D40 Exhaust q's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunus88

Reaction score
Hey guys, done as much searching as I can but to no real avail.

Just after some info on exhausts...

I have a 2008 Spanish D40 auto. Currently has a 3" DPF back exhaust. How can I get more of an exhaust note out of it?

The muffler in place is tiny and simply for defect reasons opted to get one put in even if it has little to no muffling capabilities.

I saw on here a thread about someone partly hollowing out the material inside the DPF...Will this allow for more of an exhaust note?

Any help would be great.

Not looking to replace factory dump/cat.

Love to hear some thoughts on this too.ive got a manual king cab,i unbolted the sorst just near the gearbox....thought i was in for a treat.....no change really....dissapointment then set in,

Love to hear some thoughts on this too.ive got a manual king cab,i unbolted the sorst just near the gearbox....thought i was in for a treat.....no change really....dissapointment then set in,

theres no equal to a 3" straight through

I have a stock exhaust with the factory muffler removed and a straight piece of pipe in its place and you can hear the turbo whistle loud and clear while going through the gears.
You can remove the muffler and it will still be legal, you just cant remove the "CAT" thats not saying people dont remove the "cat"
I intend on punching all the guts out of mine soon and put back the carcass just so its looks like the cat is there and i wont run the risk of getting a fine.

Without changing dump pipe and cat you wont get any noise!! I have 2.5" no muffler and stock dump and still quiet as..

Without changing dump pipe and cat you wont get any noise!! I have 2.5" no muffler and stock dump and still quiet as..

Are you saying dont bother with the muffler removal.and have you got a auto or manual?...im manual with no dpf (?) Pipe....could do a temp cat removal i suppose and see how it sounds.

My 2012 changed dramatically just by removing the muffler on the stock system,
the turbo noise is very obvious now even when parked and free revving it.

Imo he has i 3' system already but its still running a muffler if he removes the muffler it should make more if a difference.
Its never going to sound like a big truck.

Last edited:
Guys, before I put my 3" DPF back exhaust on I started it up with just the factory dump/cat and DPF in place, no exhaust after that. Still incredibly quiet.

My question was removing the DPF will it be louder? One person out of 20 responses bothered to read that haha.

I honestly cbf removing the cat and factory dump. Too many issues for little gains. NOTE: I have an auto with DPF.

Guys, before I put my 3" DPF back exhaust on I started it up with just the factory dump/cat and DPF in place, no exhaust after that. Still incredibly quiet.

My question was removing the DPF will it be louder? One person out of 20 responses bothered to read that haha.

I honestly cbf removing the cat and factory dump. Too many issues for little gains. NOTE: I have an auto with DPF.

mate i read the part about you having a dpf in your original post but as i dont own a ute with the dreaded thing i couldnt honestly comment.

anyway what is it want or should i say what is it you expect your 2.5lt diesel motor to sound like?
Even a 4.2 lt patrol with a straight through system isnt really that loud at all, so maybe your expectations are a bit high
have you heard another YD2.5 that you like the sound of and you are chasing the same note??

Last edited:
Not from the exhaust like from patrols or D22's with straight through exhausts.. Im hoping when i eventually get around to doing the dump pipe i will.

Well if just with the DPF on it is "Still incredibly quiet", can we just end the exhaust after the dpf?
For sure by doing this the flow will improve, won't it?

hi guys

I called a couple of exhaust shops today and not one would help me out on a muffler delete pipe. all cited illegal and one even said it affects the filters and sensors(?) in the exhaust and destroys the back pressure. ive read the bigger discussions on here about back pressure etc especially from diesel tuner when he was northside, does that mean these goons r talking crap? where and how nathand did u get ur delete pipe from mate? has affected anything on ur truck? I cant afford a full system anytime soon and the removal of the muffler makes the easiest mod for me to do.

cheers

It depends on what your looking for , its going to make zero difference to your performance , unless your original system is clapped out . and you wont gain any note so to speak , but it certainly wont harm anything and i dont know why it would be illegal

Back