nav is mechanically sound then things like water temp, boost, oil pressure etc should stay within their specific ranges. But if your into extreme offroading I would try to monitor what the standard gauges can't. So I think the major ones would be.

Boost. (Just incase the waste gate jams with mud etc or you plan to increase boost)

Pyro. (If you plan to tow or drive in sand or do performance mods.etc).

Inlet manifold temp. (To measure intercooler efficiency)

The D22 has oil level sensor in the sump and a warning light. So not really necessary unless you can't trust the standard gauge/sensors like in a GQ patrol. You could also fit a scan gauge to monitor all the factory sensors anyway.
The problem with adding more gauges is finding the places to fit the senders. I am going through the motions now myself fitting and working out what is worth monitoring and I have gone with.

Boost. (Because I plan to increase pressure)
Pyro. (Because I tow and plan to chip the engine)
Inlet temp. (Because I plan to fit a water/air cooler)
Pre intercooler temp. (So I can see how well the intercooler is working)
Scan gauge. (To monitor everything else).

I am sure other members will have their preferences and post what they are doing

Hope this helps in some way. Cheers.

Last edited:
have you thought about fitting a scangauge ?
or a torque app that reads ems
i have the torque app running on a samsung galaxy tab (and htc smartphone)
it shows all the ems sensors
backed up with a pyro and boost gauge on pillar pod

I decided to go with the Autron gauges, ouch$$$$!

Egt - Boost - Temp (I will have a DPDT switch to select 2 thermocouples: Engine Oil - Trans Oil)
Oil Pressure - Temp (I will have a TPTT switch to select 3 thermocouples: Fridge - Canopy - Winch)

Both Mounted on the Gauge pod that Gibson_racing did for me (check it out here http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=14363&page=2)

Thanks you for your help guys
Cheers Max

Well I can say for a fact that an oil pressure gauge saved my engine a few yeas ago in another car. As I was driving I noticed in my peripheral vision my oil press gauge dropped to zero instantly and I immediately shut off the engine, clutched the car and rolled to the side of the road. Turns out that the fitting to the motor let go and I lost oil through the gauge fitting dropping the oil press.

:rofl2: Oh dear, a solution waiting for (causing) a problem.

I have BOOST / PYRO and VOLTS - on a truck that relies so heavily on electronic components, I thought it a safe guard to montor the volts!!! that and I have a decent sized stereo in mine

Back