EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planned on leaving the hoses on, I just wanted to know what the exchanger is for?
Just curious

its to cool the EGR gasses, which increases their density so they don't have to put so much volume in.
in short it means they can shove more EGR in.

this is a pick of my blocking plate after just one tank of fuel. check out the amount of crud on it that could have been going back through my engine!!

Attachments

• DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 665
hey guys, just saying hi. got a link on another site to come to this thread as i am interested on blanking off my EGR due to what i find is excessive black smoke from the exhaust. i have tried ECU reset and changing air and fuel filters with no success. will let you guys know what happens

hey guys, just saying hi. got a link on another site to come to this thread as i am interested on blanking off my EGR due to what i find is excessive black smoke from the exhaust. i have tried ECU reset and changing air and fuel filters with no success. will let you guys know what happens

I know of some others that have had bad smoke problems and after blocking the EGR it has fixed the problem so I think you'll be pleasantly supprised.

kool JPMC, thanks.

will do it in a couple of weeks when i have a lil time to do the work myself

Hey fella's, looking for a bit of advice.....Planning on making my EGR plate up tonite on nightshift (alli s going well so far, so may have a few spare minutes....) I am going to do the easy side, my question is which side of the plate do u put the gasket? or should I make another or use a bit of master gasket on the other side...

cheers
Matt

Hey fella's, looking for a bit of advice.....Planning on making my EGR plate up tonite on nightshift (alli s going well so far, so may have a few spare minutes....) I am going to do the easy side, my question is which side of the plate do u put the gasket? or should I make another or use a bit of master gasket on the other side...

cheers
Matt

Matt

I inserted my blank where you intend to. I placed plenty of O2 sensor safe sealant on it (both sides) and then 'stuck' it to the inlet manifold then placed the gasket onto that.

Hope that helps.

BH

^ me too. Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor Safe is about $17 or so at Supercheap.

I just put a film about half a mm thick on both sides. For the exhaust side, I don't want soot through the engine bay. For the other side, I don't want the turbo's boost going anywhere except in through the intake valves.

Thanks fella's, all done know. Used a thin piece of ally, some blue goo and shes all done. Got a 3hr drive home after work this morning so I am eager too see how it all goes:cheers!:, also this is my first outing to the mine and back with the beaudesert exhaust and will also post any gains in fuel consumption on the trip...

Ally may not survive a lot of heat - the engine does get warm enough to structurally affect normal aluminium.

I went to a stainless steel place and asked them for a piece of scrap - they obliged, free of charge.

I planned on leaving the hoses on, I just wanted to know what the exchanger is for?
Just curious

* note on the early D40 (05) there is no heat exchanger on the EGR.

Just in case someone is reading this and getting confused when they look at their EGR piping.

Ally may not survive a lot of heat - the engine does get warm enough to structurally affect normal aluminium.

I went to a stainless steel place and asked them for a piece of scrap - they obliged, free of charge.

Aluminium as a basic guide will melt around at around 600C.

I don't think your plate will ever get that hot, but I would recommend using stainless for piece of mind, these engines are too expensive to take the risk.

I did mine with 2mm stainless on the weekend, used permatex ultra copper on either side. Not necesarily noticing more power but overall the engine seems smoother, I'm sure there will be a bit of a fuel consumption reduction and best of all no dirty exhasut fumes will be making their way back throgh my engine!

hmmm good point, i was more worried about any electrolisis...if that is how its spelt....being 2 different metals. Didnt even think about the heat on the alum.....no issues yet as its been 500ks since i did it. Will remove it next week and see if there are any issues with the plate itself. May have to break out the plasma cutter and get a piece of stainless made up at work..

Im sure I read somewhere here some lad used a coke can piece....:sad:.

Well on the drivability front...eh......maybe....maybe a bit better spool up...fuel... well cant really say fo sure as it could be the exhaust i just fitted helping too as i drove it out to the mine without the egr done approx 350ks and done it at work and drove back. The low fuel light came on at 670ks rather that the usual 630ks, though i easily get another 100ks after the light comes on and it only takes 75l. so it must be roughly under the 10l per 100k.

cheers
Matt

Matt, that's 9.74LPHK - not a bad run at all.

I'd not considered electrolysis issues but they could always strike too.

As for the cola can - it would work simply to test it out, but the plastic liner and paint on the tin could get into the motor. Glad I'm not paying for that one.

Well finally got around to taking out the blank of 2mm alum I had made up, after being concerned about the alum being affected by the heat. It had been in there for roughly 1500ks so it had been through quite a few heat cycles. I had a bit of stainless aquired and ready to cut but after examining the alum piece I ended up putting in straight back in. I had even left a bit of plastic from the alum on the exhaust side accidently when i didnt get it all off and that was even still there. I thought well if it has the heat exchanger there it would barely get above 150??? next time i get to work if i remember i will but the infared heat gun on it too see.....So i have no concerns of using alum for this project..Still not completey sold on the benifits ie better fuel consp or turbo spoolin up quick as i had a beau exhaust fitted around the same time, but fromthe crap that was on the alum im glad it has stopped in entering my engine:dancing:

cheers
Matt

I could scan in the original gasket and make that a TIF or PDF that you could print out to create the template.

Good enough?

Here it is. I printed it at 100% scaling (no adjustment) on a different printer and then placed the original gasket over the printed one, it's a perfect fit.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Nissan Navara EGR Gasket.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back