D40 Issues Help Needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrluver22

Reaction score
Good day mates, my perfectly working D40 recently was serviced by the dealer, that is the oil,oil filter, fuel filter and water trap was changed. Got it back and everytime I tried to accelerate it would go into limp mode. Or if I had it parked up for about 30 minutes and try starting, the idle would drop and go back up to normal idle speed a few times and then the vehicle would cut off. To start back it would tumble for approximately 7 seconds and then start up.Carried it back to the dealer and they ran a diagnostic and got the fuel relief valve fault code, and when they cleared it they ran the vehicle and got a code on the rail pressure sensor. So the dealer told me that the fuel pump and the fuel rail needs to be changed. Need some advice on this.

As Joe said, it's always a good idea when some big $$ items have popped up just after someone has been working on it.
I would also check that there is no air leak anywhere along and around the lines that run to and from the filter/ water trap, if there is an air leak it can cause similar symptoms.
Also Check the filter it self that it has been tightened up enough and has sealed correctly.

You could do a quick test that may help, and that is once the car is turned off for the time you mentioned try priming the fuel system by using the primer bulb on or under the filter unit, if the bulb/plunger is hard to compress or squeeze after only three or so primes it may not be an issue however if you find that you need to continually pump or squeeze more then that it does point to a possible air leak.

Last edited:
G'day.
Look, for the simple things.

My son has been using my old Hilux lately and started having starter problems. the starter stopped cranking and would only go click, click, click. He had several people look at it and offer advice about replacing the starter motor or solenoid. Then he showed me what was going on. When I went to take a look he said "What is this lead for". It was a heavy lead from the negative terminal, long enough to reach the engine and the Lug had come off. On the engine was a large Lug without a lead.
Fit new lead and now the starter works.

We've seen it over and over again on this forum, a service happens and suddenly there are operational issues.

The very first thing I'd do if it were my car is wait until morning, then try to use the primer bulb. If I can get more than 5-6 squeezes, there's a leak in there, and after a filter change you can bet $ on where it is!

Next step is to pull the fuel filter out, inspect the central O-ring and then reinstall it. Usually solves the problem unless it's an aftermarket filter - none of which seem to work properly - so that's where I'd start.

Could just need a pump learn clear, after having the fuel supply disturbed, i.e fuel filter fitted. try removing the battery terminals for a few minutes

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback mates, tried to start the Nav this morning and no luck, primed the pump with a few squeezes and she kicked back to life. Still got the fluctuations on the rpm while idling , but it didn't cut off. So I'll check the filter/water trap. Again thanks for the advice.

Found the problem, it was the seal on the water trap sensor. Cost $2 and the Nav is up and running.

Make sure you ring the cocks up or go in there. Probably be water off a ducks back but worth a go. Tell them you want some sort of restitution.

Edit:- On second thoughts, forget that, you don't want them anywhere near your truck again.

Yes Joe the "experts" claimed I needed a new pump and rail. Never me again going by those quacks.

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Nissan.

How many motor vehicle technician's are being trained to only look for codes?
Shame for them if they want to venture out to the real world.

All that training has a real value in its place, but not without some common sense. "Start with the simplest possible cause".

Anyhoo, thankfully our forum member possess a good measure.
Glad you got it sorted.

Imagine how many fuel rails are being replaced around the country because someone stuffed up the installation of a seal.

If I was Mr Nissan I'd be sending a rocket out to every dealership to lift their game.

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Nissan.

How many motor vehicle technician's are being trained to only look for codes?
Shame for them if they want to venture out to the real world.

All that training has a real value in its place, but not without some common sense. "Start with the simplest possible cause".

Anyhoo, thankfully our forum member possess a good measure.
Glad you got it sorted.

Spot on! A reciprocating internal combustion engine hasn't really changed and principal for over a 100 years. Can have the same faults today as they did back then but as soon as you take it to average dealer it's let see what fault codes there is and go from there. Lazy really.

Latest posts

Back