egr block and catch can.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Mc

Reaction score
Hi guys,
just wondering which one you actually ment to block 1 or 2? and how do you install the catch can? is it better to have a breather can or a completely sealed catch can?
thanks
attachment.php

I blocked my egr and installed a catch can...I get quite a bit of oil in it that would otherwise go back into the motor...

Hi guys,
just wondering which one you actually ment to block 1 or 2? and how do you install the catch can? is it better to have a breather can or a completely sealed catch can?
thanks
breather can is probably better but technically illegal for you guys.

you won't need a catch can if you block the egr
no. they are two completely different things.

maybe because mine has a Garrett turbo but i don't get a drop of oil in the can, spoke to Mike Vine about it and he reckon's it all a lot of hype you don't need one if you blockl the egr???

what a crock!
egr has nothing to do with the amount of oil picked up by the blowby.

as far as you not catching any oil, two main factors is engine not being overfilled with oil and poor design catch can.

thanks guys, i think ill just put the can on to be safe, what you i hook it up to? does anyone have photos of their set up? cheers

well thats surprising. the ZD30 puts out a fair bit of oil mist out the breather you normally get something even when its not overfilled.

got a pic of the setup?

Agreed - EGR and PCV are entirely separate systems, although they plumb into the same area.

EGR - designed to dampen combustion in order to reduce the likelihood of dangerous emissions from the exhaust. It's connected to one end of the intake manifold and fills it with black soot.

PCV - combustion gas that sneaks past the piston rings both pressurises the crankcase and superheats the oil, turning some of it to vapour. This leaves the crankcase via a small opening at the top (PCV outlet) and connects to the air intake. This is designed to allow the oil to be combusted by the engine and pass out the exhaust harmlessly, but it has the unfortunate side-effect of gumming up the works in intercoolers and the intake manifold.

The combination of oily vapour meeting powdery soot just makes it worse inside the intake manifold.

You cannot block the PCV without risking your crankcase seals and venting it to atmosphere is illegal and potentially dangerous (you would be spraying oil out under the car). Blocking the EGR doesn't do anything dangerous to the engine.

You might have observed that the gas coming out of the PCV is identical to the gas going in through the EGR valve. What a shame it can't just be vented away!

have a look at pics in my garage,when he blocked the egr he removed the pipe that runs around the back of the engine,no soot build up anywhere either.

maybe because mine has a Garrett turbo but i don't get a drop of oil in the can, spoke to Mike Vine about it and he reckon's it all a lot of hype you don't need one if you blockl the egr???

I get what you're saying here and I agree, without the egr soot mixing in with it, the oil mist from the pcv is harmless, why bother catching and emptying it when it can be burnt off, it is a diesel after all.

I get what you're saying here and I agree, without the egr soot mixing in with it, the oil mist from the pcv is harmless, why bother catching and emptying it when it can be burnt off, it is a diesel after all.
its not harmless.

the oil still mixes with dust (yes air filters always let through fine dust) and makes sludge.
also injecting oil through the intake and burning it is not good for the motor.
it fouls up rings/injector tips and it ignites prematurely which can cause a few issues.
it gets inbetween the intake rubber hoses and makes them loose.

and if some dumb mechanic overfills it, it runs on and can even cause runaway.

Ok I see, all valid points, although out of the two mods I think blocking egr is far more beneficial for the engines long term health, may look into a catch can then since my egr has been blocked for over a year now.

two different systems....do two different jobs

If anything I think less oil in the induction side would be more beneficial. Give the carbon in the exhaust gases less to stick to.

Having said that I have only blocked the EGR so far. Been lazy in installing a catch can. Next on the list. Prolly go the Provent 200.

I have had my EGR blocked for 2 years now, and installed a Catch can recently only to realise it was a total waste of money as it has not a drop of oil in it after around 2000km of running.
I got it back from Mike Vine today, after New Injectors and Dyno Tune.
He reckon the injectors could have got another 100k out of them.
Engine has done 283,000km and still runs like new.
One question he did ask me was why did I put a Catch Can on it when it is not required if the EGR is blocked????

So I guess the debate continues........

Back