engine whine when decelerating

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adonnan

Reaction score
Hey guys, my 2005 d22 whines when decelerating but NOT when accelerating. It does this in every gear. It has done 265,000kms... just wondering if this is something d22,s do? Any ideas or am i up for a new gearbox?

You could just rebuild it with new bearings. Might be the diff gears to thou.

Welcome to the forum.

As above - could be the diff (most likely the rear, since your front hubs are probably unlocked).

The drive train loading changes when decelerating - instead of the engine driving the gears, it's the wheels. The gear faces that normally have the push now don't, because it's all being pushed from the other way (I don't explain it well, someone else will do a better job I'm sure).

It could be a sign of gear wear. It might also be bearings - they also change loading.

Feel like taking things apart and checking them out?

Thanks guys,

I won't be pulling anything apart but i will give these ideas to my mechanic.

Though today i was reving it in neutral and it was making the same whining noise, which would mean it would be the turbo?

My brother has a d22 as well and whines no where close to as much as mine. Could different turbos/ hoses whine more than others?

I was under the impression it was a gear whine. You can probably exclude the diff now!

In neutral, part of the gearbox is still turning over. This can still make noise, but I'm now thinking about getting you to define "whining" more clearly (and I don't mean "awww, someone ate all the cake!").

Is the whining a shrill, high-pitched screechy sound like fingernails on a blackboard? This could be the turbo spinning down and if it's making that sort of noise, it might be in trouble. Clean the hose connected to its intake, then remove it taking care not to let anything inside. Try wobbling the shaft, give it a spin. It shouldn't wobble much at all and it should feel smooth to turn - a small amount of resistance to get moving, that's the cold oil, but it shouldn't feel rough.

If the whining is a heavy sound that lowers in pitch with vehicle speed then it's probably gears (and I'd suggest the input shaft of the gearbox, or perhaps the clutch).

Next time you're out driving, drop the car in neutral and slow down. What happens? Does the sound die off shortly after the engine revs drop, or as the vehicle slows? If you re-engage the gears while slowing down without using any throttle, does the sound come back?

yes i was doing that today too. When i took it out of gear the noise went away as the revs drop (in about 2 secs). when i re-engaged the gears it came back. Its quiet loud and kind of sounds like i have a blow off valve when i change in the lower gears.

Tony i think you have diagnosed the sound."If the whining is a heavy sound that lowers in pitch with vehicle speed then it's probably gears (and I'd suggest the input shaft of the gearbox, or perhaps the clutch)" A new heavy duty clutch was put in only 20,000 kms ago.

It may be the input shaft like you said.

Just don't drive it with the misses in the car. That should get rid of the wining or put an alcoholic under it. Lol

On a serious note have you changed your oil in it. It looses its viscosity and doesn't work the way it should. Try that first I reckon. It's a cheap diagnosis to start with.

Took the car down to the mechanics yesterday to get the noise looked at and it turns out its a worn drive chain and needs to be replaced immediately to prevent damage to the engine. Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully this helps other people who have the same problem.

Latest posts

Back