egr blanking and egt's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_d_001

Reaction score
Have done many searches (here and internet in general)
but can't seem to find out what the relationship of the above is in the D40 2.5.

some websites say that blanking the egr lowers the egt's. (cleaner burn, cooler gas mixture going in ???)

many say it raises the egt's. (problems with not enough boost when under load, higher actual burn temp etc.)

just wondering if anyone here has any info on this ???
anyone with a egt guage and who has blanked.?

I understand the reasons ppl do this for everyday driving but specifically for extended towing of heavy loads where high egt's can be critical is what is most important to me.

On my d40 ive had a boost gauge and a egt gauge for a while now.i believe the egr blank was the first thing i put in..
Now a d40 definatly runs hot to start with...the only way to help this on a standard engine is to cool the intake temp as much as possible.as the egr valve works only at low revs anyway.id suggest that it makes no diffrence to intake temps at higher revs and while towing.but with the egr blank in mine did spool up quicker and gain low down power.it did nothing to the boost levels once the turbo started to spool and had no effect on the max boost setting.
I also have a engine thats not breathing diesel smoke.
My egts on my dual chipped engine while towing are out of control.(800+ pre turbo if your not watching the gauge)
But i cannot comment on towing with just a standard engine with a egr blank.

camo.b mentions it, EGR is turned off at high loads and high rpm. so it makes no difference to max egt temps which occur at max load.

its a light loads where egr is used heavily and alters the temps but as those temps are well below max temp who cares.

....as the egr valve works only at low revs anyway.id suggest that it makes no diffrence to intake temps at higher revs and while towing......

with my......limited.....knowledge I thought that the egr is only closed at idle and WOT. is this right?....(closed at WOT because emissions tests are not performed at WOT)

if it is ...does this mean that if I am towing at 60%....70%.....99% load the egr is open ?

Could well be right...we need more info here...i read the v9x motor uses egr thru the rev range to alter the o2 readings thus changing fueling up or down.well along those lines

they use egr throughout most of the rpm range but the amount varies greatly. generally more load and more rpm the less egr gets used. lower the amount used the less effect it has.

Latest posts

Back