D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah Nav's didn't get econ meters until either 2010 or maybe 2011, mines an 09 and I use Scangauge.

Oh Ok I thought someone said 2011's had them, maybe it was only the STX, although the KC is STX spec isn't it?

Oh Ok I thought someone said 2011's had them, maybe it was only the STX, although the KC is STX spec isn't it?

Mine is, but that doesn't mean anything. Bravobrad's kingcab is an stx, but it didn't get electric mirrors, but mine did.

Looks like they put whatever they had on hand at the time into these things.

Could well be the case.

My late 2011 KC is an STX. Has most goodies but I was a little dissapointed when I picked it up as I didn't do my homework well enough. Thought it going to have climate control but it dont.

Back on topic. The fuel consumption is not bad, low to mid 9's can get into the 8's if I drive like grandma.

Is that from filling up and noting down your start and stop k's per tank or by using a smartphone app like Torque?

Filling up. K's divdied by litres.
The vehicle has a steel bar, driving lights and snorkel, otherwise stock standard.
Toneau on if that makes a difference? Forgot to mention it's a manual.

My late 2011 KC is an STX. Has most goodies but I was a little dissapointed when I picked it up as I didn't do my homework well enough. Thought it going to have climate control but it dont.

I was annoyed when they didn't offer it as an option in 09, my Pulsar had it back in 2001. But alas if we all had climate control we'd probably all be reporting higher figures because just like George can't drive on auto pilot economically he probably can't operate the a/c economically either.

My 2008 STX auto dual cab has been getting progressively worse on fuel consumption. At first it did around 10 litre per 100k, but recently it has run out to 15 to 16 l/100k. Towing the caravan it was up around 22 to 24. After 4 attempts by Nissan to fix it, (each time they said nothing wrong and it was my driving!) I took it to a Dynomometer tuning service. 20 horses (15 KiloWatts) had escaped from under the bonnet, the cause they said was the dirty Air Flow Monitor. They cleaned it with contact cleaner, put the Navara back on the Dyno and the horses were back, the torque was back to normal and the fuel consumption is down to about 10 again.
The air flow monitor tells the engine management system how much fuel to put in, so if it is giving wrong reading, then the fuel air ratio is wrong and the performance drops off. Talking to a Nissan mechanic, their test for the Air Flow Monitor is "working or not working" so if it does not work properly they don't know.
Still got to check the consumption when towing the caravan, but so far it looks good.

Another trip to perth and for me some extreme differences in fuel use, left wickham with rods on the roof, tray loaded to the hilt, decent amount of weight and a 7x4 trailer with an 80 year old jarrah cot on it, not a huge amount of weight in the trailer but noticeable when driving, started off at about 15.6/100 and eventually settled to 13 after a few hundred kays, got about 200km north of canarvon and got a bit of a headwind which gradually got worse and I watched the average on the scanguage rise..., normally ill get an easy 600+ from a tank, wind got worse leaving canarvon with the scanguage reading almost 22 and my fuel light came on after 415km, fuelled up in Northampton and economy gradually improved to about 15 till perth. Unloaded the trailer and drove to mandurah to visit family.... On the way back, using cruise control and sitting on between 102 - 113kph depending on speed zone and traffic my scanguage was reading 7.2l/100km, i'd filled up in mandurah and tank was showing near full when I arrived in nollamara north of Perth.
Pretty large contrast in fuel use I must say.

Last year traveling around Perth (mainly between the city and Rockingham) I was getting into the 7's on some trips and averaging 8's in my 09. I know alot of people complain about Perth roads and traffic but compared to eastern states I love it when I can get fuel figures like that. I'd be pushing to get 8's in Melbourne let alone averaging 8's and getting into the 7's.

Yeah but you have to understand how scangauge gets it figures to understand why the figures change like they do.

It's not quite as simple as this but basically, you drive off and the ECU is reporting a figure of something silly like 50lhk because you have your foot down and are going slow while you speed up and if you could maintain that speed and fuel usage you would use 50l per 100 ks.

The further you go the better your averages become because you get closer to that 100km mark. Once you have done 50ks you are still using a similar amount of fuel when starting from a stop (there will be some change for a warm engine etc) but your fuel LHK at that point in time is now based on 50ks of travel, simple mathematics says that the same fuel pumped in at 50ks as at 0ks must give a better LHK reading.

As I say there is more to it like the fact that the ECU does not give instantaneous readings to any ECU reader and that warming of engines etc but that's the basic gist of having LHK drop over distance, you aren't necessarily using more diesel.

Well gents, I've just purchased a 2013 D40 I pick it up on Thursday and I'm hoping it will get better economy than my current 100 series landcruiser that got about 16-18 per 100.... Hmm

Your 2013 should get shitloads better than that. Many newer model owners are talking about figures between 8 and 10.

Welcome to the forums.

Can anyone point me to the process to be followed to clean the MAF?

Hey mate it's connected to you air box intake between the turbo and airbox.. I have put a photo up of it for your reference. I also have this one as a spare if you need a replacement by any chance. All you need to do is buy MAF cleaner from autobharn or super cheap and use the small pipe thy comes with it to spray it into the sensor. When you pull it out you will notice it points a certain direction where air flow enters it and a bunch of resistors and wires inside be very careful not to touch these elements with the tip of the pipe or you risk damaging it.. Spray it generously inside and all over for a good clean I usually use almost half a can of the stuff.. Good luck

Attachments

• image-571030690.jpg
    image-571030690.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 93
give me the gutless td27anyday none of this crap the only spares i had was fan belts that i never used just having a laugh guys still wish i had that d21 62kwts yeah

Back