Diesel Particle Filter break down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HA. What is DRIVER ASSISTED REGEN??? Toothbrush and cleaning fluid on the side of the road?

Krafty they have a bit of a play with words since NO DPF regen requires driver assistance as driving the vehicle without stopping is whats needed.

I want to know where these trucks are that are traveling our highways without drivers in 'em. I am gonna steer way clear of those routes. :big_smile:

I would like to see this come true. Mitsu and Nissan charge $3000 for their replacement DPFs

Thankfully there's a mob up around your way that sells a replacement for around the $550 mark. You might even know the guy.

Also guys I dont mean to hijack this but thought to advice I had a guy named Peter from Cyprus emailed us regarding our DPF Race Pipe. His view is that the pipe has caused the DPF light to appear on the dash and wont go away.

My reply to him is made available here because it may assist others:

Peter, the lighting of the DPF lamp is not the fault of the pipe. It seems that your lamp is coming on either because

A: it was trying to do a regeneration and it never got to finish it. Or
B. there is a problem with your O2 sensor.

As I said (in previous emails), the pipe is simply a tube with the sensors replaced in their ORIGINAL POSITION… it has no other function except keeping the sensors happy

HOWEVER THE SENSORS NEED TO BE 100% OK BEFORE YOU PUT THE RACE PIPE ON.

(TO FIX HIS PROBLEM):

If you replace the original DPF, go to Nissan and get them to fix it under warranty you will see that when the car comes back out of service fixed … whatever the problem is ... the Race Pipe can then be refitted and you will have no more problems.

Trust me, the problem is NOT the pipe … you have another problem there.

Hope this helps and you take my advice.

Let me know how you go.

As I mentioned, I hope this helps others too they they remove their DPFs and fit a straight through pipe.

Cheers

Understood ... and I wasn't having a go at you BTW

The reference to Nissan and Mitsu was that their DPFs are much smaller i would imagine than something that is lasting 500,000 kms

In Nissan and Mitsu the only requirement of the vehicle to have to regen is to drive the vehicle ABOVE 80kms for 20 mins (or so). A truck travelling on a freeway (between cities) would ordinarily achieve this

Driver assisted being without the driver having to slow down and keep the revs up, a method D40's can do under some circumstances, or where the driver has to stop and keep the revs up like required by Toyota's. Anything automatic happens essentially without the driver knowing or having to do anything. Play with the words how you want CAT have done 500,000ks with a DPF fitted vehicle and the driver hasn't been effected by any of the regen cycles.

As for the price coming true, sure we'd all like to see it in Nissan's and Mitus's but there is many factors as to why it wont and as my quoted figures were related to a CAT engine not a toy truck engine it's not really comparative.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any reports from the likes of Nissan or Mitsu suggestion how long the expect their DPF's to actually last, however the trucking industry is a bit more do or die, they have to adhere to emissions laws and do it early. They have to be seen to be making a difference so whether it's through EGR/SCR or DPF technology they are happy to boast about what they are doing to convince the buyers their product is viable.

Not than the mainstream media or anyone outside a few forums is really bagging the use of DPF's in cars and small utes but the large engine makers do know emission controls of any sort are quite often a sore point with some buyers and they are making it their point to try and convince them that even if there is issues in smaller engines the larger engines are going to suffer the same fate.

Whatever they actually come up with is only going to have a flow on effect to the smaller engine market anyway so while prices are now high for smaller engines if DPF's become a huge issue companies like Nissan will be forced to either remove them from all cars old and new or make the solution cheaper or they will loose their customers when such things are forced on them and they will eventually be forced on them unless something radical changes in the way engines are made.

Also guys I dont mean to hijack this but thought to advice I had a guy named Peter from Cyprus emailed us regarding our DPF Race Pipe. His view is that the pipe has caused the DPF light to appear on the dash and wont go away.

My reply to him is made available here because it may assist others:

Peter, the lighting of the DPF lamp is not the fault of the pipe. It seems that your lamp is coming on either because

A: it was trying to do a regeneration and it never got to finish it. Or
B. there is a problem with your O2 sensor.

As I said (in previous emails), the pipe is simply a tube with the sensors replaced in their ORIGINAL POSITION… it has no other function except keeping the sensors happy

HOWEVER THE SENSORS NEED TO BE 100% OK BEFORE YOU PUT THE RACE PIPE ON.

(TO FIX HIS PROBLEM):

If you replace the original DPF, go to Nissan and get them to fix it under warranty you will see that when the car comes back out of service fixed … whatever the problem is ... the Race Pipe can then be refitted and you will have no more problems.

Trust me, the problem is NOT the pipe … you have another problem there.

Hope this helps and you take my advice.

Let me know how you go.

As I mentioned, I hope this helps others too they they remove their DPFs and fit a straight through pipe.

Cheers

Peter 'PMed' me and now I also have another newbie with a similar problem asking me questions via a PM. His issue is his DPF is stuffed and therefore can't complete a burn. The DPF light is of course on and he was intending to fit a Delete Pipe - I told him he got to get the ECU to think all is well first.

yep, could try that.

Bosshog, we have a few of those old dpfs lying around ... ask the newbie to PM me so I can to get one to him.

Cheers

Thanks Bosshog and Chip It for the advice via PM. As I mentioned in my PM the sulphur content in our diesel in the Caribbean namely Barbados is extremely high. My Nav was imported from the UK 46,455 km and the dpf has started to disintegrate as this was seen when we removed it. The rear heat sensor was damaged by the dislodged particles from the dpf. Hence my PM to you about the delete dpf pipe as the code P2002 would not clear and the Nav remains in limp mode.

Mate talk about the DPF been a pain in the ass, I think the best thing you can do is get a DPF sent from Chipit and put it in drive the car around for +100km a ECU reset does not get you out of limp mode when the DPF is involved (trust me I have been through all this) it's not like the other faults, engine lights etc that might throw you into limp mode that you can just ECU reset and your good to go again. The only way to get it out of limp mode with the DPF light on is to drive it until it comes good with the DPF in it will take a while but it will come good eventually it took mine over 100km might be worth getting a couple a temp sensor's if you think they are dodgy sent over with the DPF. Once you have the Nav back to normal remove the DPF and put the delete pipe back in and hopefully you will never have this problem again. It worked for me anyway I could not get it out of limp mode with the delete pipe in I had to put it all back to standard and start again. And what ever you do keep the rest or your exhaust standard CAT especially unless you want days and days of headaches and lots of smoke! Good luck keep us posted ;)

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely get the delete pipe as well but Chip it will not have for the next 2 weeks as per an email I received.

Has anyone fitted a DPF Delete pipe and had there car at Nissan for a service?

I installed a delete pipe and chip at 5000kms, so that means the 10, 20, 30 and 40k services. The boys in the workshop admire my D40 especially as it is so loud.

As for warranty issues - life is full of risks.

I'v had warranty work done on mine with the DPF delete in, even complained about fuel economy and got the injectors replaced under warrenty with it in, didn't make and differance to fuel economy tho. :(

So am I reading right?? You guys that have removed the DPF are not getting dramatically better fuel economy consistent with the manual trans?? And if so, what is causing the differences??

So am I reading right?? You guys that have removed the DPF are not getting dramatically better fuel economy consistent with the manual trans?? And if so, what is causing the differences??

The series 3 auto D40s will never get near the fuel economy that a manual achieves. Back when mine was new and didn't have all the weight it has now the best I ever got was 13.8l/100 (DPF deleted). Its in the 15s now but I have steel everywhere, a long range fuel tank and running a wild chip. Crossing the Simo Desert it used 22.5l/100!

I can understand that with all the steel, but does removing the DPF with a delete pipe actually stop the ECU from doing a "burn"?? And therefore using a heap less fuel??

There is a reduction in fuel consumption because the pressure sensors would be reading equal, which makes the ECU think that there's no restriction in the DPF and therefore no need to conduct a burn.

The ECU still seems to pour juice out though, and that'd be for the CAT - so even non-DPF vehicles will have this fuel consumer as well. If you remove the CAT you'll see the result. That's something I'd like to see removed - perhaps by recoding the ECU, which is something I am starting to actively investigate.

I don't think it has anything to do with the CAT i might but i have removed mine and it still uses the same amount o fuel as it did with the cat in, i think that the DPF model has a richer tune or map it runs to help condition the DPF, in saying that tho you do save fuel by removing the DPF just still don't get the same economy as the manual version because of the map or tune the ECU runs, If we can find a way to remap the ECU we will be laughing i have emailed a mob in the UK RS Tuning who seem to think they can do it I'm going to have a chat to chipit before i send my ECU over there just see if they think it is possible.

The problem with the CAT is that whether it's there or not, every so often the ECU squirts some diesel out in the exhaust stroke to feed it. That's the problem - the ECU is rather blind in this respect, so if you remove the CAT, you need to find a way to remove the squirt as well.

Latest posts

Back