D40 hot intercooler pipe recommendation please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normie

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Spanish built 2010 D40 ST-X 6 speed manual diesel 4WD and have noted a split in the hot intercooler pipe. Can anyone recommend the best pipe to replace this with as there seems to be quite a few to choose from?

I don't have a photo of the current one as it's getting a new diff fitted following an incident at the end of May.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back when I was thinking of changing my pipe over I did consider going to a reinforced silicone pipe but I don't know where I'd get one that would fit straight out of the box. Maybe someone knows where they can be obtained? I wouldn't go fully hard pipe on it, it does need to have some flexibility.

This is the current pipe with the split.
IMG_9335.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have a Spanish built 2010 D40 ST-X 6 speed manual diesel 4WD and have noted a split in the hot intercooler pipe. Can anyone recommend the best pipe to replace this with as there seems to be quite a few to choose from?

I don't have a photo of the current one as it's getting a new diff fitted following an incident at the end of May.

Cheers.
Hi All,

I had a leaking intercooler after 200k in my STX-550 V9X motor and also a split cold side pipe while away in South Gippsland. Patched the cold pipe and limped back to home in Melbourne. I had purchased a Plasmaman Intercooler and Hot and Cold pipes (around $1900) to suit but not had time to fit before holiday. Now I had to do it. I also wanted to replace the fan belts, tensioner and idler pulleys and the radiator as well so the oportunity was there to do the whole lot in one job. The STX550 also had a Bull bar fitted. Job took a couple of days. The radiator was the hardest and most awkward to replace and the rest went to gether quite well. Testing the intercooler resulted in a couple of blow offs on the solid hot side pipe but after adjusting position and bolt placements were correct have since settled down without issue. I would recommend the Plasmaman Intercooler as there is a larger diameter cold side pipe just before the engine air intake, this increases the airflow into the motor allowing it to breathe the way it should. The hard hot side pipe provide an unobstructed entry from turbo to intercooler,very different to the original where airflow has some bad restrictions and destabilising components that slow it down. The car now runs very smooth at idle and turbo lag is greatly reduced. The power availbility increase is most notable and driving in any situation is now a pleasure. Have since done 30k without issue and towing a van around Aus just made it all the more worthwhile.
My research came from some real world engineering information from ARE Cooling who did a full diagnosis of the reasons why the Nissan original Intercooler was so poor (many had failed under waranty and after waranty periods) and they didn't deliver the performance capabilities of the V9X motor, instead virtually detuned it. ARE Cooling don't make the intercoolers any longer - just too expensive and time consuming but they did recommend the plasmaman replacement if I could get one as a good quality product - It did take 5 months to arrive from placement of order. It was so worth it. I looked at all of the cheaper replacement aftermarket coolers but they are just copies of the original with no real engineering benefits. You get what you pay for.

Cheers,
Shawn

Latest posts

Back