EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could scan in the original gasket and make that a TIF or PDF that you could print out to create the template.

Good enough?

Here it is. I printed it at 100% scaling (no adjustment) on a different printer and then placed the original gasket over the printed one, it's a perfect fit.

Enjoy!

Cheers for that. It worked a treat. I ended up blocking the thing off at the intake end. I thought it far easier and in the fading light with thunderstorms overhead it took me all of about 5 minutes to fit and 20 minutes looking for the 12mm socket i knocking into the engine bay. I'm happy it's now done and i'll be testing it over the coming days. On a sad note the engine bay monster has got my 12mm socket :suicide2:

On another note, the gasket i removed was caked in black crap.

For those who are blocking off the EGR at the end of the return pipe as it goes back into the intake manifold....wouldn't this mean the soot would be slowly clogging up the return pipe and would this create any potential of fire/etc?? Wouldn't it be better to block it off at the exhaust end so the soot gets sent straight down the exhaust pipe instead of sending it down the return pipe only to hit the solid metal plate you've installed???

You raise a valid concern. Might be worth our time popping the exhaust manifold end off and blanking that side instead - it's not easy, and on mine I couldn't get to it with the alternator in place (but then, I'm no mechanic).

If it fills with soot and gets some unburnt diesel (both possible) then a flash from the exhaust reaches it it could burn.

Given that it's an open-ended chamber I doubt it would detonate. It might burn rather hotly, if it ignited, but I think the circumstances for it to do this would be extraordinary.

When i have a bit of time i'll make up another plate and blank off the exhaust end. I'm satisfied it'll be fine based on how many people have blanked off the fuel end around the world with out any issues, detonations or fires.

If does blow up i'll post pictures :sarcastic:

For those who are blocking off the EGR at the end of the return pipe as it goes back into the intake manifold....wouldn't this mean the soot would be slowly clogging up the return pipe and would this create any potential of fire/etc?? Wouldn't it be better to block it off at the exhaust end so the soot gets sent straight down the exhaust pipe instead of sending it down the return pipe only to hit the solid metal plate you've installed???

Possibly, you could get a small build up, but it would take a hell of a long time as the gasses are no longer flowing through the pipe carrying the soot. It's impossible to have a fire as there is no oxygen in the exhaust stream.

Last edited:
I just did this mod, used a Stainless "Bore Water in Use" sign from Bunnings, traced the original Gasket & cut out with jigsaw, all in all about half hr, most expensive bit the gasket sealent from Repco.
First drive this morning, I might be kidding myself, but it does seem to have more power right at the bottom end, i.e. pulling out into traffic, not the usual dead spot which will certainly help. Like I said though, might be kidding myself. Will be keen to see if their is any fuel consumption gains but wson't hold my breath.

egr mod/dpf? dpchip

Curious to know if anyone has fitted dp chip and has done egr block as isnt one of the reasons for the chip to change the way the engine management burns diesel/exhaust gas and particulates with the aim of improving power and economy?
My knowledge of this is only what i have read in these threads.(lots of) and from diesel powers brochure.
I have a 2010 st auto(thai built),the flat spot/lag at take off shits me, economy and power are alright but would always like to improve.
Looking at putting chip in after 10000ks, fitting snorkle and upgrading exhaust to improve power and economy would love feedback if doing this will have any effect getting rid of flatspot/lag.
A lot of members state improvements in initial power/spooling up by doing egr block so am now thinking of doing this as well.

The EGR block will cost you nearly nothing except for the sealant. Be sure to ONLY use Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor-Safe gasket cement. Should cost you about $17-$18.

You can probably go to a local stainless steel fabrication shop and ask for a piece of sheet scrap from their bin, they'd be throwing it out anyway. That's what I did, cost me nothing.

As for chips - I'm not sure I'd contemplate DP, or Steinbauer etc. I've spoken to the DP guys at a caravan/camping show and didn't like what the guy told me - apart from the fact that the guy was one of the most arrogant pricks I've ever spoken to, he basically admitted that the only thing the chip does is increase the amount of fuel going into the engine.

Have a good look at ChipIt's solution before you decide. Not only does it increase the fuel rate when needed, it decreases the fuel rate when fuel is not needed and adjusts the turbocharger's vanes to modify boost as needed. No other chip on the market at the moment (that I know of) does this.

Robert from ChipIt is a member here and would be happy to answer your questions. Before you decide, take a look through the advertising section, go visit their site, read up on it, look at what owners of the various chips say about their feelings (in particular if they can back it up with fuel consumption and power figures).

Well i have taken the plunge and blocked the EGR today and yes there is a differance, throttle response and less turbo lag being gained will keep you all posted with the Autos

Fuel Update

Well i have taken the plunge and blocked the EGR today and yes there is a differance, throttle response and less turbo lag being gained will keep you all posted with the Autos
Well a tank later and i am down from 11.2 to 10.2 just alittle better thats with canopy, bullbar, drawers. :rock:

Hey guys newbie here, went to do a mates EGR valve the other day and borrowed another mates old gasket for a template only to find that the intake (EGR side) on both vehicles is different one round one oblong. anyone got anything

I'd just take the guy's gasket out temporarily, draw it up, then cut it out.

Mine was your typical gasket shape. I think I have a PDF of it somewhere here, and think I put it in this thread too, but I'll find it and attach it again.

Attachments

• D40 EGR Gasket.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 244
Thanx oldTony, but what i was wondering is why the egr intakes from the cooling pipe are different from models that are onnly a year apart

Bloody design engineers that want to be interior decorators is why.

Actually, I think having different parts for each model allows them to charge a lot more for the individual parts, and they can justify it by saying that there are increased costs for tooling it up etc etc.

If they'd only left the bloody things the same - a 30mm EGR pipe does NOT have to have a different shaped end every year, Mr Nissan - same for everything else. Changing the outside shape does nothing to the inside and is pointless!

I guess they won't get that message though.

Hey,

so far this week i have done EGR mods on a Ranger, D22, parthfinder and D40.

Everyone has reported better throttle response, great Torque and better fuel Economy.

best way to make a Carton of stubs

I did my EGR last week and found the flat spot was half it used to be taking off.
I then reset my ECU and gave it a bit for a couple days so it did not slip back into highway mode.
Now I have to be careful as it will breakout turning corners in 2nd.
Too bad the LSD is not an LSD.

did mine last night. lag is still there as far as i can feel. maybe a little bit more power through the lag, thats all for now

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has bocked egr on a 2010 series 4 stx. It has done 17000klms. Is it worth doing on such a new vehicle? At times on take off lag is there and at others its like hold on to your seat. It has the new 2.5hp diesel. At the moment I'm getting 10.2l per 100k's. Before i put on the ARB bar was getting 9.6l

Latest posts

Back