Diesel Particle Filter break down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This forum is littered with people that haven't had any luck getting info or help from Nissan head office, but I'm sure there is also people who have had help. Like all companies Nissan are in it for the money and will prove as hard as they can that they aren't at fault. it sucks but it's the way of the world.

There is also a thread on here somewhere (search is you friend) about removing the DPF if you want to go down that path.

Two choices in my view buy a second hand one from a wrecker for $1k. Or as Krafty recommends remove it completely which is what I would do. Actually past tense - have done.

Don't bother with Nissan as the DPF is part of the exhaust and therefore viewed as a consumable.

Is a DPF really $1K from a wreckers?
I've read that some of the larger trucking companies are only talking $500 change over done by an authorised dealer/mechanic. I know Nissan are expensive but that's ridiculous.

Is a DPF really $1K from a wreckers?
I've read that some of the larger trucking companies are only talking $500 change over done by an authorised dealer/mechanic. I know Nissan are expensive but that's ridiculous.

$999.00 from Niss4x4 wreckers. I enquired myself when researching the info for my post on removing the DPF and Cat.

Bloody hell the Kenworth is looking most cost effective each day.

No wonder the keep saying farKenworthit

If (when) my DPF requires replacement, I will do exactly that - by calling Robert at ChipIt for a DPF Delete pipe.

Hopefully he won't mind if we whack in an extension for the O2 sensor as per Bosshog's highly successful experimentation.

If (when) my DPF requires replacement, I will do exactly that - by calling Robert at ChipIt for a DPF Delete pipe.

Hopefully he won't mind if we whack in an extension for the O2 sensor as per Bosshog's highly successful experimentation.

I understand their delete pipe now comes with the O2 extension piece pre-fitted for autos :smile:

Please don't get me started about Nissan and DPF's. I battled them for months over my DPF issue when the car was 2 months old.

Buy one from Chip-It and replace the thing. They are useless and only need to meet Euro emissions standards.

Save your $$$$ and replace it.

There are members who will say that doing this is illegal and that may be so, but what Copper is going to get down on his hands and knees and check to see if the D40 auto TD has a DPF. I certainly wouldn't so mine will be coming out once the warranty is up.

The other positive is the saving on fuel consumption. The negative is a bit of black soot.

There's an interesting question for you, Gus.

Given the previous post by Merchant mentioning black soot I wonder if you could tell us how much black soot you get? What about if you turn down the chip? Do you get black soot all the time, only when the accelerator is first depressed or does it happen whenever the accelerator is down? What about at low revs if you're not caning it, do you see any?

I wonder if you could tell us how much black soot you get? What about if you turn down the chip? Do you get black soot all the time, only when the accelerator is first depressed or does it happen whenever the accelerator is down? What about at low revs if you're not caning it, do you see any?

Tony, heaps when I had it on the dyno and overfuelling it to hell! :lol:

Seriously though I do get a little only when the accelerator is first depressed. But that is only because of the tune I am running and I stress its bugger all.

I could load a tune which will remove all excess fuel on initial throttle response and therefore no black smoke at all. I just choose not run with that tune as she's a little slow off the lights.

Chip unplugged it blows the tinniest amount of smoke and IMO not worth worrying about.

I am only too happy to undertake some experiments and get some pics if there is some interest. Oh, not unsurprising got a little more black smoke last weekend when the ambient temp was +35.

Good enough for me. DPF will be gone the first opportunity I get. I may not chip the thing, but by God I'll pop that piece of shit out and put it in the round filing cabinet.

IF you want to reduce the soot then block off the EGR which in turn gives a better burn meaning less soot.
The only thing to watch would be EGT's if your running a chip as blocking EGR will increase them and chipping increases them too so may get to hot.

IF you want to reduce the soot then block off the EGR which in turn gives a better burn meaning less soot.
The only thing to watch would be EGT's if your running a chip as blocking EGR will increase them and chipping increases them too so may get to hot.

True. I installed an EGT probe with a high temp alarm that turns off the chip. Done to death, but an aftermarket exhaust is also essential to keep temps down.

Tony it occurred to me in the middle of the night that you won't need the O2 sensor extension piece SO LONG as you leave the factory dump and cat in place.

i doubt it. cat converters don't require conditioning. or clearing.

We discovered (to our dismay) that our CATS use hydrocarbons as a reductant, and it achieves this by squirting diesel during the exhaust stroke, probably just before the valve closes so that there's little chance of igniting it.

We found this out while examining the function of the O2 sensor in the exhaust, wondering what role it played. There's a whole thread on this somewhere, I just can't remember what it's called.

i have my doubts.
most diesel cats i've seen and heard of do not run any sensors or require any clearing etc.
however how well the cat works will influence DPF operation. DPF needs oxygen to do a regen. when you remove cat which them gives a lot more oxygen to the sensor which then allows the ecu to do regen.
so trick the sensor to read that there is not enough oxygen and it won't regen.

i would be interested to see how you work out the cat requires fuel.

We did a lot of investigating in this thread (at about page 5 onwards, where I've linked to). There's a LOT of valuable discussion in there, a learning process that took our understanding of the DPF/CAT operation ahead in leaps and bounds.

There are links in that thread to other sites that discuss CAT technology and the various means to remove NOx from the exhaust stream.

That discussion - and Bosshog's experimentation - resulted in his thread on DPF and Cat Deletion.

Makes for some interesting reading!

Back