Fitted a dp chip now she wont start!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brebel

Reaction score
Gday fellow Navaraites, I fear that I have broken my 3L Navara D22 , I was fitting a dp chip to it last night and when it came time to start her up and test.. it blew the engine control fuse #3 thats located in the engine bay at the same time the glow plug dash light wasnt showing when ign turned on, so I decided to undo what I had done, the fuse stopped blowing and the dash lights were working but the engine will not fire!.:sad: any help please??

I better add that the dp chip was bought used from a GU patrol but the instructions were near enough to the same to the Navara.

There was one connection which I thought was odd where you scotch lock a black wire from the injector pump and run another spliced wire to earth. These two into one wires go to the chip plug. I am pretty confident that all other connections were correct aswell. The green light lit up on the chip for a bit then didnt. I hope this isnt going to cost me $$$$ :suicide2:

hey mate i just installed a DP CHIP last week on my 06 3.0lt and have had no dramas.I got it new though. I had to solder 2 wires into the wireing harness that plugs into the ECU and scotch clip 1 wire on the injector pump and earthed as well.Is the chip you have got the same set up as mine ?.If so maybe check you have soldered the wires in the correct positions on the harness. By the way mine goes like a rocket and i have it set on 7.

GU and D22 ZD30 chips use the same part number as the injection pumps are the same from memory.

Good luck mate.

Might be best to get the chip checked out.

Check the EFI and ECU fuses.

I would say you have either wired it up wrong or the instructions are not right between the models.

As the ZD30's run the VP44 pump, its not just a simple plugin as the DP has to control the spill valve which is high voltage.
If you have damaged the spill valve in the process, you will need to pull the pump off to have it fixed.

Also scotch locks are a bit of a no no when it comes to anything ecu/pump related (they should be a no no on anything really)

I had that same problem the other day, the fuse engine control 3 blew, I replaced it with a new fuse and unplugged the chip, turned it down a setting then plugged it back in. I haven't had a problem since. I have a different chip to you though. I shit myself thinking I killed my navara!

I am devastated, they say the injector pump needs an overhaul, cost; $5,000 WTF????

Thats about the cost for a full IP rebuild on the VP44 pumps.
Depending on what needs replacing generally, but if the electronics are fried they cannot be repaired, only replaced.

Thats about the cost for a full IP rebuild on the VP44 pumps.
Depending on what needs replacing generally, but if the electronics are fried they cannot be repaired, only replaced.

I think the electronics are to be replaced, but he said the rest of the pump is excessively worn possibly due to dirty fuel? I only ever ran 'name' diesel, no bio diesel. Is there any way I can reduce the cost?

Sorry mate, it is what it is.

Call around if you like. The first quote I ever got for one I just about fell over to.
I called every shop I could think of (that do VP pumps) and they were all within $100 of each other.

You can extend the life of the pump by changing the fuel filter regularly. For the $30 or so, its worth doing it every 5,000-10,000kms in my opinion.
I know this doesnt help you now, but keep it in mind for the future.

He showed me the disassembled pump and the slight wear marks on the pump piston, I think it doesn't look too bad but he was trying to explain to me that if the pump isnt %100 perfect than the new CPU wont accept it??, the thing is the vehicle was running fine until I must have damaged the CPU so I recon the pump could go straight back on!.
They said a pump over haul will cost $3k but another reputable shop will charge $2,800 or $2.200 if I have a mechanics ticket which I do, so it has been towed to them to fix, and for a second opinion as they might tell me the pump is just fine...

How many km's ?

While the pumps off, if you have the spare cash. Get it rebuilt.

Last thing you want is the pump to shit itself in the middle of no where.

dp chip

hi everyone i have also just picked up a dp chip and it was off a patrol zd30 from my knowlage it is plug and play. i just need a wireing diagram and any tips anyone has it has 4 wires coming off it white, red, green and black.

cheers

Cecdan, if its from a patrol they say the chip needs to be re-programed to suit the Navara. And be careful, I fitted mine using the Patrol instructions and this what has has possibly cost me over $5,000k .

Last edited:
Diesel Chips

I bought a new D40 dual cab in July last year to tow a 24ft c/van which it did pretty well. On the Hume we could tow at 90ks in 6th gear (manual) which is around 2000 rpm. Different road conditions or hills meant changing down to 5th gear & back up repeatedly, as we were going back to Tasmania I bought a chip & fitted it a simple plug in on the d40. It came set on 9 which made a bit of difference but I expected better so I tickled it up two notches. WOW it turned it into a real mean towing beast, it thrives on hills and is a pleasure to drive with the van on the back (3000kg) I need to restrain myself when I'm not towing. I bought it from Diesel power a gentleman to deal with, & no I don't work for him.

My Navara is back home, after towing it from Sydney diesel to Westend diesel to finish off, I took it to westend for a second opinion and it seems Sydney diesel werent shitting me, but they were more expensive, westend got the job done including supply and fit of a Steinbauer chip for the price of just a repair at Syd diesel, the cause of the cpu melt down is still uncertain but I suspect the DP Chip wiring loom was dodgy. I had the DP Chip overhauled/re-programmed and a new loom including new warranty at DP Chip Berrima and I am ebaying the DP atm.
I havent driven it much as yet but am going on a big trip to QLD next week and am looking forward to seeing how it goes with the Steinbauer, but with the short drive I have done already shows an instant improvement with turbo lag and it does feel noticeably stronger, output should now be 132kw and 377nm.

Latest posts

Back