D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks
18month old 2.5l king cab, vinyl cover, now with 43k km
Seen 9.4l/100 round town (empty) and that is Sydney
Tow a car on a heavy trailer, had it over a weighbridge and all up the combo is 4.5t +-100kg
seen 14/100 but just back from round trip Syd-Melb via boredom central ( the hume) and ran low 16`s with cruise hooked up at 105kph GPS verified

My 2012 STX V6 is averaging 12.1L to the 100kms country driving only short distances each day and on the freeway drops to 10.6L pretty happy with that at least as good as my 07 stx 2.5L but with way more power !

Should start to get a bit better than that. Mine is averaging 10.5 around here (country, mountains, light towing) and drops into the low 9's, high 8's on the highway. Have to drive to Sydney on friday so will be interested to see how it goes.

Like you it is better on fuel than my 06 STX auto and way more power!

Had my new 2012 450 auto for 2 months today and have put just over 7600km on it so far.
Averaging around 9.5 open road and 10.5 around town.

Best result on a 575km trip was 7.9.

As stated above by the others way better than my old 07 that I used to average 11.0 open road which at the time I thought was good.

Last edited:
Had my new 2012 450 auto for 2 months today and have put just over 7600km on it so far.
Averaging around 9.5 open road and 10.5 around town.

Best result on a 575km trip was 7.9.

As stated above by the others way better than my old 07 that I used to average 11.0 open road which at the time I thought was good.

have you got many accessories on your rig?
i must be getting old but i'm starting to wonder if i'd have preferred an auto in the long run, my economy is a bit worse and i've always been a manual man, only auto i've ever owned was a 68 Chev impala!
missus hates auto's too but i had an auto d40 as a loan car in perth and it was very good.

have you got many accessories on your rig?
i must be getting old but i'm starting to wonder if i'd have preferred an auto in the long run, my economy is a bit worse and i've always been a manual man, only auto i've ever owned was a 68 Chev impala!
missus hates auto's too but i had an auto d40 as a loan car in perth and it was very good.

Not really a lot of accessories, I use my ute for work.

Both utes were set up the same running factory 17's and a alloy nudge bar,fog lights, ARB canopy and a home made cargo drawer in the back. I do however have all my tools and bits and bobs I require in the drawer weighing in at around 700kg when fully loaded.

Only other mod's I have is a blocked EGR, a green air filter and CB radio. (old ute runs spring helpers and new one has overload springs.)

Both my 07 and my new 12 are auto's (I choose auto because of the km's I do. average closer to 60k a year.) and I have to say the new auto is so much nicer than the old one although it does still have some down falls.

The auto in the old one has a high stall torque converter from factory and as anybody on here will tell you they tend to slip a fear bit and the lock-up isn't very strong and only happens in 5th.
The new one however feels lower and the lock-up is a lot stronger and happens in all gears.
One down fall for the new one is for some reason when traveling down hill it sometimes wants to drop back a gear when you get to the bottom of the hill and try to accelerate away. ( It may just be me not used to the tranny yet).

Another down point to both is the fact that when in soft stuff (mud, sand, river crossings around 300mm deep) the converters tend to slip a bit so you have to rev harder to get momentum.

Last edited:
After having my 2007 D40 for about 3-4 weeks, finally ran the tank down a bit and pretty suprised with the fuel economy. I was expecting about 12-13l/100km around Sydney traffic.

Most of my driving is 20-30 minute trips with some short ones too.

Averaged 10.4l/100km. Pretty good for a old girl with 200,000kms + on it.

660 - 700kms the light comes on, this gives me 70kms to fill her up.
Normal driving city/country not towing mind you also fitted is a full bull bar.

Added my dual battery set up this week. Seeing between 10-12L nowadays. Up from the 9-10 I was getting before...

Total weight around 160kg
Add another 150 when fully loaded up

my 550 with 4000 on the clock gets 9.8 round town and 8.4 on freeway , on average it does 750 klms till the light comes on i reckon on a long trip i could get 800 , alot better than my old st

Fuel economy

Yeh,
I get about 9.5lt /100k around town, but hit the hwy at 110k+ and get about 10.5 {6 speed Manual} Upto 100klm/hr economy not bad. Go over by 10-15ks and slurps more.

ive put about 5k on the manual ST now, and are regularly getting 8.8-9.0 around town and 9.0-9.5 if travelling at 110km on gps (117km on speedo).
Also fuel economy reading on the trip computer is always -8-10% of real world figures.
Towed a small boat (prob around 500kgs) & returned around 10-10.5 @ 110km/h & down to 9.5 when @ 100km/h.
For one whole tank i got 8lt/100km around town, don't know what was up with that, but it hasn't happened since.

i was getting 8.3 per hundred on the hyway and as soon as i lifted it and put some 265's on it it jumped to 9.4, it's amazing that even small mods play with the fuel econemy but it's only got 500ks on it.

I have the YD25 Pathy (so pretty much the same) and my economy has been the baine of my exsistance since i bought it 2 years ago.
The day i bought it in Canberra, i drove it back to Sydney and saw figures in the mid 9's which i thought was great.
After driving around sydney for a while, the next time i hit the Hwy i couldnt get it below 11.
Bought a chip, brought it down a tad but nothing impressive. its back up now due to getting muddies.
Ive done relearns, filters, oils, injector cleans etc etc but to no avail. I gave up and just put up with it now...
I can only think to replace the injectors but $$$ doesnt grow on trees.

11's in a 2 year old vehicle isn't that bad especially with mud tyres. Sure 9's are good and some of us can get figures similar to that in the older cars but 11's is on the low side of average for this forum.

I don't have a computer that gives me figures, but from working it out from filling it up and working out the km's, I get high 11's / low 12's with mine.
King Cab with 285/75x16 mud tyres.

The thing ways more than the average 6 cylinder family car and most 6 cylinder family cars that your average family have get around 10-12/100K's so it's not too bad.

Well I setup the Torque app on my smartphone over the weekend. Used it to check my average litres/100 km's and average Km's/litre.

I tells me, on average I'm burning 7.5 litres / 100K's and getting around 11-13 km's per litre.

I got 6.1 between here and my parents place the other day...pity I can't get that out of an entire tank

Back