Garage Mis-hap's or modding mis-hap's.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that dial before you dig thing years ago for my place and after 4 weeks waiting I got a bit of paper in the mail with a block and no services...glad it was a free service would hate to pay for something so informative.

The electrician who repaired my underground cable told me there should be a map in the meter box with a layout of the cable but there isnt, 30 year old house bit hard to get it now

I haven't even got one of those on a 10 year old house. I do have some idea where the services come in because I have photos of the house under construction but there's definitely nothing in the meter box.

l was pulling an old 202 out of a Torana years ago,nearly had it out when the tripod fell over.Pinning my head between the sump and the battery.Ouch. had a black eye and swelling for a couple of weeks. lol

l was pulling an old 202 out of a Torana years ago,nearly had it out when the tripod fell over.Pinning my head between the sump and the battery.Ouch. had a black eye and swelling for a couple of weeks. lol

These things are funny now,

I haven't even got one of those on a 10 year old house. I do have some idea where the services come in because I have photos of the house under construction but there's definitely nothing in the meter box.

One of the local councils a few weeks back, found out what it costs not to dial before you dig. Took a Telstra fibre with a starpicket.

Shit, that must have hurt.

I used locate the gas and water between the kerb and channel and the property boundary when I was over seeing foot path and road reconstructions for the council. All it was was a simple paint line marked with W or G and was suppose to give the guys digging a guide to where the services were. I was forever being blamed for marking them in the wrong spot when the idiots hit pipes, but because they used to remove all the marks to cover up their stuffs ups council eventually made them responsible for the damage and they stopped hitting the damn pipes.

I have seen electrical cables ripped up by a excavator.

Thank God it didn't break the insulation.

We were lucky enough to have to fix the mess the earthmoving made.

Oh and they damaged a fibre on the Military base.

I am doing renos on the house and purchased a Titan shed that I decided to erect with the help of my dad. Anyway we got to the stage of installing the 2 roller doors, lifted them up into place and then came time to tension the spring. Well we only had 1 pair of stillsons... so I gave those to my dad who was hanging to to one end of the axle for grim death and I was holding a pair of vice grips. We were slowing rotating the axle for the right tension with only a quarter turn at a time and just before we finished with the sweat build up on my hands the vice grips flew out of my hands, rotated three quarters of a turn missing my forwhead by you know what and slaming into th eroof of the shed.
Now every time I, sitting on the deck enjoying a few cold beers of an afternoon, I see the lump in the roof of the shed and realise just how lucky I am.
No compromise for a set of gloves and the right tools eh !!!!:cheers!:

Ahah that classic. No mishaps yet for me, but I'm gonna take the gloves and right tool bit as I will be erectibg my own shed hopefully soonish. When we finally get a house :S

^ Pay someone.

I helped my brother do his about a year ago.

We agreed we wouldn't do one again.

I have seen electrical cables ripped up by a excavator.

Thank God it didn't break the insulation.

We were lucky enough to have to fix the mess the earthmoving made.

Oh and they damaged a fibre on the Military base.

Saw some bloke locating services at a Tafe for construction, the next day an excavator with Auger hit Storm water, Water main & Mains to the adjacent building, all in one hole.
Repairing the mains was the easy bit, the Auger had bound them up and ripped them out through the switchboard they were connected to, destroying it in the process

About five years ago i was doing a bit of landscaping on my section. For the earthworks i hired a mid size excavator, a couple of tons i guess. Once i was finished with the digging i reversed the work van with the trailer up the drive to load the digger. Its on a mild slope. For some reason i was feeling a bit dim that day and neglected to place chocks behind the wheels. The van was in gear with the handbrake on but i had forgot to un do the reversing stopper for te trailer brakes. Driving the digger up onto th trailer the trailer tipped up and lifted up the rear wheels of the van clean off the road. Now there was nothing to stop the whole show taking off down the road. Which it did at an alarming rate. I did try to hit reverse on the digger but it stalled. I got the shits an leaped off it straight into a signpost. That hurt quie a lot but the van, trailer and digger flew down the road and vered off to the right and jacknifed into the ditch. It ripped the towbar clean off the van. Thank goodness that was the only damage. Now i am paranoid about chocking the wheels! Got to use my 4by of the time to get the gear out of the ditch though.

About five years ago i was doing a bit of landscaping on my section. For the earthworks i hired a mid size excavator, a couple of tons i guess. Once i was finished with the digging i reversed the work van with the trailer up the drive to load the digger. Its on a mild slope. For some reason i was feeling a bit dim that day and neglected to place chocks behind the wheels. The van was in gear with the handbrake on but i had forgot to un do the reversing stopper for te trailer brakes. Driving the digger up onto th trailer the trailer tipped up and lifted up the rear wheels of the van clean off the road. Now there was nothing to stop the whole show taking off down the road. Which it did at an alarming rate. I did try to hit reverse on the digger but it stalled. I got the shits an leaped off it straight into a signpost. That hurt quie a lot but the van, trailer and digger flew down the road and vered off to the right and jacknifed into the ditch. It ripped the towbar clean off the van. Thank goodness that was the only damage. Now i am paranoid about chocking the wheels! Got to use my 4by of the time to get the gear out of the ditch though.

wow!! thats like one of those insurance adds you see on the box
lucky no one was crushed hey.
sorry but would of been kind of funny when you jumped into the sign lol

Yea it was funny in retrospect but really stupid. Just reminded me how easy it is to be a total idiot! Neighbour came running out to see what the big bang was and asked how i managed to drive it into the ditch. Had to explian noone was driving...! Scary thing is if it had gone any further it would have gone straight across a main road over a bank and into a house. So lucky. Would have been a real nasty situation.

Cleaning up the crossmembers and chassis with a wire brush attachment for my grinder in the aim to remove old paint and rust and repaint with some rustguard pressure pack. Long story short as I was wire brushing one of the crossmembers the grinder kicked and I lost my grip on it, it jumped out of my hands and then proceeded to rip my shirt off me, shirt got wound up in the grinder and effectively stopped it for long enough for me to turn the power off, only slight grazing to chest so I was relieved, I however had a new fear of the grinder, was a little more careful upon resuming work.

Oh and I have also had the grinder on once at the hand switch and then proceeded to plug it in and have the grinder fly around the garage in circles for a couple of seconds before I turned it off at the power point again, haha.

Doing the rear brakes on my vintage camper last year. The drum was very reluctant to come off so gave it a good jimmy with the crow bar. POP and off it came and droped straight onto my steel cap safety jandel... Ouch

Gettinto my stride now!
Some years ago a mate had a landcruiser with which he liked to go hunting and off road. It was also his daily driver. One trip the selector lever for four wheel drive jammed and would not allow selection of either 2 or 4wd. It would just grind gears. After alot of reading of the service manual and investigating we determined the selector mech in the transfer box must have failed or jammed. After towing it all the way to my place (garage and tools) we set about pulling out the transfer box. After a mission we had it on the bench and stripped it down. Perfect! Damn it. Spent another few hours getting it back in the truck. Took it for a test drive and got all of 100 meters before it did it again. Transfer lever jammed and felt like it was hitting a solid metal stop. Pulled the box out again and opend it up thinking we must have missed something. Still perfect. Getting really pissed now. Put it all back in and just as i was doing the last bolt i noticed the small stone jammed in the transfer lever bracket.....
OH FOR FCUKS SAKE!!!!!!

I have two stories one serious the other just plain wrong. So replacing the brake pads on the old Honda Prelude. Decided I did not need to use the jack stands as it would only take me few moments to get the tire off and replace the pads. Removed tire from car jack slips rotor pan lands on my ankle and traps me under the front passenger side wheel . The only thing that save me from losing my foot was a pair of Airwalk sandals I was wearing at the time prevented the rotor from dropping all the way to the ground and chopping my foot off (got the scars to prove that). Luckily the mobile was close by and my mate could come and get the car off my foot and get me to the hospital. To this day if I have to do anything with a car up off the ground you can be sure that jack stands are involved.

Story 2:
When I was in the Navy we had been out to sea for 3 weeks and were pulling in to Philippines the next day when this happened. We had a guy who is responsible for the maintenance on the CO2 fire extinguishers on the ship. He and others routinely used an extinguisher a a quick way cool down drinks. On these fire extinguishers there is a large horn attached via a rubber hose and brass fitting. He pointed the horn at the coke can and the brass fitting separated from the hose and hit him right in the nuts! One of my mates was the ships corpsman (medic). He said they had to bounce him up and down get one of his testicles to go back in his scrotum. Not only was he in bed for over a week while the ship was in the one of the best partying spots but was placed on restriction for 45 days for inappropriate use of a fire extinguisher.

When I was younger my first car was a Datsun/Nissan Bluebird, one day I was given a fully sick set of mags with fitted shoes.
I put them on and in my excitement to test them out I went for a drive around the pine tree forest ( lots of pine forestry up there ) on the way back I came from dirt road on to bitumen, the car felt a little funny and unsteady, so I slowed down and swerved lightly left and right trying to pinpoint what was wrong, then BANG!! Rear right wheel dropped off the car. I had not done the wheel nuts up once I lowered the jack, so I spent an hour walking back up the road looking for wheel nuts. I found 2 which was enough to get me home. Been paranoid about it ever since.
Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back