Garage Mis-hap's or modding mis-hap's.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mate of mine saw the aftermath of an Oxy bottle explode when the apprentice welded a lump of steel bar to it so he had somewhere to hang the hoses. The guy was a second year apprentice and couldn't work out why someone hadn't done something so simple before after all it was the oxygen bottle and not the gas. It made the news and WorkSafe had a field day with the company but the guy survived.

I'm not one that should comment on how good an idea is given some of the hair brain ideas we've come up with (and survived) but in this case I believe it was just a case of someone not really knowing and understanding the job he was doing.

There is people who have somehow managed to get through school without learning to read and write properly so it's probably understandable to think that some apprentices are going through their apprenticeships without learning wrong from right or good from bad.

We're very, very lucky to have these guys around, you know.

The ones that kill themselves with stupidity get off easy.

It's idiots like Mr Oxygen Cylinder that you can continue, week after week, to rub it in and whack him over the back of the head and remind him that he really, really should think twice before walking outside in the morning.

The world is grateful that those even dumber have no chance to contribute to the global population and, by doing so, lower the average intelligence level too much.

The last thing we want is aliens coming along and deeming us to be the lesser species and wiping us out so that hamsters can have a decent go.

The last thing we want is aliens coming along and deeming us to be the lesser species and wiping us out so that hamsters can have a decent go.

I think that's a foregone conclusion, all the aliens need to do is read the Darwin awards and they'll assume humans as a species don't deserve to live.

Many years ago working in a Chrysler dealership I witnessed the aftermath of a stupid garage incident, a guy comes to the spare parts counter and wants to buy some handbrake shoes for his 4 ton ( I think) Dodge truck, I noticed the lack of skin on the left side of his head and asked him what happened.
He had been under the truck undoing the tailshaft on his Dodge in his driveway, which had a very slight slope.
After he removed the last tailshaft bolt and the truck started rolling very slowly he realised that the handbrake was on the tailshaft that he was removing........ DOH!
He tried to get out from under the moving truck and got pinned with the rear wheels of the truck on one side of his head, and the concrete driveway on the other.
He says he was stuck there for minutes (probably seemed like it) with the only thing stopping the truck rolling down the driveway being his head! After a while his wife came out to see what he was doing and managed to chock the wheel while a neighbour pushed the truck forward to release his now very sore head. I guess you could say he used his head for some retardation!

We gave him ("Chock" he was affectionately nicknamed) shit about that every time he came in for parts, which was often being the owner of a Dodge!
Hmmm........Might be why he stopped coming in after a while.

Last edited:
We're very, very lucky to have these guys around, you know.

The ones that kill themselves with stupidity get off easy.

It's idiots like Mr Oxygen Cylinder that you can continue, week after week, to rub it in and whack him over the back of the head and remind him that he really, really should think twice before walking outside in the morning.

The world is grateful that those even dumber have no chance to contribute to the global population and, by doing so, lower the average intelligence level too much.

Yeah I agree, isn't it amazing how Nature has its own way of "Fine Tuning" the human race? Doesn't always get it right the first time though!

Twenty years ago I was busy welding the exhaust on my Yamaha 490 and had to hold the pipe at some crazy angles to get a weld, so I was holding it with the open end resting on my (then less substantial) gut.
It didn't occur to me that the tinkling sound coming from inside the pipe was in fact a large blob of red hot weld......... for a few seconds..... until it burned a 10c piece size hole in my shirt and stomach!

Only did that once!

My neighbour's old man did similar with the welder, slag fell into his right boot and melted a hole into his sock and foot so typical bushman, he just took his boots off, took his socks off and changed feet then put his boots back on. The burning to his left foot was no where near as server but because the sock was still slowly smoldering almost naked to the eye when he put it on without thinking and enclosed it in a boot it managed to burn him enough that he stopped pretty quick.

You reckon that would teach the son but no 2 years later son (our neighbour) was crouched over welding in shorts and left himself with a fairly bad case of burning likened to sun burn up the inside of both legs. There wasn't quite snags burning on an open grill that day but he was bloody lucky, if the flare can do that to a pair of legs imagine what it could do to a sausage that doesn't see the sun very often.

Have to ownup to costing a former employer a few grand. We needed to pickle some 304 and 316 stainless machine components prior to season start in a large medical business. The standard procedure is 1% Nitric acid solution made up in a Stainless steel tray using cold tap water. Numbnuts here went right ahead and used the 85 degree C. pure water that was reticulated through the factory. Needless to say there was a mushroom cloud of nasty looking brown smoke rising from the water within moments. I made the first wise decision for that afternoon and vacated the room quick smart. My lungs thank me. Left a nice stain on the ceiling and the nice expensive parts looking rather pitted. Whoops.

There is people who have somehow managed to get through school without learning to read and write properly so it's probably understandable to think that some apprentices are going through their apprenticeships without learning wrong from right or good from bad.

I do not know how well they test apprentices, but old-farts courses(the alternate route to trade quals) were two lots of six multiple choice questions. You would have to be a lsow reader and writer to fill 5mins of the thirty minutes they gave you for the test.

Easy to spot those that couldn't read, they headed straight for the examiner and took the verbal test.

Ok... So I was cleaning the nav today... And I was crouched under the front with the gurney, and I lost my balance and stuck my hand out to catch myself...

And a damn crocodile jumped out and bit me!

Attachments

• image-81057496.jpg
    image-81057496.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 88
There you go. 11 stitches, about 2cm deep. Almost into the pinky finger muscle.

Attachments

• image-2056694500.jpg
    image-2056694500.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back