EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the 1000k service done did the mod a few days ago myself. It's worthwhile doing. Can't report on the fuel economy yet. There is less lag, cruises a little cleaner/smoother, much less black smoke and even mid range grunt has improved. One thing I have noticed is there is just the slightest hint of nailing at idle. I could be hearing things tho and it could of been there before.

Since the EGR valve is normally closed at idle anyway, blocking the EGR pipe will have done NOTHING to the characteristics of the engine. It might just be something you hadn't noticed before, but now that you are paying particular attention, you've picked it up. Unblock the EGR and see if the sound goes away would be the best thing to suggest.

If it DOES go away, then your EGR valve is faulty. EGR at idle is not a good thing!

My car blows a shit load of smoke (althought its blue everytime I change gears, seals?) but will do the EGR Valve anyway,

Has anybody got a pic of where it is exactley? I looked at the photos in the first few pages but not really sure what I'm looking at...?

Blue smoke would be oil. Excessive blow-by will make the motor ingest more oil but that would be a sign of worn rings/cylinder bores, which will leave an oily film on the piston's downstroke anyway causing blue smoke regardless. It's sort of like a compounding effect.

It could also come from turbo bearings - not easy to tell between that and PCV return unless you remove the PCV, feed it to a catch can and vent the outlet towards the road. That's what I'd check first, stripping down a turbocharger or just replacing it altogether is miles cheaper than pulling the block off a diesel.

^^it could also be leaking valve stem seals.

No mate blue smoke is not a good sign really. All it does is helps you tell what is wrong in there. A little bit of black smoke is normal for a diesel, but only a little bit, it should never be more then a 2sec burst of smoke.

Last edited:
Since the EGR valve is normally closed at idle anyway, blocking the EGR pipe will have done NOTHING to the characteristics of the engine. It might just be something you hadn't noticed before, but now that you are paying particular attention, you've picked it up. Unblock the EGR and see if the sound goes away would be the best thing to suggest.

If it DOES go away, then your EGR valve is faulty. EGR at idle is not a good thing!
Ok, Thanks. All good not to worried about what I thought could be a nailing sound at idle. Good news is I just done quick round trip form Cairns to Townsville and running like a dream, first trip in the thing and quite impressed. Only 1600Ks on it and returned 10.3L per 100K, not brilliant but that included runing around local at both ends and cruising on a true 103K's + with few WOT overtaking manouvers on the passing lanes. (just to see how she would go:)
I'm sure if I make an effort I could do better than that. So quite happy. In fact go the D40! I'm sure you could travel comfortably all day in these things at 140+ (if legal) and you wern't to worried about fuel consumstion.

Last edited:
^^it could also be leaking valve stem seals.

No mate blue smoke is not a good sign really. All it does is helps you tell what is wrong in there. A little bit of black smoke is normal for a diesel, but only a little bit, it should never be more then a 2sec burst of smoke.

i know blue smoke normally means oil but we're jumping to a conclusion that as soon as you see blue smoke theres something wrong.

are these a wet induction systems on the nav's?

i know blue smoke normally means oil but we're jumping to a conclusion that as soon as you see blue smoke theres something wrong.

are these a wet induction systems on the nav's?
No, they are direct injected.

That is oil burning and there is somthing wrong.
Three most likley places. Rings-blowby, Turbo Charger labrinth seal, valve stem seals.

Black smoke = to rich/unburnt fuel
White smoke = incomplete combustion
Blue smoke = Engine oil burning.

Ok, Thanks. All good not to worried about what I thought could be a nailing sound at idle. Good news is I just done quick round trip form Cairns to Townsville and running like a dream, first trip in the thing and quite impressed. Only 1600Ks on it and returned 10.3L per 100K, not brilliant but that included runing around local at both ends and cruising on a true 103K's + with few WOT overtaking manouvers on the passing lanes. (just to see how she would go:)
I'm sure if I make an effort I could do better than that. So quite happy. In fact go the D40! I'm sure you could travel comfortably all day in these things at 140+ (if legal) and you wern't to worried about fuel consumstion.

We just pulled an amazing 10.6LPHK for our 2009 auto for the drive from Newcastle to Melbourne. 4 adults, a week's worth of clothes for each. 2 days' worth of food and the fridge was packed to the brim. Figure about 2650-2700kg.

The trick was to cruise at 95-97km/h and not bust a nut trying to get there, just let the diesel do the job. Our range with the new tank would have been just over 1400km and with the jerry cans, 2100km between fuel stops. I am not unhappy with these figures!

Your newer vehicle should get even better figures, but the ECU will need a reset to do that - strongly suggested to NOT do that until the 10,000km service when Nissan are supposed to do it anyway.

The highest speed zone I've seen is 130km/h, but we've cruised at that speed with the caravan attached and gotten 17LPHK for the effort.

Did the EGR mod yesterday and noticed a definite change in take off and general acceleration.
2011 DC STX

Gents, I attempted the Egr blanking today but could not budge the pipe on the drivers side as it was as tight as a nuns nasty! Any pointers on how to crack without damaging. Also as being a dumb Leco can any one give any pointers on removing plastic cover in engine bay after removing the 2 top screws. Does it pop off at the rear? Could lift up and see where it was anchored but didn't want to force the issue and damage it. Call me lazy but the passenger side just looked too bloody difficult to entertain.

Gents, I attempted the Egr blanking today but could not budge the pipe on the drivers side as it was as tight as a nuns nasty! Any pointers on how to crack without damaging. Also as being a dumb Leco can any one give any pointers on removing plastic cover in engine bay after removing the 2 top screws. Does it pop off at the rear? Could lift up and see where it was anchored but didn't want to force the issue and damage it. Call me lazy but the passenger side just looked too bloody difficult to entertain.

Engine cover. Undo the two bolts at the front (which you already have) and then use a flat screwdriver to lift the back portion of the cover up by sliding the screwdriver under the rubber base. They will just pop off.

As for not being able to undo it, you will find it harder if you are trying to do it with the cover on and it will be a much more difficult job.

I did mine last week and found that all the bolts on both sides of the engine came undone fairly easily. Maybe use some leverage and just try a little harder :)

From memory it's just a pair of 12mm bolts that ONLY hold in the EGR pipe, and they're mild steel bolts going into alloy.

While it's not essential to remove the black cover for servicing, Klosters seem to take mine off during a service - possibly to inspect the top of the engine, or perhaps so they can wipe up the oil they've spilt as they're refilling the crank. Repeated removal has made mine easier to remove - but as described above, it's just two bolts and pop it off.

Cover comes of as above then it makes it easier to get in there. I just used a breaker bar with ratchet extension. Just keep firm pressure and do it slowly and you will eventually get it. I did mine ages ago with a stainless steel plate i got off jjohn and works a treat.

I blocked my EGR Valve yesterday although I didnt block it on the passenger side, I blocked it pretty much in the middle infront of the radiator (connects into a silver rectangle object) is this still ok? I tryed my hardest and could not get the nuts to crack on the passenger side even with leverage and was scared of breaking a bolt or something.

Havent driven enough to notice fuel economy and smoke difference although noticed a little less lag from the turbo and my snorkel doesnt make a doseing sound anymore haha

Being lazy, I haven't read all 26 pages in this thread and at the risk of angering some, I have a few questions which can hopefully be answered.

If we block the EGR valve off, where does the EG go and does matter?

I read that blocking the EGR off makes the motor run hotter. Is that noticeable on the temp gauge?

Does the increase in temp bring about any problems for the motor?

Is there any noticeable improvement in fuel economy?

Will it help keep the engine cleaner?

What are the downsides to doing it?

I'd like to hear from those that have the mod for some time and what they have noticed over that time.

Thank you all.

The EGR is a means of dampening the combustion so that the actual temperature of combustion doesn't go high enough to create oxides of nitrogen. Blocking the EGR allows the combustion to happen normally. In an unmodified vehicle, the EGR valve is closed at idle and full throttle anyway - at full throttle, temps will be at their highest and the car itself will block the EGR, so there's no difference at the extreme of operation with the EGR blocked or not. This means that there's no visible difference on the temp gauge.

The EGR pipe is simply a tube that comes off the exhaust manifold. If the small amount of exhaust gasses can't flow down that pipe, it just heads down the exhaust pipe and out the back with the rest of the exhaust.

I did notice a small improvement in economy - maybe half a litre per hundred km or so.

The down side - if you get caught the fine's pretty hefty, but the chances of getting caught are very slim.

So if it dampens the combustion, the EG must get into the combustion chamber somehow? I'm guessing not through the injectors?? Does it squeeze in thru an exhaust valve somehow??

Or am I missing the point completely?

Are there any other pro's ??

The EGR dampens the combustion when it passes out of the exhaust manifold, through the EGR tube that passes around the front of the engine, through the EGR valve located on the driver's side of the engine at the front corner and when that valve is open, directly into the intake manifold.

When the engine is idling, at full throttle or the EGR is blocked, the EGR doesn't flow in at all.

Pro's ... less diesel smoke (because of more complete combustion). Slightly more power and/or less economy. Less gunk in the inlet manifold (although the PCV adds some as well). Plus, you can do it for nicks, with a piece of flat 1mm thick scrap stainless, a drill, a hacksaw and a couple of good metal files.

Latest posts

Back